Chainstay Length Question

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Chainstay Length Question
| Next Page
Posted: Dec 12, 2019 at 7:08 Quote
honestly, right? that would be sick.

Let's try again.

You should go to a bike shop, and try which bikes catch your eye, and once you try 'em and see if you like em, ask what features they have. Then try other bikes with those same features. When you fall in love(happened to all of us) then you pamper that bike and whatnot. Happy bike, Happy life.

Better?

Posted: Dec 12, 2019 at 16:18 Quote
traqs wrote:
this forum seemed to turn into a showcase of the biggest words people know...

To keep it simple, and summarize everything anyone has ever said about chainstay length. This is the KEY to life. The best chainstay length is right below. Everything you have ever wanted to know about bike, and the lottery number. All just down below.

You ready?

Ride the bike and see if you like it.

It's a forum. Forums are meant for discussion. Don't like it? Don't read it. You typed more than I did with your whining about how long my posts are.

It's winter. Demo opportunities range from spotty to non existent.

Stop being a dick.

Posted: Dec 12, 2019 at 18:58 Quote
ATL23, It’s occurring again... take a moment to reflect... d:o(

Posted: Dec 12, 2019 at 20:38 Quote
yo chill homie, that was not my intention at all. I was trying to make a joke mate. The whole key to life thing. Lottery numbers.. I wasn't being serious

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 14:13 Quote
Haha no worries man. It's just a forum.

There are bikes with ultra long chain stays as well as extra short chain stays which are getting great reviews. I'm not too worried about it: it all comes down to how the bikes ride for me.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 20:25 Quote
Can we please agree that chainstay length is 100% rider preference and has nothing to do with rider height! If the rider is new then, they don’t have the personal experience to even know what they like.... so it could be argued that longer stays make for a more stable in-responsive ride and short stays make for a more nimble responsive ride.

Shit, there are guys riding bmx bikes who are 6’ tall using 12.7” chain stays and they aren’t looping out all over the place. Granted there are different facets of mtb like there are bmx, and different length stays are just one measurement, but the chainstay is likely the most noticeable metric.

Me, I’ll take stays that err on the shorter side anytime over long stays that not only make a bike feel planted but also make it feel heavy. Yes I said “feel heavy”. Long stays make bikes “ feel heavy”.

Commence meltdown sequence in 3,2,1 GO

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 22:32 Quote
Ohiomtbwannab wrote:
Can we please agree that chainstay length is 100% rider preference and has nothing to do with rider height!

There will always be a range of preferences, but the typical extents of the range will vary with the size of the rider.

As a thought experiment, imagine a rider 1' tall and a rider 100' tall. I hope it's obvious the giant will want longer stays than the tiny rider. The same effect is true for people of typical height. Less extreme, obviously, but the same trend.

That said, it's possible the range due to preference is so much greater than the proportional change due to height that the latter effectively vanishes. Even if this were the case, it still wouldn't be true that chainstay length has nothing to do with rider height.

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 14:06 Quote
Based on every ride review I've seen and read the consensus is that short chain stays make a bike noticeably easier to manual, to jump and are generally easier to maneuver. Bikes with longer chain stays generally like to stay on the ground.

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 20:43 Quote
yeah i would say so

Posted: Dec 26, 2019 at 16:47 Quote
Oddly enough, pinkbike's favorite enduro bike the specialized enduro, has the same geometry as the despised motobecane Hal boost lol. Both have long 44.2cm chain stays.

Posted: Dec 26, 2019 at 19:46 Quote
it depends on the geo of the rest of the bike, if the chain stay was super short, but the front end incredibly long, they would cancel each other out. kind of, your weight would still be further to the back, but you get the point

Posted: Dec 27, 2019 at 0:34 Quote
ATL23 wrote:
Oddly enough, pinkbike's favorite enduro bike the specialized enduro, has the same geometry as the despised motobecane Hal boost lol. Both have long 44.2cm chain stays.

The XL Hal has about the same reach as the Small Enduro, to look at just one parameter. The geometries are extremely different.

Posted: Dec 27, 2019 at 14:20 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
ATL23 wrote:

The XL Hal has about the same reach as the Small Enduro, to look at just one parameter. The geometries are extremely different.

Impossible.

Posted: Dec 27, 2019 at 23:32 Quote
Longer CS also combines well with a steeper HA and long fork offset to make a bike easier for a beginner to handle, assuming the beginner is hanging off the back of the bike while "feathering" the brakes down a steep hill. With this setup, the bike can be more easily steered at speed to turn.

On a modern bike (long WB and slack HA), which forces you to be more centered to have enough weight on the front wheel for traction, using the same technique will lead to the bike forcing itself straight and making the rider go wide. A skilled rider will force it to lean and execute the turn. A beginner would need to develop this habit in order to ride such a bike.

A downside to the longer CS and steep HA is that there's too much weight on the front for jumps, drops, and doing manuals. The bike will want to rotate forward and can lead to OTB crashes, but luckily most of those features are optional; going at a higher speed also makes drops not require as much of "pull-back" to counter the forward rotation, so a bit of balls, and throwing money at better suspension, can overcome this downside. Riders can develop technique to do safer smaller jumps. The upside is that the bike feels agile and makes trails feel challenging, and thrilling, thanks to the short wheelbase. A long wheelbase might be more stable and able to go faster, but it can kill the fun factor (after the new bike stoke and novelty wears off).

The front center length (front wheel distance from BB) being tuned to the rear center length (horizontal chainstay length) is the key point to focus on. 442mm doesn't mean anything if you're not looking at what's balancing out. 442mm combined with 1250mm WB (Spec Enduro S3) gets a more modern balance than 442mm with 1170mm WB, which is more beginner oriented. 442mm with 1300mm is kinda sketchy, with people wondering if longer CS would be better, which I would agree with (steeper HA would also help). Can't help but wonder why sliding dropouts aren't a thing on FS bikes, so people can dial in CSL themselves.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005425
Mobile Version of Website