Anyone have a Nomad v4 as their do it all bike?

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Anyone have a Nomad v4 as their do it all bike?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 1:37 Quote
Hello, I’m keen to hear from anyone who uses a nomad as a do it all bike. I’ve had a bronson for the last 3 years and it’s been absolutely brilliant. I also have a downhill bike as I’ve found the limits of the bronson but I only use the downhill bike for a week in the alps in summer and uplifts every 6 weeks or so. As my bronson is a bit tired and many of the components ready for replacement, I’m looking at possibly replacing it. The obvious choice for me is a bronson v3 although my other option is If I sell my downhill bike and get a nomad v4 as a one bike for all!. I know the nomad will be great for the uplifts, the alps and some of the riding I do (lakes, Scotland etc) but I also ride occasional trail centres and long days with my family and some of my local riding involves long fairly tame transitions in between the downhills. Has anyone spent time peddling the nomad v4? Is it going to be a chore on all but the big stuff? Really keen to hear any thoughts. Read all the reviews and the verdicts are a bit mixed!

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 1:41 Quote
P.s I’m a bit of a Santa Cruz fanboy not just because I like the bikes but the warranty on the frame, wheels and bearings. Fairly keen to stick with nomad or bronson. I’ve been told I’d be suited to the megatower due to my height 6”3 and riding style.

Cheers

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 12:48 Quote
I use the Nomad as my only bike atm, well besides a dj. It actually feels so similar to my banshee darkside that I ended up selling the darkside, i do miss the dual crown on occasion though. I have zero issues pedaling the nomad on any terrain and can easily do 30+ mile rides. The only part I don't particularly enjoy it on is flatter rolling trails, its made some flow trails unenjoyable even compared to the previous gen nomad which had a shorter reach and was a bit more spirited in ride. I love the bike in the air and on jump lines though, its also a tremendous straight line brawler for a single crown bike. Flat trails with tight corners can be a bit of a drag, but manageable. I don't regret it getting it, but if I was on mellower trails more often I would of been happier with something else.

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 13:57 Quote
Thanks, that’s really helpful. Think I may need to get to a demo event before making a decision, would hate to get the nomad and miss both my current bronson and my DH bike!

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 9:51 Quote
My Nomad 4 is my only ride. Through rolling desert to chunky rocky desert mountain to rocky forest. The rolling desert is boring and I rarely do it and rarely adjust my rear suspension too. But if I was going to do a lot of miles or regular flatter trails I would add 10 or so PSI to the rear to accommodate. I've thrown a 29er up front and the bike rode well as a mullet. I don't think worth having 2 forks do do this but if you were starting from scratch definitely a consideration. The point and smash aspect of the 29 did change my line choice now and then. Could also go with a 180 mm 27.5 fork and there is a company that makes a rear linkage bumping up the travel too for park days. For me the Mega Tower was just being released when I bought my Nomad and the price put it out of reach. Though I would have loved to demo one. I'm sure it would have been a very tough decision between Nomad and Mega. I have no regrets on my choice for Nomad as my do it all bike.
Things though I am looking to upgrade; the Fox Performance Grip with the Grip2. I've added a RUNT to it and I like that so far. Next upgrade the DT Swiss 370 to something else with more engagement. And the Maxxis EXO+ rear was no match for our rocks and that was out after the 1st 100 miles.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005230
Mobile Version of Website