2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2022 at 12:11 Quote
j6y wrote:
txcx166 wrote:
Just picked up a 21 enduro. It didn’t come with the bag or wraps for the in frame storage. Do I need the large pod, tube wrap and pump wrap? Is that what comes with these? Or should I just cram all my stuff in there in a way that isn’t going to rattle around. Seems like the bag and wraps would be nice.

I assume buying the pod doesn’t get you the wraps. Hard to figure out online.

Get a neoprene, tube shaped pencil case online, it will hold more and nothing will rattle in it - the Spec one isn't worth the material its made of.

I run two in my swat Beer

Good call! Thanks

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2022 at 13:04 Quote
txcx166 wrote:
j6y wrote:
txcx166 wrote:
Just picked up a 21 enduro. It didn’t come with the bag or wraps for the in frame storage. Do I need the large pod, tube wrap and pump wrap? Is that what comes with these? Or should I just cram all my stuff in there in a way that isn’t going to rattle around. Seems like the bag and wraps would be nice.

I assume buying the pod doesn’t get you the wraps. Hard to figure out online.

Get a neoprene, tube shaped pencil case online, it will hold more and nothing will rattle in it - the Spec one isn't worth the material its made of.

Good call! Thanks

You're welcome bud

8.5"L x 2"W x 2"H

are the dimensions I went with, as I said I run two for different types of riding

Posted: Apr 26, 2022 at 13:22 Quote
j6y wrote:
txcx166 wrote:
j6y wrote:

Good call! Thanks

8.5"L x 2"W x 2"H

are the dimensions I went with, as I said I run two for different types of riding

Almost bought a Specialized pod! Where did you find the case you use? Been searching around on amazon with different terms and they all seem large.

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2022 at 10:33 Quote
Wetworks73 wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
i only weigh 185 w/ gear so i cant really say, but im using the megneg at like 260psi with no bands and its great.

Wow, that's about what I'm running now for PSI without the Meg. Guessing I'd be approaching 300 with?

I weigh 200 with gear- I run the meg neg with 2 bands, I run about 250 psi, and that gets me to 30% sag. Feels excellent. I think if you had a couple bands in you could keep PSI under 300.

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2022 at 10:37 Quote
Daray wrote:
Wetworks73 wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
i only weigh 185 w/ gear so i cant really say, but im using the megneg at like 260psi with no bands and its great.

Wow, that's about what I'm running now for PSI without the Meg. Guessing I'd be approaching 300 with?

I weigh 200 with gear- I run the meg neg with 2 bands, I run about 250 psi, and that gets me to 30% sag. Feels excellent. I think if you had a couple bands in you could keep PSI under 300.

yeah i think with a few bands and one of the bigger tokens in the positive chamber you would be ok at 290 or so. be prepared to have to service more often though.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2022 at 9:24 Quote
Drop Out Horst Link Pivot Bearings removal problem: Having an impossible time removing bearing J from either side of the Drop Out/Host Link location. There are two bearings with an internal spacer. Using the Park Tool SBK-1 removal tool any other bearing I’ve tried came out pretty easily. Not these ones. I’ve applied enough pressure to create an indentation on the frame at one point so I don’t want to keep forcing the issue.

Has anyone else had similar trouble removing these bearings? This is lightly used raw carbon comp frame I bought used. That I am trying to service and tune up. The bearings seem to be in good shape I just want to clean and repack them with grease and the seals cannot be removed while in the frame due to double bearings and spacer. Thanks!

Posted: Apr 30, 2022 at 9:52 Quote
Those bearings come out pretty easily for me using a blind hole type bearing puller (SHX-1 if you want a blue one)

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2022 at 10:03 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
Those bearings come out pretty easily for me using a blind hole type bearing puller (SHX-1 if you want a blue one)

Well, I might need to buy that tool someday but I’d like to use the other $400 removal tool that is supposed to work in this situation.

Can you reuse a bearing after it’s been extracted with a slide hammer? With the SBK-1 I’ve had good luck reusing extracted bearings. When possible I clean and repack them while in the frame though.

Posted: Apr 30, 2022 at 11:06 Quote
Anybody have Cascade link?Its better with link?

Posted: Apr 30, 2022 at 15:02 Quote
BruceJR wrote:
Well, I might need to buy that tool someday but I’d like to use the other $400 removal tool that is supposed to work in this situation.

Can you reuse a bearing after it’s been extracted with a slide hammer? With the SBK-1 I’ve had good luck reusing extracted bearings. When possible I clean and repack them while in the frame though.

I've only ever used an old slide hammer extractor as that's what my shop had, just sharing my experience.

I've replaced a couple of broken seatstays on Levos and SJs with the same horst link bearing layout and have been able to re-use the bearings (to transfer to new stays). But if the bearings are really far gone and the outer race is seized in the bearing seat, sometimes the extractor will blow up the bearing and only remove the inner race. Never had that happen on those specific horst link bearings though

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2022 at 20:32 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
BruceJR wrote:

I've only ever used an old slide hammer extractor as that's what my shop had, just sharing my experience.

I've replaced a couple of broken seatstays on Levos and SJs with the same horst link bearing layout and have been able to re-use the bearings (to transfer to new stays). But if the bearings are really far gone and the outer race is seized in the bearing seat, sometimes the extractor will blow up the bearing and only remove the inner race. Never had that happen on those specific horst link bearings though

There is a really good tool that works for this and you can just buy that one size- based on the bearing size- they ship fast- basically you tighten it into one bearing and then punch it out- there is a video and it was easy. I think it’s less than $20
https://www.bearingprotools.com/products/bearing-puller

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2022 at 22:36 Quote
That bearing pros tool could certainly have worked in the pivot bearings. I’m not sure it would work in certain locations were you can’t access the back or the bearing to hammer it out.

O+
Posted: May 1, 2022 at 16:01 Quote
I ended up taking that part to the LBS to have them remove the 4 bearings. Reportedly it took 2 guys 40 minutes to get them out using a variety of presses and taps. There was no loctite used from the factory. The Specialized manual calls for green loctite which I will NOT be using.

Posted: May 2, 2022 at 4:18 Quote
BruceJR wrote:
Drop Out Horst Link Pivot Bearings removal problem: Having an impossible time removing bearing J from either side of the Drop Out/Host Link location. There are two bearings with an internal spacer. Using the Park Tool SBK-1 removal tool any other bearing I’ve tried came out pretty easily. Not these ones. I’ve applied enough pressure to create an indentation on the frame at one point so I don’t want to keep forcing the issue.

Has anyone else had similar trouble removing these bearings? This is lightly used raw carbon comp frame I bought used. That I am trying to service and tune up. The bearings seem to be in good shape I just want to clean and repack them with grease and the seals cannot be removed while in the frame due to double bearings and spacer. Thanks!

I've just redone all 20 bearings in my frame and those were the worst to get out, I couldnt get enough purchase on them with my blind puller and ended up cracking one of the inner races, LBS did it in mins and charged me £9, turns out the spacer between is just a spacer and not part of the frame as I was worried about, next time I'll just need to aim for the gap and go for it, it does help to have removed the stays from the rest of the frame.

Posted: May 2, 2022 at 8:42 Quote
Has anyone back to back tested an Enduro and a Nukeproof Mega v4? I'm thinking about making the switch just for the sake of change.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012314
Mobile Version of Website