Privateer Bikes 161

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Privateer Bikes 161
Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 13:18 Quote
guiv34 wrote:
In summer and in the alps, I found that less than 17kg is not reliable.
In winter I swapped the dh tirés for something lighter.

Well my Schwalbe tires weight 1,45kg front and 1,35 back.

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 18:25 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
Hello guys, Looking into getting a P3 161 but I am a little worried that a few of the reviews I have seen, mention that you need to be a "proper" rider to get the most out of it. I am not a particularly gifted rider, I will be 50 in two months, carrying a few injuries and I would say "average" at best. I will use the 161 for my annual Morzine trip, BPW and local areas like Chicksands and Aston Hill. I have my Whyte S-120 for the majority of my riding so I am not looking for an everyday bike.
The geometry figures dont look too dissimilar (apart from seat angle) to the likes of the 2021 Meta AM or Propain Spindrif, or Nukeproof Mega which are other ones that I am looking at, and they are all unavailable for a few months like the 161.

Question - Am I out of my league with the 161?

Probably not, I disagree with the idea that you need to be an expert rider to enjoy it. However, I would suggest being honest about what and where you ride, I think the bike is best suited to the kinds of terrain advanced riders like. Sounds like you've already thought about this given you have another ride, too.

I've found my Privateer proves a point: everything is a tradeoff. I really like mine, but I have unusually long legs for my height which tends to make a bike that advertises a 76* STA way too slack by the time my saddle is actually at riding height. I also ride steep stuff almost exclusively. If I rode rolling terrain my hands and arms would hurt and I would be bummed. The 161 is the most comfortable climber I have ridden. Downhill is predictably great, but that's to be expected with RS Ultimate level suspension and FSR linkage.

Mine is also heavy...but I'm heavy, 180lbs. When I ride light bikes they're always broken. With almost any stock bike by the time I've broken and replaced all the parts that were too light or not sesrviceable, any bike ends up heavy. For example, my old Capra was advertised to be 30lbs. But that was for a size small, no tire inserts, unreliable pressfit BB, shitty SRAM cranks, crappy 28 spoke wheels that were always broken, crap dropper, etc, etc. My Privateer is 37lbs, but my "30lb" Capra was 35lbs in size XL after I scraped off all the parts that sucked.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 4:59 Quote
ryande wrote:
thedad71 wrote:
Hello guys, Looking into getting a P3 161 but I am a little worried that a few of the reviews I have seen, mention that you need to be a "proper" rider to get the most out of it. I am not a particularly gifted rider, I will be 50 in two months, carrying a few injuries and I would say "average" at best. I will use the 161 for my annual Morzine trip, BPW and local areas like Chicksands and Aston Hill. I have my Whyte S-120 for the majority of my riding so I am not looking for an everyday bike.
The geometry figures dont look too dissimilar (apart from seat angle) to the likes of the 2021 Meta AM or Propain Spindrif, or Nukeproof Mega which are other ones that I am looking at, and they are all unavailable for a few months like the 161.

Probably not, I disagree with the idea that you need to be an expert rider to enjoy it. However, I would suggest being honest about what and where you ride, I think the bike is best suited to the kinds of terrain advanced riders like. Sounds like you've already thought about this given you have another ride, too.

I've found my Privateer proves a point: everything is a tradeoff. I really like mine, but I have unusually long legs for my height which tends to make a bike that advertises a 76* STA way too slack by the time my saddle is actually at riding height. I also ride steep stuff almost exclusively. If I rode rolling terrain my hands and arms would hurt and I would be bummed. The 161 is the most comfortable climber I have ridden. Downhill is predictably great, but that's to be expected with RS Ultimate level suspension and FSR linkage.

Mine is also heavy...but I'm heavy, 180lbs. When I ride light bikes they're always broken. With almost any stock bike by the time I've broken and replaced all the parts that were too light or not sesrviceable, any bike ends up heavy. For example, my old Capra was advertised to be 30lbs. But that was for a size small, no tire inserts, unreliable pressfit BB, shitty SRAM cranks, crappy 28 spoke wheels that were always broken, crap dropper, etc, etc. My Privateer is 37lbs, but my "30lb" Capra was 35lbs in size XL after I scraped off all the parts that sucked.
Thanks Mate, that's good to hear. I am 6ft and nearly 200lbs. I have just put a deposit on a black P3, should be ready at the end of May.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 6:01 Quote
thedad71 wrote:

I have a P3 size 161, I’m 5’10” and 80kg, inside leg 32” and size 9 shoe ????
I had a 27.5” Canyon Strive Race 2017 in Medium which just felt so small after riding a 29” Orange P7 for a while. I sold the Canyon kept the P7 and bought the Privateer which so far I’ve ridden 4 times ????
The Privateer can take anything but I’m yet to have it down anything really techy and steep, but due to the length on the beast it’ll be spot on.
I do think that occasionally it’s a bit much for some of the trails I ride so that’s when the P7 comes out for some fun.
Horses for courses ????????Stay golden pony boy!

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 7:10 Quote
Someone has a DPX2 on it and can help me for basic settings for a 200lbs kited dude? The factory settings are not really good enough (not smooth). Felling not good as the Super Deluxe. Despite the fact that I have a to soft spring and just bought 25lbs and 50lbs more.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 9:19 Quote
Serpentras wrote:
Someone has a DPX2 on it and can help me for basic settings for a 200lbs kited dude? The factory settings are not really good enough (not smooth). Felling not good as the Super Deluxe. Despite the fact that I have a to soft spring and just bought 25lbs and 50lbs more.

Start with the correct spring rate first and then set up the rest, a too soft spring can cause a harsh ride as the damper is constantly over working to keep up with the terrain.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 9:07 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
mjs1231 wrote:
just about finished

What's with the bitty front rotor.

wasnt quite finished at the time of the pic. I sold it for 3200.00

covid build lol

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 12:54 Quote
What upgrades or replacements have you guys done to your 161's? I am currently going to change the grips and put a chain guide on. I will cut the bars down to my preferred width of 770mm and possibly swap out the saddle depending on how it feels. These are all personal items though, is there anything I should consider?

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 13:08 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
What upgrades or replacements have you guys done to your 161's? I am currently going to change the grips and put a chain guide on. I will cut the bars down to my preferred width of 770mm and possibly swap out the saddle depending on how it feels. These are all personal items though, is there anything I should consider?

Ive done loads but best thing I upgraded tbh are the Magura MT5 lever blades to the 1 finger blades and grip taped them.
It’s also been Invisiframed and running Cushcore.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 13:13 Quote
adamadey wrote:
thedad71 wrote:

Ive done loads but best thing I upgraded tbh are the Magura MT5 lever blades to the 1 finger blades and grip taped them.
I had MT7's on a previyous bike and really liked them, a possible upgrade if i cant get along with the MT5's. I was also looking at putting the Magura MDR-P rotors on as they look "mean", Does the rear take a 200mm rotor as I'm quite heavy?

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 13:22 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
adamadey wrote:
thedad71 wrote:

I had MT7's on a previyous bike and really liked them, a possible upgrade if i cant get along with the MT5's. I was also looking at putting the Magura MDR-P rotors on as they look "mean", Does the rear take a 200mm rotor as I'm quite heavy?

200mm probs overkill for me but yeah it'll work, you'll just need a new post mount.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 16:26 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
Haven't got mine yet but planning on Invisiframe, and one finger levers as soon as I get it. RRP proguard. EDC pump and tool aswell.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 22:58 Quote
thedad71 wrote:

The main changes I made to the bike was brakes (I used my hope E4 with 220/200mm rotors), coil shock (RS S.Deluxe Coil Ultimate) and a few other things that I dont think that make a huge difference anyway. Bike comes with a chain guide btw.. I am not sure how long this chain guide will last but it does have one.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 23:21 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
adamadey wrote:
thedad71 wrote:

I run magura 220 ebike specific rotors, front and rear, plenty of room to go bigger at the back no worries :p

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 23:23 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
adamadey wrote:
thedad71 wrote:

I find loic bruni lever edition way better than 1finger strd. Check them out

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv23 0.007459
Mobile Version of Website