Privateer Bikes 161

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Privateer Bikes 161
Posted: Jan 7, 2021 at 11:15 Quote
I believe second batch.

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 at 12:23 Quote
I think a few people had allignment issues with early frames. BikeRadar had issues with theirs. Seems to be sorted now

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 at 22:04 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
gpgalanis wrote:
What were the issues with your frames?

First frame had a dented headtube, they replaced. Second frame had notchy bearings from the start in the rocker, they credited me. Drive side main pivot bearing seat is out of tolerance and far too tight causing notchiness even in brand new bearings. They credited me for more bearings and told me to do whatever is necessary and send them reciepts. I'm looking into getting it machined.

Thanks for the feedback.

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 1:02 Quote
First ride in with the 161, I really like the way this bike pedals despite being hefty, seating position is very natural but it requires some time to get used to it.

Riding the bike requires a different driving style compared to my old one (Commencal Meta AM29), can’t just sit back and be a “passenger” you actually have to ride it and keep that front end under pressure, which is rewarding! I really like the way it handle the rough stuff, suspension is quite more progressive compared to the Commencal. I got to mess around with the stem spacers, still very early for an actual verdict.

I couldn’t resist weighing her, came in at 16240gr (with tire inserts and Nukeproof Horizon CL pedals, Hope Brakes) which is about the same as my Commencal, totally fine for a big bike, well chuffed with it I would say!

photo

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 1:34 Quote
IliasArk wrote:
First ride in with the 161, I really like the way this bike pedals despite being hefty, seating position is very natural but it requires some time to get used to it.

Riding the bike requires a different driving style compared to my old one (Commencal Meta AM29), can’t just sit back and be a “passenger” you actually have to ride it and keep that front end under pressure, which is rewarding! I really like the way it handle the rough stuff, suspension is quite more progressive compared to the Commencal. I got to mess around with the stem spacers, still very early for an actual verdict.

I couldn’t resist weighing her, came in at 16240gr (with tire inserts and Nukeproof Horizon CL pedals, Hope Brakes) which is about the same as my Commencal, totally fine for a big bike, well chuffed with it I would say!

photo
Good to hear the weight, doesn't seem too bad considering it's got a coil shock on it, tyre inserts, and weighed with pedals. What size is it?

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 1:47 Quote
melonhead1145 wrote:
Good to hear the weight, doesn't seem too bad considering it's got a coil shock on it, tyre inserts, and weighed with pedals. What size is it?

It’s a P2!

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 3:41 Quote
Hello guys, Looking into getting a P3 161 but I am a little worried that a few of the reviews I have seen, mention that you need to be a "proper" rider to get the most out of it. I am not a particularly gifted rider, I will be 50 in two months, carrying a few injuries and I would say "average" at best. I will use the 161 for my annual Morzine trip, BPW and local areas like Chicksands and Aston Hill. I have my Whyte S-120 for the majority of my riding so I am not looking for an everyday bike.
The geometry figures dont look too dissimilar (apart from seat angle) to the likes of the 2021 Meta AM or Propain Spindrif, or Nukeproof Mega which are other ones that I am looking at, and they are all unavailable for a few months like the 161.

Question - Am I out of my league with the 161?

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 4:10 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
Hello guys, Looking into getting a P3 161 but I am a little worried that a few of the reviews I have seen, mention that you need to be a "proper" rider to get the most out of it. I am not a particularly gifted rider, I will be 50 in two months, carrying a few injuries and I would say "average" at best. I will use the 161 for my annual Morzine trip, BPW and local areas like Chicksands and Aston Hill. I have my Whyte S-120 for the majority of my riding so I am not looking for an everyday bike.
The geometry figures dont look too dissimilar (apart from seat angle) to the likes of the 2021 Meta AM or Propain Spindrif, or Nukeproof Mega which are other ones that I am looking at, and they are all unavailable for a few months like the 161.

I am not sure if you got to be an above than average rider to ride this bike, it just requires a different riding style and it will reward you by doing so, 50 is the new 30 so yeah, go for it!

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 8:07 Quote
Looking into getting a P3 161 but I am a little worried that a few of the reviews I have seen, mention that you need to be a "proper" rider to get the most out of it. ...
Question - Am I out of my league with the 161?[/Quote]

Here's the missing footnote... "This does not apply to riders with a second bike option for tamer trails."

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 8:57 Quote
IliasArk wrote:
melonhead1145 wrote:

It’s a P2!

Nice, I've got a P2 on order, so hoping it will be under 16KGs with pedals seems to be realistic

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 9:03 Quote
melonhead1145 wrote:
IliasArk wrote:
melonhead1145 wrote:

It’s a P2!

Nice, I've got a P2 on order, so hoping it will be under 16KGs with pedals seems to be realistic

Pretty sure you can make this happen, I have swapped stock crankset and derailleur for the XT counterparts which are lighter but it’s still possible to end up with a sub 16kg bike, although I am not really concerned about the weight.

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 13:28 Quote
thedad71 wrote:

Having recently owned and/or ridden the 161, Mega and Meta (2019), the Mega is the easiest to ride. Personally I think that you'll find it easier to get on with at Chicksands and Aston Hill and not be held back in any way in Morzine.

I feel that with the 161 both rider and terrain need to be fairly aggressive to reap the benefits compared to some other options.

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 15:23 Quote
Personally then I don't think the terrain needs to be that aggressive or anything like that for the 161, but I think the rider needs to be input heavy, not afraid of leaning the bike and use body inputs to make it do what you want it to do. I came from a jeffsy with the old geo and this honestly suits me better even though I didn't think that I was that input heavy/aggressive in my approach to riding.

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 2:29 Quote
IliasArk wrote:
melonhead1145 wrote:
IliasArk wrote:

It’s a P2!

Pretty sure you can make this happen, I have swapped stock crankset and derailleur for the XT counterparts which are lighter but it’s still possible to end up with a sub 16kg bike, although I am not really concerned about the weight.

Totally duable, my first build weight 15,3kg with proper tires. But Carbon wheels, carbon cranks and carbon bar.
I am now converting it to coil and big ass tires, weight now should be 17kgs without the coilfork

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 4:04 Quote
In summer and in the alps, I found that less than 17kg is not reliable.
In winter I swapped the dh tirés for something lighter.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013256
Mobile Version of Website