Best Trail Bikes for New England

PB Forum :: USA - East
Best Trail Bikes for New England
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+ FL
Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 18:26 Quote
Hey All, I'm moving to Concord, NH from Oregon. I lived in NE for a couple years and found my Patrol was too much bike for most trails I encountered. Would like to come back with a bike better suited to the terrain. I'm currently looking at either a the new Fuse or a Stumpy ST. What would you all recommend? Short travel or HT 29er?

Posted: Dec 29, 2019 at 12:36 Quote
I find I get by really well with my 29" hardtail mtb, even my cx of hardtail fatty. People definitely rock Santa Cruz tallboys, Yeti SB150s and the likes, but often seem like too much bike for whats around here. I'm in Maine.

Posted: Jan 2, 2020 at 7:40 Quote
I think a lot of it will depend on how aggressive you ride and if you want to do any DH.

I recently made the switch from a 29er hardtail to a Giant Trance advance and happy with the change. I find a lot of the trails in NH have tons of roots or little rocks which on the hardtail can beat you up over long rides and I don't sacrifice to much efficiency with the trance.

FYI if you decide you want a Hardtail 29er I am thinking about selling mine since i don't ride it much anymore, just shoot me a message and I can send over details about it.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 10:11 Quote
It's honestly a question that only you can answer. Think about what you ride 80-90% of the time... where you ride and how you ride will be the determining factor.

I have some friends that think 130mm is overkill, and others that won't ride anything under 160-170mm. I found the sweet spot for me is 150. I'll gladly sacrifice speed up for enjoyment on the way down. I personally don't think I'd enjoy a hardtail on my trails.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 1, 2020 at 7:50 Quote
k2blt wrote:
It's honestly a question that only you can answer. Think about what you ride 80-90% of the time... where you ride and how you ride will be the determining factor.

I have some friends that think 130mm is overkill, and others that won't ride anything under 160-170mm. I found the sweet spot for me is 150. I'll gladly sacrifice speed up for enjoyment on the way down. I personally don't think I'd enjoy a hardtail on my trails.

Well, I'm keeping my Patrol because I love it and I won't be far from Highland. Also, I recently learned about some trails up near North Conway. I've also decided on the Fuse because I think it will allow me to have more fun on my local trails. When I lived down in Plymouth, MA I felt the Patrol was way too much bike for the local trails. Even the better trails in the area like Vietnam and Blue Hills were a little to tame for so much bike.

I'd love to learn about more trails if you wouldn't mind sharing. N. Conway is a couple hours from me so I'd love to learn about anything more local.

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2020 at 10:52 Quote
Since you’ll be in Concord check out Bear Brook state park. Lots of great trails there as well.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 2, 2020 at 18:43 Quote
Harold Parker is a great place to ride and not too far away from you. The trails in Conway are great, but like you said two hours away. People swear by bear brook but I have not made it up there yet. I plan to this summer. Kingdom Trails is great (if they can solve their landowner issues) but again it is a hike. I rode the trails up around patuckaway state park last year and they were fun, except for the bugs.

. I am located on the north shore above Boston so the trails I ride on the regular would be out of the way for you. But hopefully those will give you a couple to start with.

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2020 at 21:14 Quote
I ride a 2018 Santa Cruz Nomad which is 170mm of travel and is definitely overkill for my local trails but I find it manageable because I can lock out my rear shock. The only reason why I ride such a big bike is that I go to bike parks a lot and race some enduro. As long as you can handle it a longer travel bike will work, plus you get an extra workout in.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 23, 2020 at 4:43 Quote
Well, I’m here now and ended up getting the Fuse. I have one ride on it from the day before I left OR and it felt really nice. Can’t wait to see how it handles things around here. I kept my Patrol so I still have something for the bike park or more gnarly riding.
I’ve heard good things about Bear Brook and can’t wait to ride the Fuse almost anywhere. I was waylaid in Kittery due to the virus and curious what folks know about Mt. Agamenticus?

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 17:19 Quote
NERyder wrote:
Harold Parker is a great place to ride and not too far away from you. The trails in Conway are great, but like you said two hours away. People swear by bear brook but I have not made it up there yet. I plan to this summer. Kingdom Trails is great (if they can solve their landowner issues) but again it is a hike. I rode the trails up around patuckaway state park last year and they were fun, except for the bugs.

. I am located on the north shore above Boston so the trails I ride on the regular would be out of the way for you. But hopefully those will give you a couple to start with.

I'm getting back into riding and am looking at picking up a new bike. In the same predicament as the OP. I live 2 miles from HPSF so I'll probably ride there 95% of the time. I've had yet to take my old Gary Fisher FS X-Caliber there as it is a creaky, chain skipping turd.

O+ FL
Posted: May 28, 2020 at 12:35 Quote
Jedi Apprentice
There is a lot of varied terrain in HPSF. I would take the creaky turd bike out there and see a couple trails. There is lower tech stuff like "intestines" trail right near the Skug River trailhead just outside the park proper which is a great flowey loop with liitle tech and easy entry and exit if your bike breaks. Also there are flowy no-tech single tracks around the lake. ON the other hand thee are some gnarley trails and rock rolls and jumps and super techy stuff. I think your riding style will better determine whats the best bike for you and if you put around a couple times in HPSF you should get a feel for what terrain you are drawn to. Couple things I would suggest - reviews are written by people who ride every day in the best true mountains in the world. 90% of the population does not live near Whistler, or have a mountain in their back yard trails. Our area has so much techy, slow, tight, singletracks with sort punchy ups and downs. Be careful about reviews from people who are telling you what rides great in Squamish or out west where the climbs are fireroads and the trails are all pointing down. So their reviews are often based on ripping down a gravity trail at 35mph where longer, lower, slacker is almost always better. Higher bottom brackets, moderate wheelbase and reach, and even 27.5 wheels are out of vogue but often a better choice for riding around here. I ride a ripmo, and while I love aspects of it, I am pedal striking so much more due to the lower BB height and the larger wheelbase that often spans further they the lumpy rocks we are riding over. It is really lively and nimble for a 29er but you still have to muscle it around slow switchbacks and tight turns. Part of the reason I got it was to have a single do it all bike that I can ride at the bike park too and take out west.

Just some thoughts

As far as bikes that are best suited to local trails, I think a trail bike with a 130-150 fork and a 115-130 shock is a good fit for most riding styles. Something with a very supportive pedaling platform (I love DW link) is important as well.

Hope that helps

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016040
Mobile Version of Website