2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 5:29 Quote
Gives you 180mm rear travel?

I believe that is still open for debate! Some have said that the Enduro actually has more than 170mm of travel, so if that is true, you may have more than 180 or slightly less.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 6:40 Quote
Based on average leverage ratio, an extra 5mm stroke would give an extra 14mm of travel!

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 7:56 Quote
jaame wrote:
Based on average leverage ratio, an extra 5mm stroke would give an extra 14mm of travel!

But where the extra stroke is in the shock, the leverage rate is lowest, giving an increase below the average rate. I vaguely remember some numbers posted last year saying the enduro has 174mm stock, and a 65mm shock would give it 181mm.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 8:26 Quote
176mm stock.... riders who have gone to 65mm have said they haven't noticed the difference.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 8:29 Quote
yeah i have mine at 65mm stroke, not a big change at all. i think i honestly prefer the 60mm stroke as it ramps up in the mid stroke better.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 8:57 Quote
The cascade link is your better choice to up progression and add travel. There is a noticeable change between the stock link and the cascade. I change between the two pretty regularly, depending on the type of riding.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 10:55 Quote
JanLaksesvela wrote:
Just got done putting all the parts on my brand new frame here, and I'm sorta worried about the sounds coming from the X2 when cycling the suspension. Kinda sounds like someone left it at the beach for too long and sand got lodged in places where it shouldnt.

Is it supposed to sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/P0elV_-Veog

Thanks

No, the damper oil has air in it and the shock needs a rebuild. I have the same exact frame and shock and mine also did that out of the box. I sent it to Fox and they rebuilt it under warranty, no questions asked as this is very common with X2s

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 11:50 Quote
Not being funny but honestly, can anyone notice a 4mm travel difference on a 170 bike? It's like, 2% more. Less than the give in a tyre. Less than the flex in the cranks. No one would notice that!

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 12:18 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:

No, the damper oil has air in it and the shock needs a rebuild. I have the same exact frame and shock and mine also did that out of the box. I sent it to Fox and they rebuilt it under warranty, no questions asked as this is very common with X2s

Thanks a bunch. Only ever ran a coil shock on my previous bike, so I wasn't sure if this was some air shock thing or defect.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 12:37 Quote
jaame wrote:
Not being funny but honestly, can anyone notice a 4mm travel difference on a 170 bike? It's like, 2% more. Less than the give in a tyre. Less than the flex in the cranks. No one would notice that!

I can’t say I’ve noticed the difference except that my cranks are a little lower when at proper sag. Saying that, I should put my spacer back in and see if I notice a little more clearance.

Either way, the bike is fun. I’ve installed the angle set from 9.8 and it’s even more fun for my type of riding.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 15:52 Quote
jaame wrote:

Remember that the shock travel is not the same as at the rear wheel. I don’t know what the leverage ratio is, but let’s say it’s 3:1. That 4mm is now 12mm, or close about 1/2”.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 20:56 Quote
JanLaksesvela wrote:
Just got done putting all the parts on my brand new frame here, and I'm sorta worried about the sounds coming from the X2 when cycling the suspension. Kinda sounds like someone left it at the beach for too long and sand got lodged in places where it shouldnt.

Thanks

Me and my buddies have blown up countless float x2's. New and old on many different bikes. Always ends up sounding cavitated/squishy (air in the oil) off the top and lose the majority of their damping but still ridable. Good shock when it's running well, but I'd recommend having a backup so you can still ride when you have to warranty it every 3-6 months

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 18:55 Quote
The X2 is great when it works, but they do tend to break! I have two now, one as a backup, as I have blown out two if them in a year!

p2rida wrote:
JanLaksesvela wrote:

Thanks

Me and my buddies have blown up countless float x2's. New and old on many different bikes. Always ends up sounding cavitated/squishy (air in the oil) off the top and lose the majority of their damping but still ridable. Good shock when it's running well, but I'd recommend having a backup so you can still ride when you have to warranty it every 3-6 months

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 20:25 Quote
happening with all sorts of Fox rear shocks on different bikes.... RS way more reliable

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 22:36 Quote
RS is better but the float X is very good and way better than the X2 in general

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006996
Mobile Version of Website