2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 22, 2019 at 3:42 Quote
Just wanted to post some quick thoughts on the new S-Works Enduro I just built up. I was super excited for this build and didn't really spare anything on it for performance. I have the 2020 Fox Float 170 44mm offset fork, and Industry Nine wheels with Cushcore installed. Hope breaks and Deity cockpit, with SRAM drivetrain coming in at about 33lbs.

I did a ton of research on suspension setup and have been playing around with the bike a lot on my local trails here in southern MD. Not a very aggressive trail just a loop around a lake with some roots and short punchy climbs and downhills. I"m not a pro level rider, but I have a lot of years of riding DH and Freeride terrain. I've gotten far from the suggested settings and currently still hunting for a sweet spot where it feels like it's eating everything like a 170mm bike should. Every review I've read about this bike says that it climbs okay but really shines in the rough stuff, like a mini downhill bike, but I can assure you with the current suspension settings I've tried it won't hold a candle to my YT Tues in rough terrain.

The bike is large and it feels that way. It is very hard for me to manual which equates to less hoping over things on the trail while riding. The rear feels the same to me on rough downhill sections as the previous Enduro "X" wing design. I'm not getting the aww inspiring rear wheel moving rearward getting out of the way and not hanging up feeling that everyone is claiming to be the super benefit of this bike.

The bike seems to actually slow down coming down some of my super fun sections that have some moderate rough hits but not a ton of gravity. It does seem to do well on the super rough sections with many consecutive hits, but still doesn't "feel" faster than my stumpy through those same places.

More to follow when I get a big mountain trip in and some proper rock sections with jumps, but currently I would not recommend to anyone trading in any older Enduro or Stumpjumper for this bike. I think it's an equivalent bike, but it does not seem like an upgrade over those models to me.

Posted: Dec 28, 2019 at 13:08 Quote
calvinstoney wrote:
Just wanted to post some quick thoughts on the new S-Works Enduro I just built up. I was super excited for this build and didn't really spare anything on it for performance. I have the 2020 Fox Float 170 44mm offset fork, and Industry Nine wheels with Cushcore installed. Hope breaks and Deity cockpit, with SRAM drivetrain coming in at about 33lbs.

I did a ton of research on suspension setup and have been playing around with the bike a lot on my local trails here in southern MD. Not a very aggressive trail just a loop around a lake with some roots and short punchy climbs and downhills. I"m not a pro level rider, but I have a lot of years of riding DH and Freeride terrain. I've gotten far from the suggested settings and currently still hunting for a sweet spot where it feels like it's eating everything like a 170mm bike should. Every review I've read about this bike says that it climbs okay but really shines in the rough stuff, like a mini downhill bike, but I can assure you with the current suspension settings I've tried it won't hold a candle to my YT Tues in rough terrain.

The bike is large and it feels that way. It is very hard for me to manual which equates to less hoping over things on the trail while riding. The rear feels the same to me on rough downhill sections as the previous Enduro "X" wing design. I'm not getting the aww inspiring rear wheel moving rearward getting out of the way and not hanging up feeling that everyone is claiming to be the super benefit of this bike.

The bike seems to actually slow down coming down some of my super fun sections that have some moderate rough hits but not a ton of gravity. It does seem to do well on the super rough sections with many consecutive hits, but still doesn't "feel" faster than my stumpy through those same places.

More to follow when I get a big mountain trip in and some proper rock sections with jumps, but currently I would not recommend to anyone trading in any older Enduro or Stumpjumper for this bike. I think it's an equivalent bike, but it does not seem like an upgrade over those models to me.

this bike has received a lot of buzz lately, I guess its best to always demo first before pulling the trigger. I'm waiting for the new wreckoning, they aren't too concerned with developing a race bike, but make amazing poppy, bottomless, park bikes. At least thats what I hope they do.

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 16:24 Quote
Follow up after many hours of suspension tweaking. So; I have adjusted things from one end of the spectrum to the other and have found some interesting things with the 2020 Enduro. With the progressive suspension design and the axle path that is in play now it seems to be sensitive to sag. I have increased the rear pressure slight beyond the recommended numbers from the previous set up I was running which was slightly below the recommended pressure as I normally like my bikes a little soft. Once you get into the early stages of the stroke a little more, I can now start to feel the slight reward axle path making some difference on the small chatter. I would have thought that the progressive design would lend itself to little softer setup as it does on the fork, and I was wrong. With a soft setup you get yourself beyond the functionality of the axle path design.
For setup on the Enduro I would recommend going 15 psi beyond the recommended pressures and then reducing 5 pounds at a time until you feel like the bike is getting a little harsh on the rough stuff and then increasing back up 5 pounds and running that position.
The dampening seems to be the same story. You want to ensure you don't easily blow through that initial 1/2 of the travel to quickly in the small bump and moderate rough sections. Once you pass through the travel you will loose the benefits of the design.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 6:11 Quote
calvinstoney wrote:
Follow up after many hours of suspension tweaking. So; I have adjusted things from one end of the spectrum to the other and have found some interesting things with the 2020 Enduro. With the progressive suspension design and the axle path that is in play now it seems to be sensitive to sag. I have increased the rear pressure slight beyond the recommended numbers from the previous set up I was running which was slightly below the recommended pressure as I normally like my bikes a little soft. Once you get into the early stages of the stroke a little more, I can now start to feel the slight reward axle path making some difference on the small chatter. I would have thought that the progressive design would lend itself to little softer setup as it does on the fork, and I was wrong. With a soft setup you get yourself beyond the functionality of the axle path design.
For setup on the Enduro I would recommend going 15 psi beyond the recommended pressures and then reducing 5 pounds at a time until you feel like the bike is getting a little harsh on the rough stuff and then increasing back up 5 pounds and running that position.
The dampening seems to be the same story. You want to ensure you don't easily blow through that initial 1/2 of the travel to quickly in the small bump and moderate rough sections. Once you pass through the travel you will loose the benefits of the design.

what is the recommended sag in %? I have a 2020 enduro ordered but will throw a coil on right away so the specialized calculator won't work. I can't seem to find it in percentage and after what you said I want to make sure I have the recommended sag and not just what I usually ride. thanks in advance.

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 18:10 Quote
Interesting feedback, thanks for posting. I'm in the middle of a crisis with the new enduro; should I buy another evo s3 in 27.5, because I like to play, or a new enduro (s3 or s4) because I want a decent pedaling platform. I like to hunt for the rowdiest trails and if there's opportunity to soar, I'm all in. Whitehorse can be pretty pedally, too, and on the evo I find keeping up on the gravel roads difficult.
Don't know if anyone has experience aboard both bikes, but my only complaints on the evo are difficulty getting the rear as firm as I like and how awfully it pedals!
appreciate any thoughts

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004853
Mobile Version of Website