SRAM SX Eagle: Any Good?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
SRAM SX Eagle: Any Good?
Posted: Dec 23, 2020 at 6:14 Quote
from what I understand, the newer ones have the flanged lower pully which seems to work better

Posted: Dec 26, 2020 at 20:26 Quote
I put around 500 miles on a Specialized Fuse with an SX group on it.

IMO it preformed flawlessly. Shifted good, was smooth, shifted good under power, ect. I never had a single problem. Didn't even adjust the cable a single time from new.

I never broke the rear derailleur either (our local trails are pretty tame). Some guys on the internet make it seem like the SX derailer breaks taking the bike out of the truck.

It's an entry level 12 speed group set. It isn't as nice as GX or X01 but it also isn't the massive pile of shit that guys make it out to be.

O+
Posted: Dec 27, 2020 at 5:54 Quote
I owned the SX group, it came with my bike and in terms of shifting performance, it shifts just as well as the GX that replaced it.

The GX shifter has a more definite click to it but does not perform any better than the SX.

The reason I replaced my SX for the GX was because I had purchased a set of wheels with the XD free hub, and could not move the cassette over. My only complain with the SX group would be the weight of the cassette, mine weighed 710 grams, a full 250 grams more than the GX cassette. That being said, and having used both, I would have been happy to have stayed on my SX set until it wore out, if not for the incompatibility of the free hubs.

Posted: May 16, 2021 at 10:33 Quote
SX owner here on a Norco Range VLT. We put down big power with under load shifts. 500km in so far, and it seems adequate for an intermediate user. No major gripes. Shifts well, and very crisp 95% of the time.

What brought me here was looking for info on the clutch system. It seems weak, and we get a fair bit of what sounds like derailleur based rattle on long harsh descents. Not be to be confused with chainslap, it is almost a plastic clunking - making me think weak clutch.

Our non ebikes have GX and there is no noise, its a silent drivetrain. If or when this derailleur fails, we'll bolt on a GX.

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 12:37 Quote
Another SX died recently for me. No hard hits or anything. It just decided to not shift anymore. I upgraded to gx but have not ridden recentley

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 14:55 Quote
tankthegladiator wrote:
SX owner here on a Norco Range VLT. We put down big power with under load shifts. 500km in so far, and it seems adequate for an intermediate user. No major gripes. Shifts well, and very crisp 95% of the time.

What brought me here was looking for info on the clutch system. It seems weak, and we get a fair bit of what sounds like derailleur based rattle on long harsh descents. Not be to be confused with chainslap, it is almost a plastic clunking - making me think weak clutch.

Our non ebikes have GX and there is no noise, its a silent drivetrain. If or when this derailleur fails, we'll bolt on a GX.

Now that is strange, because I replaced the SX derailleur and shifter on my Jeffsy with GX as soon as it arrived. However, I have also had this strange rattle noise that I initially thought was chainslap as it sounds slightly more metallic. But it's not the chain for sure. I can't fathom the sound or what it is, but it definitely feels like it's coming from the derailleur. It only occurs when the bike is shaking eg on descents or rough terrain. But this is GX!

O+
Posted: May 17, 2021 at 18:28 Quote
SkateFaster wrote:
tankthegladiator wrote:

Now that is strange, because I replaced the SX derailleur and shifter on my Jeffsy with GX as soon as it arrived. However, I have also had this strange rattle noise that I initially thought was chainslap as it sounds slightly more metallic. But it's not the chain for sure. I can't fathom the sound or what it is, but it definitely feels like it's coming from the derailleur. It only occurs when the bike is shaking eg on descents or rough terrain. But this is GX!

Internal cable routing rattling?

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 5:50 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
SkateFaster wrote:
tankthegladiator wrote:

Internal cable routing rattling?

To be honest, from the limited riding I've had this year it's just more convenient to believe it's that. My previous bikes didn't have internal cable routing so I've never been exposed to it. Can't replicate it off the bike so am just assuming it is.

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 0:28 Quote
see this thread: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=217472&pagenum=2#commentid6865884

SX Rear Derailleur is junk. Left me stranded - had to run with bike 1-1.5km with swarms of mosquitos after me!!

3rd ride on new bike - it snapped right off like it was made of cheese while shifting to lower gear. I ran GX drivetrain all last year same trails and never had a single problem, now this bike, the shifting was terrible - missing shifts, chain skipping, chain going in between wheel and cassette, and now this. Limit screw was set per factory instructions, on flat ground i could not get it to go past the biggest cog so i thought - all good. nope.

On close inspection - the dropout didnt break, the deraileur body did - its made of plastic for crissake. Unbelievable.

Upgraded to SLX RD & shifter. butter smooth now and reliable.

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 11:14 Quote
The SX derailleur is on a comparable level to the plastic pedals that come with a new bike....use it to give it a quick test, then take off and replace with something better.
It shouldn't be like that but that's certainly how it's become.....

Posted: Jun 17, 2021 at 18:59 Quote
15mins into my first ride on my new Santa Cruz tall boy I grazed a tree stump and sheered off the SX derailleur. This derailleur is not suitable for my 8 year old daughters Barbie doll bike.

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 2:53 Quote
Another cracked SX derailleur here, clean across the top of the mounting pivot after about 10 rides. It is still in place and working but guess I should swap out now to avoid breaking far from home.

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 10:16 Quote
blackhillsunsets wrote:
Another cracked SX derailleur here, clean across the top of the mounting pivot after about 10 rides. It is still in place and working but guess I should swap out now to avoid breaking far from home.

Cheap enough and reliable upgrade is a GX derailleur and shifter. That's all you need, less than £100 if you shop around and easy install. You won't regret it.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 13:42 Quote
SkateFaster wrote:
blackhillsunsets wrote:

Cheap enough and reliable upgrade is a GX derailleur and shifter. That's all you need, less than £100 if you shop around and easy install. You won't regret it.

Thanks, good plan, but short supply right now so maybe trying an SLX instead.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 23:51 Quote
I ran 12 speed GX cassette, chain and mech in 2019. It was alright but no match to Shimano XT. Shifting is crisper smoother and you can change gear underload with no crunching.

So many warranty replacements seen on the SX stuff

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.025213
Mobile Version of Website