24" or 26" wheel dj bike for 5 ft boy?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
24" or 26" wheel dj bike for 5 ft boy?
Previous Page |
Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 1:05 Quote
Hi,
what is best wheel size for 5ft 13yo boy? 24 or 26? How should I choose frame size which allowed him doing some tricks (that he won't wait 2 or 3 years to grow up to frame)? Should I consider Wheel base parameter (the shorter the better)?

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 6:49 Quote
so the min question is do you want to get something that will last, or something he can shred on for a year and then need to upgrade?

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 6:53 Quote
the good thing about dj's is that they are pretty small in comparison to other bikes. wheel size probably doesn't matter too much, BMX uses 20" wheels, and all ages ride them. Its more frame size. Since he is 13, he will be growing a lot soon, so he will proably grow out of a 24" dj pretty quick. Im 16, so only 3 years older, and am 6'1 and ride a large p3... so it all depends on what you want. I reckon it might be tricky to sell a 24" dj too. never seen one for sale used local. Don't quote me on that last bit though

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 7:06 Quote
marekt wrote:
Hi,
what is best wheel size for 5ft 13yo boy? 24 or 26? How should I choose frame size which allowed him doing some tricks (that he won't wait 2 or 3 years to grow up to frame)? Should I consider Wheel base parameter (the shorter the better)?

24" wheels are better for him ESPECIALLY because he wants to do tricks.

Please note though, that there are a wide variety of frame sizes for 24" wheels. There are adult-sized dirt jumpers designed for 24"s as well as youth 24"s.

There are three main benefits of 24"s for a smaller rider:

1) a 24" wheel allows for a shorter back end (shorter chainstays). This makes bunnyhopping significantly easier, and it allows a rider with shorter arms to get well behind the back wheel to learn manuals.

2) a smaller wheel diameter, when spinning, allows for easier rotation of the bike during airs in skatepark bowls, or halfpipes, or during tricks like 180 bunnyhops or 360 bunnyhops. of course 20" BMX wheels make a bike even easier/quicker to rotate for 360s and tailwhips.

3) If he slips a pedal and crashes, a lower rear wheel is a little less likely to slam him in the nuts.

Check out this thread.
Looking for a junior sized dirt jumper for my 10 year old.
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=142400

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 7:14 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
marekt wrote:
Hi,

24" wheels are better for him ESPECIALLY because he wants to do tricks.

Please note though, that there are a wide variety of frame sizes for 24" wheels. There are adult-sized dirt jumpers designed for 24"s as well as youth 24"s.

There are three main benefits of 24"s for a smaller rider:

1) a 24" wheel allows for a shorter back end (shorter chainstays). This makes bunnyhopping significantly easier, and it allows a rider with shorter arms to get well behind the back wheel to learn manuals.

2) a smaller wheel diameter, when spinning, allows for easier rotation of the bike during airs in skatepark bowls, or halfpipes, or during tricks like 180 bunnyhops or 360 bunnyhops. of course 20" BMX wheels make a bike even easier/quicker to rotate for 360s and tailwhips.

3) If he slips a pedal and crashes, a lower rear wheel is a little less likely to slam you in the nuts.

Check out this thread.
Looking for a junior sized dirt jumper for my 10 year old.
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=142400

yes, this is perfect. Explains it all. A 26 will last him longer, assuming you get full size 26, but a 24 will be better for him now, easier to learn, and probably won't get as hurt.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 7:16 Quote
traqs wrote:
yes, this is perfect. Explains it all. A 26 will last him longer, assuming you get full size 26, but a 24 will be better for him now, easier to learn, and probably won't get as hurt.

The NORCO Ryde 24" would be a good choice. It has a 540mm (21.2" inch) horizontal top tube. Normally, in the DJ world, 21.5" "actual" top tube would be considered a Small, 22"-22.5" top tube is an adult Medium, and 23+ is Large or XL.

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2019/mountain/dirt-street/ryde-steel/ryde-24/

This NS Clash Jr. could be good, but they're not currently available.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/ns-bikes-clash-jr-24-hardtail-bike-2019/rp-prod172416
Here's one in Canada: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2636721/

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 7:19 Quote
i've heard a lot of good about the ryde

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 17:17 Quote
DMR 24 Sect my next frame hopefully.
DMR Sect 24. The perfect long lasting option.
Done.

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 2:35 Quote
Norco is literally the 24" DJ bike of pioneer of the last two decades. I have a 2005 Norco 250 24" (that I repurposed and rebuilt up for my neice, who never, ever rode it then gave it to my younger neice, who did)

Thing is still going and I used to bomb staircases with it back when I was your age.

After at least 10 26" dj/park bikes and around 4 24" park/street bikes over the years, I'd say for most people 24s would be better, it's just a hard sell BC it's hard as hell to get rims, tires, etc.

To summarize, I want to endorse 24s because they are better for almost anyone starting out on DJs whether child or adult. The problem. Is, you will struggle finding rims, tires and spokes (in bulk) and if you wreck a wheel you'll literally have to build a new custom one yourself BC almost no major company makes 24" complete wheelsets.

It works for me, and a few people on this board, but you need to know what you're signing up for.

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 9:41 Quote
Finding rims and tires is alot easier vs finding these items for 26 DJ.Have a look into BMX rims and tires,the choices are abundant and cheap too.

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 9:57 Quote
You can still find enough good quality stuff to build a nice 24” I routinely use SUN MTX series rims, lots of tire options still.
Now rolling the the new Wheelset and tires. Tires are the S M Trackmarks. They re not as good as the Tioga Powerblocks in the dirt. Good.....just not great plus they only come in 2.1 for now

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 19:17 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
DMR 24 Sect my next frame hopefully.
DMR Sect 24. The perfect long lasting option.
Done.

Holy S@#$ im 6' and want one!!

Looks so fun and flickable.. lol

Posted: Dec 21, 2019 at 6:35 Quote
Thank You guys!
I've decided to build bike on octane one spark 24" frame. DMR is not available in my location (Poland) but i've got a lot of dartmoors, octane ones and nsbikes.
Now I'm wondering which wheels choose. Octane one solar 33 24" or Alexrims DM24?

Posted: Dec 28, 2019 at 17:11 Quote
marekt wrote:
Thank You guys!
I've decided to build bike on octane one spark 24" frame. DMR is not available in my location (Poland) but i've got a lot of dartmoors, octane ones and nsbikes.
Now I'm wondering which wheels choose. Octane one solar 33 24" or Alexrims DM24?
any one of those will be unbreakable for him especially with the additional strength of 24" wheels

Posted: Jan 2, 2020 at 18:22 Quote
marekt wrote:
Hi,

How’d it go? Did you get one?

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007143
Mobile Version of Website