Chameleon single speed

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Chameleon single speed
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 18:42 Quote
Thinking about building a single speed to mix things up. I know nothing about setting one up, but reading the SC website, says to run 142 non boost hub on the rear if going SS to keep chainline correct. Sucks because I have a set of wheels I could use if not for this. I wonder if there is a way to achieve correct chainline with boost? Anyone have experience?

Any tips or suggestions for setting one up is appreciated.

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 20:24 Quote
Hey there was wondering how you like you chameleon do you ever race with it ?

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 12:48 Quote
Anyone with some single speed advice, set up? Seems like a lot more work, which is what I need.

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 12:53 Quote
That seems weird to me since there are plenty of boost single speed bikes out there. Do you already have the frame?

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 13:05 Quote
Nope. Doing some research now to learn more about it, what is needed, set up, etc. There will be many places I would not ride it, but figure it would be a good workout to get my strength to the next level. I tried some of my local trail today in a higher gear no shifting, and susp locked out. Was a heart pumper for sure.

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 7:22 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Nope. Doing some research now to learn more about it, what is needed, set up, etc. There will be many places I would not ride it, but figure it would be a good workout to get my strength to the next level. I tried some of my local trail today in a higher gear no shifting, and susp locked out. Was a heart pumper for sure.

Looking at it, I can't see any reason why you couldn't run a single speed setup with the geared dropouts. It looks like they can be adjusted so you could get the tension right. All you would need is a set of spacers and a sprocket. I recommend not getting some thin cheap stamped ones as those will start to cut into you freehub body. Look at Wolftooth or Surly.

The other option would be to see if your hubs are convertible to 142mm and then you could run the single speed dropouts.

Are you really dedicated to going the Santa Cruz route? I'll be honest for $749 for a frame I'd want steel.

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 7:29 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:
gmoss wrote:

Looking at it, I can't see any reason why you couldn't run a single speed setup with the geared dropouts. It looks like they can be adjusted so you could get the tension right. All you would need is a set of spacers and a sprocket. I recommend not getting some thin cheap stamped ones as those will start to cut into you freehub body. Look at Wolftooth or Surly.

The other option would be to see if your hubs are convertible to 142mm and then you could run the single speed dropouts.

Are you really dedicated to going the Santa Cruz route? I'll be honest for $749 for a frame I'd want steel.

Helpful. Thanks. I was actually considering the carbon frame. Hubs are I9 Torch, boost. I don't think they are convertible. I need to talk to them.

Is there a specific chain used for single speed? If not, what type chain do you run, 8, 9, 12?

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 8:36 Quote
gmoss wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
gmoss wrote:

Helpful. Thanks. I was actually considering the carbon frame. Hubs are I9 Torch, boost. I don't think they are convertible. I need to talk to them.

Is there a specific chain used for single speed? If not, what type chain do you run, 8, 9, 12?

I have an 11 speed on my single speed bike cause I had it laying around. If I didn't, I'd probably run a 9 speed cause they are cheap and strong. I think it would slightly depend on what chain ring you are using.

Posted: Dec 21, 2019 at 8:10 Quote
gmoss wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
gmoss wrote:

I’m running 9 speed chain on my SS.

Sorry not running a Chameleon though. But I will say, I first thought I’d only ride the SS for fitness. It’s so much fun, I had to consciously park it to ensure my Bronson received some use this summer.

Posted: Dec 21, 2019 at 8:25 Quote
LOL. I can see it being really tough at first till my legs get used to it. I know it will be easier than mimicing it on my HTLT, but still.

I think I have found how to use my wheels, by using a spacer conversion kit like from surly, and the cog kit from Problem Solvers, or even possibly a ring from Wolf Tooth.

I question I will have is will I have chain tension capability with the boost dropout on the bike. Hmmm

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004791
Mobile Version of Website