Privateer Bikes 161

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Privateer Bikes 161
Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 0:47 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
What upgrades or replacements have you guys done to your 161's? I am currently going to change the grips and put a chain guide on. I will cut the bars down to my preferred width of 770mm and possibly swap out the saddle depending on how it feels. These are all personal items though, is there anything I should consider?

I changed bars stem and grips. Did not like the bars at all i tried them full width and then cut them to 785 which is my usual but they are just so harsh riding so I went back to carbon nukeproof and trusty Thomson stem. Only thing I'm still dialling is fork setup. It rides great but I'm definitely not making the most of the travel available. My dvo I had before I was using all travel on most rides but if i set the lyric up like that it just wants to wallow about.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 1:00 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
What upgrades or replacements have you guys done to your 161's? I am currently going to change the grips and put a chain guide on. I will cut the bars down to my preferred width of 770mm and possibly swap out the saddle depending on how it feels. These are all personal items though, is there anything I should consider?

Also just ordered a Rockshox Megneg upgrade kit for the Super Deluxe.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 1:05 Quote
Shoe2190 wrote:
thedad71 wrote:

I changed bars stem and grips. Did not like the bars at all i tried them full width and then cut them to 785 which is my usual but they are just so harsh riding so I went back to carbon nukeproof and trusty Thomson stem. Only thing I'm still dialling is fork setup. It rides great but I'm definitely not making the most of the travel available. My dvo I had before I was using all travel on most rides but if i set the lyric up like that it just wants to wallow about.

Mate I’ve tried so many settings and it still feels like it dives a bit. Running 2 tokens and the LSC fully off seems the best. Going to try 10psi more in the fork see if that helps next time I’m out. Cushcore helps as well, so does consistent tyre pressure which I’m fully lazy about checking.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 3:21 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
thedad71 wrote:
adamadey wrote:

Ive done loads but best thing I upgraded tbh are the Magura MT5 lever blades to the 1 finger blades and grip taped them.
It’s also been Invisiframed and running Cushcore.
I had MT7's on a previyous bike and really liked them, a possible upgrade if i cant get along with the MT5's. I was also looking at putting the Magura MDR-P rotors on as they look "mean", Does the rear take a 200mm rotor as I'm quite heavy?
I find loic bruni lever edition way better than 1finger strd. Check them out

I prefer a straight lever like on SRAM brakes but the Bruni Levers seem to be about £70 per side, the 1 finger HC levers are about £25 per side. The Bruni levers are the same price as the MT5 Brakes!

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 3:48 Quote
220mm Rotors are possible, I am happy with 200 front and rear but I also will upsize them to 220 this year.
Talking about leavers and stuff, Magura is the worst because of the fimpsy leaver body.
All my Maguras are Shigura since 2017. Running with bionol the Trickstuff fluid who is just better because of the viscosity.
My 161 is running with the Direttissima and I don't want to change this brake.
How you could spend so much just with lever's is really beyond me. I even replaced the MT7 leaver body with the Direttissima first because it was same price as a new body and hc3.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 5:26 Quote
Serpentras wrote:
220mm Rotors are possible, I am happy with 200 front and rear but I also will upsize them to 220 this year.
Talking about leavers and stuff, Magura is the worst because of the fimpsy leaver body.
All my Maguras are Shigura since 2017. Running with bionol the Trickstuff fluid who is just better because of the viscosity.
My 161 is running with the Direttissima and I don't want to change this brake.
How you could spend so much just with lever's is really beyond me. I even replaced the MT7 leaver body with the Direttissima first because it was same price as a new body and hc3.

Keep your 200mm rotors for winter riding. The only downside of the 220mm rotors are them not becoming hot enough to work properly when it's below minus. Other than that, you get more power, less fade during long desends and it even if it doesn't matter, I think 29ers looks better with big boy rotors.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 5:39 Quote
I highly recommend trickstuff bb170 power pads for mt5-mt7, It works flawlessly on wet and doesn't fade like originals

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 6:13 Quote
adamadey wrote:
Shoe2190 wrote:
thedad71 wrote:

Mate I’ve tried so many settings and it still feels like it dives a bit. Running 2 tokens and the LSC fully off seems the best. Going to try 10psi more in the fork see if that helps next time I’m out. Cushcore helps as well, so does consistent tyre pressure which I’m fully lazy about checking.

I was able to get my fork feeling pretty good by running ~20 psi more than recommended. I am at 94 psi and two tokens, with both compression settings fully open. I got to play with a shockwiz and it confirmed my settings

Oh also, while setting up the shockwiz the fork was bottoming at the debonair logo, not the crown. So you might be using more travel than you think

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 6:33 Quote
melonhead1145 wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
thedad71 wrote:

I had MT7's on a previyous bike and really liked them, a possible upgrade if i cant get along with the MT5's. I was also looking at putting the Magura MDR-P rotors on as they look "mean", Does the rear take a 200mm rotor as I'm quite heavy?

I prefer a straight lever like on SRAM brakes but the Bruni Levers seem to be about £70 per side, the 1 finger HC levers are about £25 per side. The Bruni levers are the same price as the MT5 Brakes!
that price is for the tit/anium version, I got the alu version for like 30€

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 6:37 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
I highly recommend trickstuff bb170 power pads for mt5-mt7, It works flawlessly on wet and doesn't fade like originals
Never experienced fade with magura original race pads. But have occasionally with sram and shimano. A friend tried trickstuff pads on his codes rsc and loved them, I can imagine will be even better than maguras race pads and when I need new pads I'll give em a try

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 9:19 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
melonhead1145 wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:

Oh I didn't know they did an Alu version, definitely interested in those as I tend to have the bite point further out than some. Where did you find them? All I can find is the titanium ones

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 9:37 Quote
mxracer185 wrote:
adamadey wrote:
Shoe2190 wrote:

I was able to get my fork feeling pretty good by running ~20 psi more than recommended. I am at 94 psi and two tokens, with both compression settings fully open. I got to play with a shockwiz and it confirmed my settings

Oh also, while setting up the shockwiz the fork was bottoming at the debonair logo, not the crown. So you might be using more travel than you think

Interesting. I'm also running 2 tokens and i tried letting all air out the fork and it bottoms on to the crown but maybe in use its not supposed to. Going to measure 170mm up the stantion and see if that's at the debonair logo.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 12:15 Quote
melonhead1145 wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
melonhead1145 wrote:

Oh I didn't know they did an Alu version, definitely interested in those as I tend to have the bite point further out than some. Where did you find them? All I can find is the titanium ones
r2 bikes and bike24 stocks them if iirc. I run shiguras before, used xt m8100 levers, they cost me a bit less than a single lb edition titanium lever, when I saw the alu version I said to give it a go as I didn't like the xt levers much due to the limited range of adjustment and didn't get on with the shape of it, although better than the stupid magura originals

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 12:21 Quote
melonhead1145 wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
melonhead1145 wrote:

https://r2-bike.com/MAGURA-Brake-Lever-HC-LODC-BRUNI-for-MT-Sport-MT4-MT5-MT-Trail-Sport_1

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 15:41 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
melonhead1145 wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:

https://r2-bike.com/MAGURA-Brake-Lever-HC-LODC-BRUNI-for-MT-Sport-MT4-MT5-MT-Trail-Sport_1

Thanks, all the aluminium levers from all the websites I can find are this price for 1 lever. The Bruni levers are quite hard to get hold of it seems

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv23 0.006920
Mobile Version of Website