2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
Posted: May 2, 2022 at 10:43 Quote
jaame wrote:
Has anyone back to back tested an Enduro and a Nukeproof Mega v4? I'm thinking about making the switch just for the sake of change.

Nope, but just swapped the Enduro for a Range for the same reason. Range descends exactly 16.3% better but climbs 17.2% worse (highly accurate numbers based on nothing but my gut).

Not unstoked on the choice overall, but the Enduro is a hell of a bike. If I could send a message back in time to my impulsive self it would be to consider holding off until Specialized releases the updated Enduro.

Steeper seat angle, adjustable head angle, maybe slightly improved kinematics(?). Will be hard to beat.

Posted: May 12, 2022 at 7:54 Quote
Anyone know if Hope braided hoses fit inside the Enduro’s internal brake guide?
Thanks

Posted: May 12, 2022 at 8:34 Quote
rugbyred wrote:
Anyone know if Hope braided hoses fit inside the Enduro’s internal brake guide?
Thanks

I can tell you the Hayes Dominion hoses were a real struggle. I ended up kinking the hose on my first go at it. Actually had to lube the hose the second time around and that went ok. I just measured the OD of that hose at 5.2 mm. Looks like the Hope OD is 6mm according to this random guy:

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/hope-braided-hose-external-diameter.587372/#:~:text=...idios...&text=6mm.

Posted: May 12, 2022 at 9:31 Quote
Thanks. Hope is 6mm for braided and 5mm for standard.

Posted: May 14, 2022 at 17:11 Quote
I'm trying to get in contact with WRP for a few days, but with no success. Do you know if they ship worldwide?
Looking for a mullet link for my Enduro.

Thanks

keju wrote:
I have a WRP mullet on my Enduro and wholly agree with this.
jaame wrote:
I've had a few bikes set up as mullets (not the Enduro). When you replce a 29er rear with a 275, you immediately notice more snappy accelleration and a tighter turning radius. Also the ability to tighten the line mmid-corner is better, and when jumping, the bike is more flickable and easier to catch late backsides.
On the downside, its just a lot slower at rolling. Noticably slower when on group rides in my case. On long straight bridleway sections (I know it's not real mountain biking - in the chunk the mullet was gold) I'd be rolling and talking to friends, all freewheeling, and they would just roll faster than me.
On Strava, most of my best times at bike parks and other groomed trails are still on my Mega 290, full 29. Some really chunky DH bits were better on the mullet Capra in the high setting.

Horses for courses, but if you need to roll or pedal, 29/29 is faster in my experience.
If it's steep and chunky, easy to pick up speed, mullets are rude.

*I have only done back to back testing on the Mega. Never used the Enduro as a mullet (and don't want to).

Posted: May 15, 2022 at 19:15 Quote
Caveirex wrote:
I'm trying to get in contact with WRP for a few days, but with no success. Do you know if they ship worldwide?

Thanks

keju wrote:
jaame wrote:
I've had a few bikes set up as mullets (not the Enduro). When you replce a 29er rear with a 275, you immediately notice more snappy accelleration and a tighter turning radius. Also the ability to tighten the line mmid-corner is better, and when jumping, the bike is more flickable and easier to catch late backsides.
On the downside, its just a lot slower at rolling. Noticably slower when on group rides in my case. On long straight bridleway sections (I know it's not real mountain biking - in the chunk the mullet was gold) I'd be rolling and talking to friends, all freewheeling, and they would just roll faster than me.
On Strava, most of my best times at bike parks and other groomed trails are still on my Mega 290, full 29. Some really chunky DH bits were better on the mullet Capra in the high setting.

Horses for courses, but if you need to roll or pedal, 29/29 is faster in my experience.
If it's steep and chunky, easy to pick up speed, mullets are rude.

*I have only done back to back testing on the Mega. Never used the Enduro as a mullet (and don't want to).

Yes they ship worldwide. I’m in the states and they got a link to me. Took about 25 days total. Shipping is super slow from Australia.
Instagram is the fastest way to get ahold of them.

Posted: May 15, 2022 at 19:47 Quote
I'm in the US and my link arrived at my door 5 days after placing an order on their site.

Petiloi wrote:
Caveirex wrote:

Thanks

keju wrote:

Yes they ship worldwide. I’m in the states and they got a link to me. Took about 25 days total. Shipping is super slow from Australia.

Posted: May 15, 2022 at 19:59 Quote
keju wrote:
I'm in the US and my link arrived at my door 5 days after placing an order on their site.

Petiloi wrote:
Caveirex wrote:

Thanks

Wow that’s quick. I have a stumpy link from them and a enduro link. Both took about 20 to 25 days. I’m in California. So maybe that played a part. Mine actually sat waiting in Australia to get a flight for about a week plus. Either way I am more than happy with their yokes/links. They have excellent craftsmanship and quality. I fully recommend them as you can tell with my repeat business.

Posted: May 15, 2022 at 23:54 Quote
What I don’t get about the mullet link is how much difference it actually makes. Obviously it’s a link that is very slightly longer than the stock link, which allows the rear axle to be slightly lower at full extension. Given that the chainstay is already only about a millimetre off the top of the BB she’ll with the stock link, I am dubious as to whether the mullet link can in fact correct the geometry with a 275 wheel. Has anyone actually measured the geo with the mullet link, or just assumed the blurb is correct? Don’t they claim “almost” corrects the geo? What does that mean in numerical terms?

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 7:52 Quote
Someone did... https://theloamwolf.com/2021/08/04/review-williams-racing-products-specialized-enduro-mullet-yoke/

jaame wrote:
What I don’t get about the mullet link is how much difference it actually makes. Obviously it’s a link that is very slightly longer than the stock link, which allows the rear axle to be slightly lower at full extension. Given that the chainstay is already only about a millimetre off the top of the BB she’ll with the stock link, I am dubious as to whether the mullet link can in fact correct the geometry with a 275 wheel. Has anyone actually measured the geo with the mullet link, or just assumed the blurb is correct? Don’t they claim “almost” corrects the geo? What does that mean in numerical terms?

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 17:48 Quote
Hello guys.
First time with carbon wheels...now i have roval carbon on my Enduro, and wondering if you see advantage of using inserts or not.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 18:00 Quote
Caveirex wrote:
Hello guys.
First time with carbon wheels...now i have roval carbon on my Enduro, and wondering if you see advantage of using inserts or not.

I have the 30mm wide new Controls (not SL) on mine. As far as I know, using inserts will void the warranty. Not sure if that's the case for the Traverse.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 19:50 Quote
Caveirex wrote:
Hello guys.

I run an insert in my rear but on 'we are one' rims.. A buddy of mine that runs a bike shop in Moab, Utah, USA and he said that he's seen quite a few failures with the insert creating hot spots on carbon rims and fracturing them.

I respect his opinion dearly but I still run mine in the rear and have done for 1k+ miles with zero issues and I ride mostly rocky descents.

I don't really know how strong roval rims are but I give my rims hell @190lb with no adverse effects!

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 20:22 Quote
j6y wrote:
Caveirex wrote:
Hello guys.

I run an insert in my rear but on 'we are one' rims.. A buddy of mine that runs a bike shop in Moab, Utah, USA and he said that he's seen quite a few failures with the insert creating hot spots on carbon rims and fracturing them.

I respect his opinion dearly but I still run mine in the rear and have done for 1k+ miles with zero issues and I ride mostly rocky descents.

I don't really know how strong roval rims are but I give my rims hell @190lb with no adverse effects!

Can you elaborate on the "inserts creating hot spots" please? I have not heard of this and wondering in what context this is. During riding or from ambient temperatures? Not implying you are incorrect just trying to understand.

Inserts are good if you can live with the weight penalty and the price you pay for essentially some rings of foam (referring to Cushcore). They give you some piece of mind and I feel like it improves the ride somewhat; however this may be due to the lower pressures I run with inserts in.

Personally, I tried the insert idea with some DIY foam inserts; Spa pool/hottub foam which is a closed cell dense foam which when sitting next to a Cushcore ring, looks identical in colour, texture and feels the same density wise with the old finger test. Got a few offcuts from the local rubber shop and got them to cut it up into long 35mm width strips, trimmed it up to rough cushcore profile with a razorblade and taped it into a ring and pulled it over the rim. Still running this setup 2 years later and have had no issues.

$30NZD as opposed to $300NZD (set of 2 29er Cushcore rings). I got 4x 29r wheels out of one off cut so $7.50 per wheel was worthwhile to "roughly" test the insert theory out. I say roughly as Cushcore is definitely a more refined product in terms of shape etc but at the end of the day, its foam and its job is to wear the brunt of the force instead of the rim so being a little rough around the edges shouldn't really affect the feel much IMO.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006292
Mobile Version of Website