SRAM SX Eagle: Any Good?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
SRAM SX Eagle: Any Good?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 23:57 Quote
I"ve ridden plenty of bikes with GX Eagle, but none with SX Eagle which seems to be the group of choice $1500 and above. Does anyone have experience using this group? Should I expect to make immediate upgrades if I choose a bike with this group or is it a solid component group?

Posted: Dec 21, 2019 at 10:43 Quote
The rear derailleur body is plastic instead of aluminum and seems to have a bit more play than the higher end models. Some SX cranks use isis BB interface rather than the lighter/stronger/simpler modern 2-piece design Dub or GPX.

Posted: Dec 22, 2019 at 14:26 Quote
timparker wrote:
The rear derailleur body is plastic instead of aluminum and seems to have a bit more play than the higher end models. Some SX cranks use isis BB interface rather than the lighter/stronger/simpler modern 2-piece design Dub or GPX.

Do you actually own this group? Why do "some" SX cranks use isis rather than dub or gpx?

Are there any owners of this component group who can offer a review?

Posted: Dec 22, 2019 at 15:44 Quote
I bought a new take off SX group for a spare bike. It came with SRAM SX Eagle cranks with ISIS drive and matching ISIS BB. It’s the budget price point Eagle kit. Came with same HG style 11-50 cassette as NX.

I only gave it a quick test ride before selling. Seemed to work fine

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 at 12:48 Quote
Interested in other owner's thoughts as well. This group is being spec-ed on every $2K to $3K released this year, someone must have long term experience riding it.

Posted: Dec 26, 2019 at 15:22 Quote
Appears SX falls out of the “Deore or better” protocol... IMHO plastic body derailleurs should only make it on bottom spec entry level bikes, never intermediate/medium spec bikes, especially in the 2-3k range.

Posted: Dec 27, 2019 at 5:31 Quote
topbike21 wrote:
timparker wrote:

Do you actually own this group? Why do "some" SX cranks use isis rather than dub or gpx?

Are there any owners of this component group who can offer a review?

SRAM SX was made to lower pricing of 1x12 speed as low as possible. If you want 1x12 as cheap as possible, that's the way to go. If not, buy higher groups (better materials, lighter...). It's suppose to work as good as higher groups.

SX on any 1800$+ bike is IMO just a vendor trying to maximize profit where he can, it's like putting cheap chinese tyres on BMW 3. I would not want them if buying new car Big Grin

Posted: Dec 27, 2019 at 14:18 Quote
Again, I'm waiting for reviews from owners.

Posted: Dec 27, 2019 at 15:36 Quote
My whyte G170s came with Sram SX. Was fine for the first 4 months until the rear mech seized, got it replaced under warranty with an NX mech and no problems since.

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 13:29 Quote
Get new Shimano Deore 12 speed

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 20:24 Quote
Sram SX on $4000.00 Rocky, 1 week old. Rear derailleur broke on second climb. Snapped clean off at the plastic mount while shifting. Very disappointing.

O+
Posted: May 22, 2020 at 7:28 Quote
topbike21 wrote:
Again, I'm waiting for reviews from owners.

Budget drivetrain. Look up reviews for NX which is largely considered disposable after 3-4 months of riding and then realize SX is a knock down from NX. If you are a very casual rider it’s probably fine, if you are going to throw down on shuttles and daily rides, be prepared for some work ahead of you.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 18:02 Quote
SX came on my bike and seems to shift fine but a couple days into riding the shifter lever sometimes wouldn’t return

Posted: May 24, 2020 at 22:28 Quote
Just got an NS Eccentric Lite 1 with the SX 12 spd groupset and couldn't be happier or more surprised out of the box. I was ready to make any necc. changes, but so far feel no need. My thought has always been ride it 'til it breaks, and then upgrade. Shifting under load, and multiple shifting have been super precise and I've not yet had one ghost shift. I will probably get the lighter cassette as there is some decent weight savings there, but until I break something (which I will) I am pretty damn happy with the performance.

Having been a Shimano XT, XTR guy for most of my riding years, I have had Sram 1x11, 1x12, on my last three bikes. I won't go back.

For the price of this entire set-up, I don't think it can be beat.

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 14:55 Quote
SX stuff is missing the "U" in the middle. If you are going SRAM, use GX and up. NX is ok for derailleurs but I would opt for GX or better. My Farley came with NX derailleur but an SX shifter? The shifter broke after 3 months of use. Replaced with a GX shifter and it is much better. I'm looking for an upgrade to X01 this summer as my NX derailleur is starting to show its age after 8 months.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.064415
Mobile Version of Website