Winter commuting

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Winter commuting
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 14:26 Quote
I'm sad I don't ride a bike to work in the winter and am looking for ways to solve this problem. Is a fat bike the answer? Or studded tires on my commuter?

I live in the BC interior. We get snow, but the roads are more often gravel than snow in the winter months. I've had a couple of bad falls in the past year and have some big mental blocks when it comes to riding so I need something to give me confidence. I don't know if getting studded tires for my commuter will do that for me. My commute is 10km long, no massive hills. Taking a fat bike to the local mountain trails sounds fun, although I have no one to ride with. I'm currently eyeing up the Rocky Mountain Blizzard 20. Please give me your thoughts and suggestions!

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 17:26 Quote
yeah, fat bike should work in the snow, get yourself some of those heated grips that were featured a few days ago too!

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 6:55 Quote
traqs wrote:
yeah, fat bike should work in the snow, get yourself some of those heated grips that were featured a few days ago too!

Thanks for the tip! Smile

How are fat bikes on ice? I forgot to mention we get a bit of that too.

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 7:09 Quote
Lish wrote:
traqs wrote:

Fat bike will do great on ice. I commute year round by switching to a fat bike with 29+ tires (3.0) on it during the winter. Never have any issues with the bike, keeping the toes warm is bigger issue (temps under zero Celsius). Really good wool socks and shoe covers work good as long as the ride is under an hour.

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 8:19 Quote
Lish wrote:
traqs wrote:

A fatbike is just as good as any other bike on ice. One second you're upright, the next your flat on the ground. You'll need to do something different than just fat tires to help stay upright, studs, etc.

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 at 6:01 Quote
I commute daily.

IME, most fat tire treads are adequate for anything but glare ice.

Mostly it takes a while to build up your confidence riding in winter road conditions (cornering, riding over berms, etc.)

Good fenders are a worthy investment. I've had good luck with SKS products.

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 10:13 Quote
I commute to work fairly regularly. most of it is on hardpacked mushing/ski/snow-go trails. I've got a fatback rhino flt fitted with 26" rims and studded wrathchilds (ahem, wrathchildren?). they've got a kung-fu grip on snow and ice. bar mitts are also helpful to have. I also ride some singletrack in the winter and again, those tires eat it up.

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 10:34 Quote
During winter I use my 29er XC bike for my paper route and it's probs the worst option I could use. I crash every time I touch the ice, even while going dead straight. I recommend a fat bike so you don't turn up to work wet, cold and in immense pain from the 18 crashes you had.

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 12:27 Quote
A fat bike with studded tires is the only way to go if you expect to encounter any ice. Traditional tired mtn bikes are horrible in the snow and ice and it only takes a small patch. I have tried riding my 29er on some minor snow/ice patched trail and I always wished I had my fat bike with studs even though the trail I ride on is mostly paved/dirt. The studs make some noise, but I'll take that over kissing the pavement. I'll use the 29re when it is warm and dry...maybe. I just love the feel of the fatty (Farley 7, 2020 model). I'm thinking of ditching the studded gnarwhals when the snow disappears and getting some 3.8 maxxis. I live in Utah (slc).

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.004710
Mobile Version of Website