2.6" tyre as sticky as magic mary?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2.6" tyre as sticky as magic mary?
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 13:10 Quote
the issue with that though, thin and light, is that they are more prone to punctures

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 13:13 Quote
traqs wrote:
the issue with that though, thin and light, is that they are more prone to punctures
Can't remember ever puncturing my front tire nor have I ever gotten a snakebites or cracked a rim.

I have many times snakebites and cracked multiple rims on the rear.

So I don't see any sense running sg/dd casing and adding 1/2lb of rotational weight.

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 13:17 Quote
traqs wrote:

good point. my first rock garden might be the last you reckon Smile
still, gotta try them and then tick the box!

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 13:18 Quote
what are you using it for? xc, dh, etc.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 3:05 Quote
traqs wrote:
what are you using it for? xc, dh, etc.

umm for chicken DH. you see the place i ride is very slippy very very narrow very steep very rooty.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 3:13 Quote
i have a verdict.

ran MM Addix soft 2.8 F/R on an undersized trek remedy 9 2017. tyres (27.5) measured 2.7" front 2.75" rear on 29mm internal diameter boentrager line comp 30 (tubeless of course). The tires are not perfectly "round" as there appears to be a slight wobble despite my rims being very true (not 100% but probably 2mm off.

1 - the grip was crazy. it just grips everything up to 45 degrees loamy rooty rubbish. but it didn't help me do all the mountain as the short sections that look like 60 degree inclines (downhill of course) that were rooty and rocky and twisty - 90 degree bends!. i still got off and walked. need to find a fast flowing one to test.

2 - today i nearly died. i think of lactic acid poisoning. pedalling uphill. i don't know why. maybe the tyres were too sticky. maybe i didn't eat enough (unlikely!). maybe i had a bad day. but the double track climb is very gentle no steep sections. but then i'm not the fittest 40 year old out there but i do commute everywhere on my bike so i'm not the worst couch potato either.

3 - the tyres have their own suspension. i ran 17psi front 18 psi rear. the tyre still felt as hard as 27-28 psi on 2.4/2.4 boentrager team se4. it's a weird feeling. both the tyre and the fork and shocks were doing their own thing. but once i got used to the feeling it was ok.i think they were in harmony, it was fun in the bits i could do. i think i can go a lot faster downhill but i'm a chicken. i can't say what it'd be like on a fast flowing track if i were more pro - willl take it to a bke park one day (none within 4 hrs of where i live). but i t felt very different - i could feel everything i'm hitting vs previously i didn't care and just pointed it where i wanted to go and let the bike do the work. i imagine it won't be a very direct experience. but i don't know. i'll report back another day. i just don't recommend it for long uphill climbs as i completely bonked.

4. i won't use another 2.8 again. at least not MM in the rear where i have to pedal uphill a lot! but i won't swap it out i'll give a go until the rubber melts away.

tl;dr
down = good
grip = highest
uphill = bad if unfit
not very direct if you want to ride fast.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 5:44 Quote
And yet people will swear that plus tires can be good for agressive riding.

You found the same thing I found a good 2.2-2.3 over those stupid monster truck tires.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 12:50 Quote
reverend27 wrote:
And yet people will swear that plus tires can be good for agressive riding.

You found the same thing I found a good 2.2-2.3 over those stupid monster truck tires.

i think it can be good if you need more grip and can't handle too much sliding like me lol. in the past i stopped riding in winter because of the nature of the trails in my area (currently summer!). but if by "aggressive" you mean ride like pro and point it and shoot then it won't be what you're after.

i'll certainly report back after riding other trails. (and in the process hopefully getting fitter, and hopefully riding in winter too).

if i manage to use up these tyres i'll try the 2.6 in the front, and maybe something else in the rear.

if that's also bad then back to 2.35-2.5 (i think i need the grip unfortunately)

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 0:58 Quote
Today was the perfect riding condition for me - dry trails!

Rode a different trail. This time medium distance rooty technical climbs and twisty technical downhills. My bike came alive. This is the first time I actually rode the whole thing without having to get off because I couldn't make a section.

With regards to the lack of directness - this was a good thing today. Normally when trying to aim for a line, if you plot where I go I am zig zagging every 3m because I over correct all the time. This time, I did not zig zag and it just went where I needed to go! It is possible that because of the extra grip I did not overcorrect that much. I'm not an aggressive rider, a chicken. But for the first time I was able to climb over all the roots without problems. For the first time I didn't have to get off and walk because I couldn't make a section.

That's never happened before. I also discovered I had too much fork pressure so I increased the sag a little and I'd say the high volume tyre is in harmony with my fork.

So for me it's very enjoyable today! I'll go back to the other trail (I only ride 2 trails regularly) that I bonked on later. That was probably a trail that needed me to be very fit to get up the double track in the first place. I don't think the tyres were that bad - as in if I were riding magic mary in 2.35 I would have had the same struggle. So I take back the climbing comments before. I'm just unfit.

For someone struggling with slippery technical sections, I'd say the 2.8s allowed be to be more confident. Sorry that won't help those who go at 100 mph ... but if you are going at 40 and you want to hit 60, I think you should try 2.8s.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011298
Mobile Version of Website