New hardtail, upgrading from the '80s

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
New hardtail, upgrading from the '80s
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 21:50 Quote
Hello Everyone,
So I’m finally moving into the 21st century, mountain bike wise. I’ve been riding a fully rigid Raleigh Technium since I bought it in 1987. I haven’t been on it too much in the past few years but the bug has bit me again and now I’m looking to jump into the deep end.

Not completely deep though. I’ll already be dealing with slacker head angles, tubless tires, 1x drivetrains, handlebars that could steer the Titanic, dropper posts...I’m only going to go so far, only hardtails are being considered. I’ve test ridden a Santa Cruz 5010 for a weekend and loved it but my taste in bikes and my budget lie squarely in the hard tail range.

I love riding all kinds of terrain, short of big jump lines and pure gravity trails. I started when all there was to ride were the trails in the Pacific NW that had been there for decades.

I’ve narrowed it down to 3 models and I’m looking for thoughts and opinions. I’m sold on 27.5 2.5-2.6 being a sweet spot for wheels and tires. From most to least expensive, I’m looking at:

1. Kona Big Honzo St $2400
it’s steel ;-} and tics all the component boxes and current standards I’m happy to start with

2. Whyte 905 $1900
Pike upgrade instead of Revelation shock, 170mm cranks vs probable 175mm for Kona, 180mm rotors F and R, price

3. Vitus Sentier VRS $1600
Shimano shifting with SRAM brakes, 170mm cranks, 140mm vs 130mm shock (130 more than enough), 180mm rotors F and R, PRICE

Keep in mind, I know components can and will be changed/upgraded going forward. I’ve been a shop mechanic in the past and have maintained all our bikes for a few decades.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,
Jay

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 22:42 Quote
Of these, Whyte 905 would be my choice. If spending 2400+, the Whyte T-130 or comparable DTC FS bike....Jeffsy, Spectral...

Posted: 4 hours ago Quote
I'm currently going down this path...it's been long and winding but I've come to a decision...I'm building a Chromag Wideangle frame up. I should fall just under the $2500 mark too when all is said and done (with help from ebay, and PB classified section). There were a few builds out there that I liked, but I was going to have to make some upgrades anyway so, custom build. But, if you're sticking to the list of 3, I'd vote for the Kona.

Previous Page | Next Page

Active Forum Threads
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004435
Mobile Version of Website