Privateer Bikes 161

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Privateer Bikes 161
Author Message
Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 2:51 Quote
BSV wrote:
Any P1 and P2 size owners out there, I’m in between sizes at 171cm and looking for a bit of advice. I’m leaning towards the p1 but mainly for the 27.5 wheel size. I would hate to be to cramped though. Coming from a medium 2017 reign 1 and no matter how much I drill down on specs I seem to still be torn. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm 170 and I ride a P1, for two main reasons: 27.5 and the fact that my previous bike was extremely short in reach (Spe SX Trail size S). I put the saddle all the way back and added a +5 mm reach headset from WorksComponents. Note also that I've a 45 mm stem.
While seated it's short but usable, and I found the bike particularly efficient on steep climbs due to saddle position and rear suspension kinematics and shock.
On downhills it's a mix between stability, playfulness, liveliness, which I appreciate.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 4:21 Quote
jkalis wrote:
BSV wrote:
Any P1 and P2 size owners out there, I’m in between sizes at 171cm and looking for a bit of advice. I’m leaning towards the p1 but mainly for the 27.5 wheel size. I would hate to be to cramped though. Coming from a medium 2017 reign 1 and no matter how much I drill down on specs I seem to still be torn. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm 170 and I ride a P1, for two main reasons: 27.5 and the fact that my previous bike was extremely short in reach (Spe SX Trail size S). I put the saddle all the way back and added a +5 mm reach headset from WorksComponents. Note also that I've a 45 mm stem.
While seated it's short but usable, and I found the bike particularly efficient on steep climbs due to saddle position and rear suspension kinematics and shock.
On downhills it's a mix between stability, playfulness, liveliness, which I appreciate.

Thanks for all the replies on this one. Gives me something to really think about.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 23:39 Quote
If anyone received a complete, did the front brake come on the left side? If not, I can't imagine having to spend a few hours correcting that when the bike arrives.This should be a standard question when ordering.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 23:46 Quote
A few hours?! Mate if it takes you that long to swap a couple hoses just pay your lbs to do it. Far less hassle.

Edit - I forgot it came with maguras that's just a few bolts

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 0:05 Quote
spankthewan wrote:
If anyone received a complete, did the front brake come on the left side? If not, I can't imagine having to spend a few hours correcting that when the bike arrives.This should be a standard question when ordering.
yes it came on the left side. Also with magura brakes you can simply rotate the lever around to make it for the other side, this isn't shimano where there is a specific left and right lever, just simply flip them around if you want to switch sides.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 15:46 Quote
NordicRider wrote:
with magura brakes you can simply rotate the lever around to make it for the other side, this isn't shimano where there is a specific left and right lever, just simply flip them around if you want to switch sides.
That’s great news. I’ve had shit luck with Shimano olives and barbs, and replacing a cable on each brake, bleeding, etc. would definitely take a couple hours. First time on Magura, and I can’t argue with that design.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 9:51 Quote
Anybody here that run coil on the 161 and know how strong of a spring I would need for 86-88kg/190-194lbs with riding gear?
I have been thinking about getting the rockshox SD ultimate coil with that sexy red spring.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 11:04 Quote
NordicRider wrote:
Anybody here that run coil on the 161 and know how strong of a spring I would need for 86-88kg/190-194lbs with riding gear?
I have been thinking about getting the rockshox SD ultimate coil with that sexy red spring.

https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator

At 100kg i ended up with a 500 spring on my Öhlins. I am still waiting for a new tune, but as is, the 500 is slightly to soft for my preference.

I guess the best thing to do is to get some inexpensive springs in different weights before buying a lightweight one

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 11:08 Quote
bengtleon wrote:
NordicRider wrote:
Anybody here that run coil on the 161 and know how strong of a spring I would need for 86-88kg/190-194lbs with riding gear?
I have been thinking about getting the rockshox SD ultimate coil with that sexy red spring.

https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator

At 100kg i ended up with a 500 spring on my Öhlins. I am still waiting for a new tune, but as is, the 500 is slightly to soft for my preference.

I guess the best thing to do is to get some inexpensive springs in different weights before buying a lightweight one

The SD coil spring isn't expensive or light. Also spring calculators are your friend. Though I might point out I'm running 50 to 75 pounds more than the spring calculator reccomends.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 11:19 Quote
bengtleon wrote:
NordicRider wrote:
Anybody here that run coil on the 161 and know how strong of a spring I would need for 86-88kg/190-194lbs with riding gear?
I have been thinking about getting the rockshox SD ultimate coil with that sexy red spring.

https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator

At 100kg i ended up with a 500 spring on my Öhlins. I am still waiting for a new tune, but as is, the 500 is slightly to soft for my preference.

I guess the best thing to do is to get some inexpensive springs in different weights before buying a lightweight one
I got a friend to calculate it with some bike frame program he has and he found that based upon this bikes linkage a 475 (473) should fit me best for 30% sag, bit annoying. I see that tftuned says 450 (443) hmm

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 14:21 Quote
I’m running a Sprindex adjustable coil on my DVO Jade shock. I weigh 200 geared up and have the coil set at 485 currently and it feels really good. Might bump it up To 500 when I ride bike park.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 5:15 Quote
Hoser007 wrote:
I’m running a Sprindex adjustable coil on my DVO Jade shock. I weigh 200 geared up and have the coil set at 485 currently and it feels really good. Might bump it up To 500 when I ride bike park.
yeah I really just wanted that red spring, but that doesn't seem to be a option since only Rockshox makes red springs and they increase with 50lbs

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 9:37 Quote
It looks like bikes are delayed until at least October wk3, for those of us who were originally September wk4. A few days ago they were supposedly on time, and I scheduled time off from work based on that feedback. Somewhat frustrating, but also not a huge surprise. I just wish they were more forthcoming regarding delivery dates.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 10:34 Quote
I got october week 1 in my email this morning.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 10:45 Quote
I got October WK4 unfortunately but I’m sure things are tricky enough right now.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006890
Mobile Version of Website