2.6" tyre as sticky as magic mary?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2.6" tyre as sticky as magic mary?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 11:14 Quote
The only tyres that help me old unskilled body get down crazy steep slippy terrain is 2.35 magic mary trailstar compound.

But I want more grip as I'm getting more scared as I'm getting older. I tried my son's 2.8 plus bike and the grip was amazing.

My bike will will 2.6" max... Anything out that that beats the MM in 2.6" width?

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 11:34 Quote
People say Assegai rather good..

I'm in the same boat, just trying to find the best grip.. But my max is 2.5.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 12:57 Quote
I run continental der kaiser on the front, and a conti der baron on the back, I can't skid really even if I want too.. they are lovely

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 14:35 Quote
Since you like the MM why don't you try the 2.6 version? Although PB tested it and didn't like it as much as the 2.35.

A mate has been very pleased by Good Year Newton/Newton ST in 2.6. Grippy and long lasting. The heavier versions are proper tough too.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 18:23 Quote
Ah i did think MM had a 2.6 but my Google couldn't find one for sale. Thanks I'll try looking for that

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 19:51 Quote
justwan-naride wrote:
Since you like the MM why don't you try the 2.6 version? Although PB tested it and didn't like it as much as the 2.35.

A mate has been very pleased by Good Year Newton/Newton ST in 2.6. Grippy and long lasting. The heavier versions are proper tough too.

Thanks. Instead of going Google i checked every version of mm on my fav bike store and found one 2.6 and one 2.8! I'm sure the front fork is a lot wider than the rear so the 2.8 goes there.

I live in a crazy hilly place where the tracks are all vertical and loose slippy ground with roots everywhere. I went and upgraded my bike and it came with boentrager se4 2.4 and I'm plunging straight down and missing the mm/ts on the old bike.

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 9:03 Quote
What you want is the newer MM addix soft or ultra soft.

They can be had in 2.35 and 2.6.

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 10:29 Quote
I bought addix soft in 2.8 and 2.6. Thanks

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 12:01 Quote
I love Mary soft I even run a 2.25 mm soft on my xc bike.
Because confidence.

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 12:57 Quote
I love my 2,5 wt maxxgrip dd dhf

FL
Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 13:54 Quote
Michelin Wild Enduro in 2.6, can't go wrong.

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 14:07 Quote
Assegai.... Way better

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 21:31 Quote
Glad you found what you were looking for. Let us know how the wider versions ride compared to the 2.35.

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 13:08 Quote
The Mary soft is lighter and faster rolling then any of those tire mentioned.
While still having unreal grip and longevity.

I still have to pedal my bike for those who's trails are more down then up/flat those tires make alot More sense.

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 13:09 Quote
justwan-naride wrote:
Glad you found what you were looking for. Let us know how the wider versions ride compared to the 2.35.

thanks. i am in New Zealand and ordered from the UK. it is going to take some time to arrive ... I'll post in the new year.

When riding my son's 2.8 tyres they were very very squirmy, if you try to push them hard, like riding on gummy bear lollies. I expect them to feel the same. But I'm old and scared and I don't go fast. I've given up trying to rail corners so these monster tyres are for going slow but not sliding rather than going fast and winning races.

Oh and i forgot to mention the pedalling inertia - they are not easy to pedal as the inertia on them are pretty high. i don't recommend plus tyres for people who want to go fast. just stick to 2.2-2.4 (never tried 2.5 so i don't know where the limit is)

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009711
Mobile Version of Website