2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 3:38 Quote
motorstone wrote:
Owning a 2020 S4 can you point on a frame pic exactly where it commonly cracks please? So I can go check mine Smile
JasenK wrote:
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
195cm 80kg s5 sworks

No stress cracks or headset fractures and my frame was from the first batch with the carbon mid link, which has also held up. It hasn't been ridden gently and has 2+ seasons on it with plenty of lift and shuttle days

Until recently I worked at a Spesh dealer since before the bike's debut and never had any cracked 2020+ Enduros come in. To be fair that shop didn't sell a ton of Enduros compared to other models

Cracking seems common enough to be a consideration if you are getting a new bike today, especially with all the other great options. But most Enduro owners aren't on the forums and haven't had issues

As written before, it seemed like most of the seat tube cracks on MY2020 were on S4. I've sold mine now, was the best bike I've ever owned, miss it and now sort of regret selling!!

S4 cracking around the front of the seat tube / top tube intersection where its probably being stressed by the seat post bending moment applied to the sticky out bit of the seat tube is my guess......the insert is a little too short I think. .

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 5:24 Quote
Does anyone have any idea how many of these bikes have been sold in total? It's easy to hear of failures but if they've sold twenty thousand it's maybe not as bad as it seems.

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 14:12 Quote
Hello,

Is anyone able to confirm the rear brake post-mount sizing? Is it 160 mm or 180 mm? I measured, and I'm second guessing myself big time.

My purpose for asking is that I'd like to run the Magura MDR-P 203 mm rotor to go with my Magura MT7 caliper in place of the stock SRAM 200 mm rotor. Sure, I could shim it with washers etc, but my picky self thinks that's too bush-league for a bike and brake this nice. I'd rather buy the proper adapter.

I've been meaning to do an update on my experience so far. Will do soon when I get some time. Until there, here's a cool vid from late October 2021. It was a 1400 m hike-a-bike in the David Thompson Highway corridor between Nordegg and Saskatchewan Crossing (intersection of Hwy 93 and 11) in the Alberta Rockies.The guy in front of me was aboard an XL Sentinel. You can see him bippity-bopping around, whereas the Enduro wanted to just go straight down. Send me a DM if you'd like more info.

short version: https://www.pinkbike.com/video/543548/
long version: https://www.pinkbike.com/video/543547/
The short version is better.

Thank you,
Kurt

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 14:18 Quote
It's 180 post as stock

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 14:19 Quote
I must have asked too soon. Another source confirmed to me that it is in fact a 180 mm post-mount. He has the 2020 Comp, which came with a 180 mm rotor and no adapter at all, therefor the posts must be for 180 mm.

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 23:35 Quote
Anyone know the stand over height to the enduro size large?

Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 0:07 Quote
kurt2 wrote:

My purpose for asking is that I'd like to run the Magura MDR-P 203 mm rotor to go with my Magura MT7 caliper in place of the stock SRAM 200 mm rotor. Sure, I could shim it with washers etc, but my picky self thinks that's too bush-league for a bike and brake this nice. I'd rather buy the proper adapter.

I'm running the MDR-P's in 220 front and rear with no issue and would highly recommend it. Magura QM45 adaptor front and rear got me from 180 to 220 fine.

Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 7:59 Quote
Thanks! Will use stock Sram adapter in front. Ordered the +23 one from North Shore Billet for rear.

exmouthlocal wrote:
kurt2 wrote:

I'm running the MDR-P's in 220 front and rear with no issue and would highly recommend it. Magura QM45 adaptor front and rear got me from 180 to 220 fine.

Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 17:09 Quote
Expert, the candy apple carbon one.

I'm on my 3rd rear hub, but everything else has been awesome.

Blownoutrides wrote:
cjarrett wrote:
For what it's worth: 220lb rider on an S5 delivered in September of 2019, I think the first S5 in Canada. No cracks all fun.

Not the best rider but I've done plenty of drops and jumps, and a few Whistler days on the bike.

Sworks or non sworks?

Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 17:54 Quote
rugbyred wrote:
Does anyone know of the mudguard from the ever soon of the Enduro would fit the enduro? It’s longer and looks like it would do a better job of protecting the shock from mud.

To answer my own question, apparently the ebike rear mudguard does not fit the Enduro.

Better news, the 9.8 SlackR headset is out and available for the Enduro.

My plan is the get the -1.6 deg and put the bike in the high position and see if it helps with pedal strikes.

Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 18:14 Quote
rugbyred wrote:
rugbyred wrote:
Does anyone know of the mudguard from the ever soon of the Enduro would fit the enduro? It’s longer and looks like it would do a better job of protecting the shock from mud.

To answer my own question, apparently the ebike rear mudguard does not fit the Enduro.

My plan is the get the -1.6 deg and put the bike in the high position and see if it helps with pedal strikes.

First ride this afternoon with the -1.7 Slack-R in low with a 180 Lyrik was good. I’m on a S5 but I didn’t notice any loss in pop or playfulness, didn’t need to speed up fork rebound but I did add two clicks of low speed compression at first, but it’s back to my usual setting now. 170 cranks riding in New England with lots of rocks and roots and it was noticeably faster coming out of the harsh transition of a steep rock roll.

Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 7:16 Quote
I'm about 230 pounds, on a S4 Comp, no issues so far. I recently swapped out the stock FSA headset for a Chris King, headtube/cups looked to be ok with no cracks. Rear triangle has a Cascade link, no cracks there or at the seatpost tube. I'm riding EX511s, Schwalbe MM/HD combo. I'm also not doing anything beyond basic Northeast USA trail stuff.

Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 8:18 Quote
Sounds interesting, and super fun

DHhack wrote:
rugbyred wrote:
rugbyred wrote:

First ride this afternoon with the -1.7 Slack-R in low with a 180 Lyrik was good. I’m on a S5 but I didn’t notice any loss in pop or playfulness, didn’t need to speed up fork rebound but I did add two clicks of low speed compression at first, but it’s back to my usual setting now. 170 cranks riding in New England with lots of rocks and roots and it was noticeably faster coming out of the harsh transition of a steep rock roll.

Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 18:43 Quote
First ride this afternoon with the -1.7 Slack-R in low with a 180 Lyrik was good. I’m on a S5 but I didn’t notice any loss in pop or playfulness, didn’t need to speed up fork rebound but I did add two clicks of low speed compression at first, but it’s back to my usual setting now. 170 cranks riding in New England with lots of rocks and roots and it was noticeably faster coming out of the harsh transition of a steep rock roll.[/Quote]

Good to hear. You ordered the IS42S model? I’m just making sure my understanding of it all is correct? I would only be able to get a -1.6 as I’m on a S4 with a shorter head tube. Was it an easy install? It looks like it would be easier than the Works angle sets that would twist as they were pushed in.

Thanks,
Eric

Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 23:16 Quote
rugbyred wrote:
Good to hear. You ordered the IS42S model? I’m just making sure my understanding of it all is correct? I would only be able to get a -1.6 as I’m on a S4 with a shorter head tube. Was it an easy install? It looks like it would be easier than the Works angle sets that would twist as they were pushed in.

Thanks,
Eric

Yes it was the IS42S. Install was fairly straightforward, you need grease, blue loctite, carbon grip paste and a torque wrench that goes to 30Nm if I remember right.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007052
Mobile Version of Website