New gear advice: mid travel trail bike, prioritizing frame quality

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
New gear advice: mid travel trail bike, prioritizing frame quality
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 18:17 Quote
Hey all,

Was looking for some advice. I have a budget of -$4-$5k CAD and am fully aware with that money I cannot get a “dream bike”, but I was hoping to get some advice.

Long term, id like to keep whatever frame I get; ideally carbon. The part spec is less important to me at this point as upgrading the drivetrain, wheels, etc is something I’ll want to do over the course of a few years.

That said, my outgoing bike is a cheap 2011 trek wahoo w 26” wheels so none of the parts can transfer over. As such, I do need a full bike.

I’m looking for a 29er, mid travel trail bike - so between 125 - 150mm of travel that is pedal friendly as there isn’t much downhill here (though I plan on travelling to some hills this summer).

So that said, if you could buy a complete bike and prioritize the frame quality above all else, what would you look for?

Thanks!

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 5:40 Quote
Bananaman999 wrote:
Hey all,

Was looking for some advice. I have a budget of -$4-$5k CAD and am fully aware with that money I cannot get a “dream bike”, but I was hoping to get some advice.

Long term, id like to keep whatever frame I get; ideally carbon. The part spec is less important to me at this point as upgrading the drivetrain, wheels, etc is something I’ll want to do over the course of a few years.

That said, my outgoing bike is a cheap 2011 trek wahoo w 26” wheels so none of the parts can transfer over. As such, I do need a full bike.

I’m looking for a 29er, mid travel trail bike - so between 125 - 150mm of travel that is pedal friendly as there isn’t much downhill here (though I plan on travelling to some hills this summer).

So that said, if you could buy a complete bike and prioritize the frame quality above all else, what would you look for?

Thanks!
Would say that pretty much any well known carbon frame manufacturer (think Trek, Giant, SantaCruz, YT etc.) will have very good quality frame. For that budget you can get pretty much ideal bike if you go with ALU frame and more price/performance oriented brands, look at i.e. Commencal, YT, Giant). The cheapest way to "upgrade" is to get bike with wanted euipment already on start, aftermarket upgrades are always more expensive.

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 6:53 Quote
I'm not sure that carbon frames are "buy it for life." It depends on you, your riding style, your terrain, and the quality of the initial frame I suppose, but that's still my position on carbon frames. (Full disclosure: I was skeptical of carbon frames being strong enough for many years, got a high-end carbon bike last year, and broke the frame within 5 months.) Lots of other people have had different experiences with carbon than I have.

I prefer a reasonable(but good) frame with REALLY good parts. If you're looking for a place to put money that's really worth it, get very good wheels.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004659
Mobile Version of Website