adespotoskyli wrote:
The question is why he considers carbon wheelset in the first place ! Smile
for a more snappy feel, but it is still on the drawing board

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 11:22 Quote
Snap is how a carbon rim sounds when comes close with a rock :p

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 11:27 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
Snap is how a carbon rim sounds when comes close with a rock :p
this is where free lifetime replacement with no questions asked comes into play Wink

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 11:46 Quote
Can't imagine replacing rims for a lifetime even for free hahahahahahaha. Where I ride pretty much no carbon rim survived more than a few rides. Every riding buddy who had carbon wheelsets as standard on new bikes, they changed to alu after the first broken rim, that didn't take long. I can see the benefits on light cross country bikes but not in the kind of riding I do

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 12:08 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
Can't imagine replacing rims for a lifetime even for free hahahahahahaha. Where I ride pretty much no carbon rim survived more than a few rides. Every riding buddy who had carbon wheelsets as standard on new bikes, they changed to alu after the first broken rim, that didn't take long. I can see the benefits on light cross country bikes but not in the kind of riding I do
heh yeah fair enough. I do think it will help me, my riding is a lot of sharp turns and steep short up and down, plus every trail here is fairly long distance, even the very gravity orientated places, but yeah 100% still on the drawing board and probably not going to happen.Big Grin

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 12:28 Quote
What's your plans on suspension and brakes?

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 13:41 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
oh I got the full build, so super deluxe ultimate, lyrik ultimate 2021, MT5 brakes (I already run those on my jeffsy)
I will probably megneg the shock and put a couple of tokens into the lyrik

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 16:16 Quote
This beast continues to amaze! With my mish mosh suspension (Fox 36 talas/Fox nude tr), she’s quite a stable killer.
She’s a do it all that will climb all day, rip some flowy poppy trails in 135/120 short travel mode, and make the steepest rock gardens disappear in 160/160 full travel mode.

I’ve made some changes; 200mm PNW dropper and went from a 30mm to 40mm stem.

Don’t forget to double wrap that rear brake hose folks.

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 20:27 Quote
Victory80 wrote:
This beast continues to amaze! With my mish mosh suspension (Fox 36 talas/Fox nude tr), she’s quite a stable killer.
She’s a do it all that will climb all day, rip some flowy poppy trails in 135/120 short travel mode, and make the steepest rock gardens disappear in 160/160 full travel mode.

I’ve made some changes; 200mm PNW dropper and went from a 30mm to 40mm stem.

Don’t forget to double wrap that rear brake hose folks.

photo

photo

photo

Nice build buddy! Really cool frame wrap! and definitely I'm double wrapping the brake hose as it shows some scuff and rubbing signs. I never really got well with the dual position forks as I could never get my saddle position to be comfy in either setting, let alone the fact that performance was never on par with a normal air/coil set up. But the shock looks like it can work, never tried it though

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 at 11:56 Quote
NordicRider wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
oh I got the full build, so super deluxe ultimate, lyrik ultimate 2021, MT5 brakes (I already run those on my jeffsy)
I will probably megneg the shock and put a couple of tokens into the lyrik

Out of interest, what effect would you anticipate with the megneg would have on the 161?

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 at 14:13 Quote
Same as on any bike: less support in the first half of the travel and more support in the latter half.

The 161 has a moderately progressive, nearly linear motion ratio curve that won't present anything weird and doesn't have anything weird that needs to be fixed with unusual damper or spring configurations.

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 at 15:11 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Same as on any bike: less support in the first half of the travel and more support in the latter half.

The 161 has a moderately progressive, nearly linear motion ratio curve that won't present anything weird and doesn't have anything weird that needs to be fixed with unusual damper or spring configurations.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Based on what I've heard about the megneg, that its not a general upgrade, rather a fix for specific problems, I didn't think the 161 would really be a good candidate . I'd be still be interested to here people's experiences if they do decide to try it.

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 at 15:42 Quote
I see it differently: why wouldn't you want a smoother spring curve? The MegNeg should be viewed as the default and springs with tiny negative chambers should be viewed as workarounds for screwy linkages.

Only a weird leverage curve would benefit from the lumpy spring curve caused by a small negative chamber. To be fair, though, these screwy linkages were usually developed as workarounds for screwy shocks with too-small negative chambers.

I'll talk about it with my friend who owns the 161. Will also try to get some time on his bike.

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 1:47 Quote
Yeah R-M-R pretty much summed up why I would want megneg. I am just hoping that the bike comes this week, so that I can throw on the stuff I have bought for it, instead of having it laying around taking up space on my desk.

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 3:58 Quote
For me the megneg was an improvement, more supple off the top. Although did get some midstroke harshness, so reduced the negative by two bands, which as a better compromise. For me the stock damping is too much and was finding the shock packing down on repeated hits, had the low speed rebound and comression wound fully open.

IMO, the damping on the monarchs used to be pretty weak and I had them pretty much fully closed at 90kg, now I'm the complete opposite, interesting video with CRC/Rockshox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk3gaCb8-5c
Personalyl I'd like to be in the middle of the adjustement range, you have somewhere to go then.

Fitted a X2 last week, not had one since my Giant Reign, mega bit of kit as you arn't trying to match the front end to the back, making compromises. The Lyrik RC2 has a good range of adjusment and the X2 the same, can get them feeling very close and resulting in a balanced bike. Bike was already quick, its just got faster.

Went for the older version, as didn't like the idea of being at the mercy of the shock builders taking a punt at the tune and being miles off for the new 2021 X2 !

161 Fox X2

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017306
Mobile Version of Website