Climb switches, adjustable fork travel, shapeshifter tech.. what's next to help with climbing?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Climb switches, adjustable fork travel, shapeshifter tech.. what's next to help with climbing?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 1:58 Quote
I'm a decent climber but could always use a 'leg up' on the climbs, especially steep and/or long climbs. I don't typically use my climb switch unless I'm on pavement or hardpack because I find suspension helps with traction especially technical ascents. I used to have a Lyrik Dual Position fork (adjustable between 140mm and 170mm) which helped to some degree but nothing significant.

With bikes getting longer and head angles slacker, what do you think the bike industry will come up with next to make climbs easier? (apart from better fitness/cardio and no, I don't mean ebikes).

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 2:17 Quote
what happened to leg strength and standing up?

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 8:59 Quote
chrysanthos wrote:

Check. But prefer to sit on long 8+ km climbs.

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 9:11 Quote
yale986 wrote:
chrysanthos wrote:

Seat tube angle does it all. A heavier bike with steep STA is better for long climbs than a lighter bike with slack STA.
With steep angle I mean those witch actual steep angles, not the effective angle bullshit.

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 10:45 Quote
emponix wrote:
yale986 wrote:
chrysanthos wrote:

Seat tube angle does it all. A heavier bike with steep STA is better for long climbs than a lighter bike with slack STA.
With steep angle I mean those witch actual steep angles, not the effective angle bullshit.

If you're not a tall person, a steep effective STA is fine. It's the long legged folks who get screwed over by that.

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 10:58 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
emponix wrote:
yale986 wrote:

If you're not a tall person, a steep effective STA is fine. It's the long legged folks who get screwed over by that.

Forgot to mention that, got angry just by thinking about the whole thing.

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 12:19 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
emponix wrote:
yale986 wrote:

Would it benefit a taller person to move the saddle forward so he/she's not so far over the rear wheel on climbs?

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 13:09 Quote
yeah, i would say so, something that may come around is a device that changes the angle of the seat, have it super nose up for descending, and then really nose down for climbing. It would be sick. The seat changer 5000. Trademarked

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 16:01 Quote
traqs wrote:
yeah, i would say so, something that may come around is a device that changes the angle of the seat, have it super nose up for descending, and then really nose down for climbing. It would be sick. The seat changer 5000. Trademarked

Yup! I’d buy that in a heartbeat! If you had this seat changer 5000, what kind of angles would you use for up vs down?

Don’t know about anyone else but I keep my saddle in a compromised angle/position - biased towards the downhill so slightly nose up. Not as extreme an angle as on my DH bike though. For long climbs I’ll nose the saddle down but otherwise I’ll keep it as above and just put up with it for shorter climbs.

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 18:52 Quote
honestly, i have never thought about angles, just up or down, but on my big bike, my seat is slightly up, and on my DJ, my seat is way up

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 18:53 Quote
as in nose up, that is. the seat changer 5000

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 20:11 Quote
traqs wrote:
honestly, i have never thought about angles, just up or down, but on my big bike, my seat is slightly up, and on my DJ, my seat is way up

makes sense! Thanks for sharing.

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 11:44 Quote
Specialized has already got a dropper that does that but it doesn't seem to have taken off much. It's their command post WU, seems interesting but maxes out at 150mm of travel.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/command-post-wu/p/155807?color=229002-155807&searchText=28117-3145

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 13:14 Quote
interesting, surprised that that is actually a thing.. thought i was on to something. dang it

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005177
Mobile Version of Website