2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 12:55 Quote
sophisticatedhonky wrote:
You have to keep in mind that yes, it pedals well for a 170 travel bike. There’s much better one bike options out there. I’ve been there done that. A bike like a sentinel is probably much better suited if you like to rip and only can have one. That being said, any bike can be fast.

I feel like a lot of people are just explaining to themselves why it’s okay to have the enduro as a single bike even if they live in low elevation areas which I find mind boggling. No offense.

I think part of this comes down to the under/over biking debate which I’m in the under camp. Just know that on the enduro forum you’re gonna get a lot of confirmation bias and almost everyone will be in the over bike camp. If that’s what you want to hear you’ve came to the right place.

There’s no doubt you’re right about some people’s bike situations here. But to give a little perspective, I also own a Banshee Phantom with a 1300g carbon wheelset and light wall tires, and am fortunate to have the means that I could have a bike for every separate discipline if I wanted. I’m also a serial bike swapper, so no real confirmation bias here. I was genuinely impressed / surprised at how capable the enduro is on terrain that isn’t just winch and plummet. I also lived in BC for two years before moving to the east coast, so I’m familiar with long steep climbs.

I would also hazard a guess that we have our suspension set up quite differently.

One last thing to add, I swapped the stock 12 speed X01 for an 11 speed xtr drivetrain with a 10-40 cassette / 30t ring. So I’m not exactly plodding along in 50t up climbs.

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 14:06 Quote
jawa wrote:
sophisticatedhonky wrote:
You have to keep in mind that yes, it pedals well for a 170 travel bike. There’s much better one bike options out there. I’ve been there done that. A bike like a sentinel is probably much better suited if you like to rip and only can have one. That being said, any bike can be fast.

I feel like a lot of people are just explaining to themselves why it’s okay to have the enduro as a single bike even if they live in low elevation areas which I find mind boggling. No offense.

I think part of this comes down to the under/over biking debate which I’m in the under camp. Just know that on the enduro forum you’re gonna get a lot of confirmation bias and almost everyone will be in the over bike camp. If that’s what you want to hear you’ve came to the right place.

There’s no doubt you’re right about some people’s bike situations here. But to give a little perspective, I also own a Banshee Phantom with a 1300g carbon wheelset and light wall tires, and am fortunate to have the means that I could have a bike for every separate discipline if I wanted. I’m also a serial bike swapper, so no real confirmation bias here. I was genuinely impressed / surprised at how capable the enduro is on terrain that isn’t just winch and plummet. I also lived in BC for two years before moving to the east coast, so I’m familiar with long steep climbs.

I would also hazard a guess that we have our suspension set up quite differently.

One last thing to add, I swapped the stock 12 speed X01 for an 11 speed xtr drivetrain with a 10-40 cassette / 30t ring. So I’m not exactly plodding along in 50t up climbs.

if you own a banshee phantom with a lightweight wheelset, you would know that the enduro is not even comparable to that set up. the enduro can certainly keep up on trails where you need to pump and hustle up climbs but if 70% of your riding is like that, i would go in another direction. its just kind of pointless to have a bike like that if you arent spending most of your time in the steeps. something like a SC Hightower, Banshee prime, Specialized stumpjumper, RM instinct, would make a better bike most of the time while still being able to handle that 30% when you're in the gnar. Ive owned every bike that ive mentioned in this paragraph, as well as the enduro.

Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 14:21 Quote
MOmidwestshred wrote:
Hey all, I'm looking at getting a used 2020 Specialized Enduro(from a dealer). It would likely be too much bike for what I ride 70% of the time, but from the reviews I've read, it is supposed to pedal really well. How does the bike do in technical climbing situations, on more mellow trails, or on trails with lots of ups and downs(punchy climbs)?

The Enduro pedals well for a 170 bike, but if 70% of your riding is on mellow terrain the Enduro is gonna feel pretty sluggish and boring compared to shorter sharper bike. There are lots of 130-150mm bikes that can handle the 30% of your riding at the park/steeps/gnar but will be much better suited as a daily driver.

For many people the Enduro is a great do everything bike, if 70% of your riding warrants a big bike. I've owned and ridden many of the top enduro bikes out there and I think the Enduro is one of the most versatile. That said if I was gonna ditch my Enduro and Tallboy I'd probably go for something like a Hightower or Sentinel (not an SJ or SJ Evo tho, I don't care for those bikes)

Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 14:38 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
For many people the Enduro is a great do everything bike, if 70% of your riding warrants a big bike. I've owned and ridden many of the top enduro bikes out there and I think the Enduro is one of the most versatile. That said if I was gonna ditch my Enduro and Tallboy I'd probably go for something like a Hightower or Sentinel (not an SJ or SJ Evo tho, I don't care for those bikes)

Why dont you care for them?

Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 15:07 Quote
newbermuda wrote:

if you own a banshee phantom with a lightweight wheelset, you would know that the enduro is not even comparable to that set up. the enduro can certainly keep up on trails where you need to pump and hustle up climbs but if 70% of your riding is like that, i would go in another direction. its just kind of pointless to have a bike like that if you arent spending most of your time in the steeps. something like a SC Hightower, Banshee prime, Specialized stumpjumper, RM instinct, would make a better bike most of the time while still being able to handle that 30% when you're in the gnar. Ive owned every bike that ive mentioned in this paragraph, as well as the enduro.

Can you tell me alittle bit more about the RM Instinct? I found one on the buy sell under 3k but I would want to replace the Rockshox 35 right away. Just to clear something up, the Enduro would be too much for me now but I just started riding 2 years ago so as I ride and travel more, I plan to ride more gnarly trails. I will also hope to race some of the Bentonville Enduro next year. I do understand what you guys are saying about it being too much bike though Smile

Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 21:58 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:

To clarify I don't think either one is bad, I just think there are better options (for myself at least). Both bikes have great geo, but are let down by their suspension design/performance. I also think Specialized went too far in trying to make them as light as possible which resulted in borderline underbuilt frames. I've owned the current carbon SJ and alloy Evo (also ridden the carbon Evo) and can go into more detail if you'd like

Not trying to dump on Specialized though, I love my Enduro. Spent time on a Banshee Titan and RM Altitude recently, both were fantastic but the Enduro is still my favorite big bike.

Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 22:03 Quote
I would test the bikes i want to buy if possible there where you live.

I would choose the bike i want.

I would ride the bike.

It doesn*t matter if it fits the terrain or not. Buy what makes you happy. I choose the bikes i want to ride by the looks and performance. And i am happy Smile

There will be always a better bike to do that or this. The perfect alroundbike doen*t exist.

But as an owner of the speci enduro i can say. It pedals well and for me it pedaled good enough. Most of the pedaling power comes from the human being sitting on the bike. If your a noodle you pedal Like a noodle.

For super mellow terrain: yes can be little bit boring but you can also manual all the way down. Wink did you try that? Or use kickers for jumps etc. etc.

Cheers

Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 22:12 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
HeatedRotor wrote:

To clarify I don't think either one is bad, I just think there are better options (for myself at least). Both bikes have great geo, but are let down by their suspension design/performance. I also think Specialized went too far in trying to make them as light as possible which resulted in borderline underbuilt frames. I've owned the current carbon SJ and alloy Evo (also ridden the carbon Evo) and can go into more detail if you'd like

Not trying to dump on Specialized though, I love my Enduro. Spent time on a Banshee Titan and RM Altitude recently, both were fantastic but the Enduro is still my favorite big bike.

Fair and i agree with the suspension design part, its good up untill a point.

Im going to assume your talking about the issues the odd person has had with the downtube breaking?

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 22:50 Quote
MOmidwestshred wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

Can you tell me alittle bit more about the RM Instinct? I found one on the buy sell under 3k but I would want to replace the Rockshox 35 right away. Just to clear something up, the Enduro would be too much for me now but I just started riding 2 years ago so as I ride and travel more, I plan to ride more gnarly trails. I will also hope to race some of the Bentonville Enduro next year. I do understand what you guys are saying about it being too much bike though Smile

It is a great little bike. i have used it as both an instinct and altitude, and i leave it as the altitude because it climbs just as good but definitely is more capable descending. I think the instinct would make a great bike for you as a newer rider, its quick and snappy and has lots of adjustability to let you find your perfect set up. itll handle your more mellow riding while still being able to handle the other 30% stuff extremely well. much more poppy and playful that the enduro, i have other bikes but have a hard time wanting to ride them because i just love my altitude so much

Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 23:09 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
Im going to assume your talking about the issues the odd person has had with the downtube breaking?

Was more speaking to my experience with the SJ, the rear end feels a little noodley when pushing it hard which isn't surprising since it looks like it's off the Epic. To be fair I didn't really register the flex as an issue until I hopped on a Tallboy and realized how much more solid it felt on descents.

Evo was adequately stiff but the paper thin downtube isn't ideal. I was replacing some snapped chainstays on an Evo and pulled the downtube cover off to inspect, and the carbon there was about half the thickness of my regular SJ and Enduro. I think the number of cracked Evos goes beyond the "odd person". I've definitely bounced some sizable rocks off my Enduro and it shrugged them off without damage. Obviously the Enduro also has/had (apparently fixed for '22) the cracking headset issue but at least that gets you a free frame vs crash replacement.

Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 5:33 Quote
Hey.
Im going to upgrade my headset from the stock FSA that came with the frame. Id imagine the Chris King is the best, but has anyone tried the Wolftooth headset for the Enduro ??

From reading forums and having a creak coming from that area it sounds like the FSA is crap.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 6:31 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
MOmidwestshred wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

It is a great little bike. i have used it as both an instinct and altitude, and i leave it as the altitude because it climbs just as good but definitely is more capable descending. I think the instinct would make a great bike for you as a newer rider, its quick and snappy and has lots of adjustability to let you find your perfect set up. itll handle your more mellow riding while still being able to handle the other 30% stuff extremely well. much more poppy and playful that the enduro, i have other bikes but have a hard time wanting to ride them because i just love my altitude so much

Are you saying that you can turn it into an Altitude by putting a longer stroke shock and longer fork on the instinct frame?

Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 6:34 Quote
ramymcc22 wrote:
Hey.
Im going to upgrade my headset from the stock FSA that came with the frame. Id imagine the Chris King is the best, but has anyone tried the Wolftooth headset for the Enduro ??

From reading forums and having a creak coming from that area it sounds like the FSA is crap.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

i'm riding a CK headset.

i can tell you my story of it.

The FSA has a much bigger area where it lays in the cups. The CK has a smaller area. maybe i can make a foto later.

The common problem is, that the headsetcups from the frame are really s**** manufactured. That means, the bearing sits loose in it, it hasn't a good fit.

If i tight my CK bearings with the common NM. the whole thing is floating around, so it has play.

I showed these to my LBS. After he inspected it etc. he said everything is fine.

After a while i wanted to clean everything. i noticed how much it was tighten. crazy AF....

And now whats the solution or the conclusion, i think it doesnt matter which bearings are in it, the problem will be the frame ( headset cups ) it self.

From now on my CK bearings are tighten until theres no play anymore... The good thing the CK are well crafted so it doesnt affect it really.

Riding until the frame will cracking again Dead Horse

Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 6:37 Quote
Daveproride wrote:
I would test the bikes i want to buy if possible there where you live.

I would choose the bike i want.

I would ride the bike.

It doesn*t matter if it fits the terrain or not. Buy what makes you happy. I choose the bikes i want to ride by the looks and performance. And i am happy Smile

There will be always a better bike to do that or this. The perfect alroundbike doen*t exist.

But as an owner of the speci enduro i can say. It pedals well and for me it pedaled good enough. Most of the pedaling power comes from the human being sitting on the bike. If your a noodle you pedal Like a noodle.

For super mellow terrain: yes can be little bit boring but you can also manual all the way down. Wink did you try that? Or use kickers for jumps etc. etc.

Cheers

Yeah I have some friends that ride Enduros. I'm hoping to test ride one of theirs at some point Smile

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 6:46 Quote
[Quote="MOmidwestshred"]
MOmidwestshred I am a fellow Missouri guy, but I live about 30 minutes from Shepherd mountain. To be completely honest, if Shepherd mountain didn't exist, I would not be on an enduro. Shepherd is a completely different place than anywhere else in the Midwest. NWA doesn't even compare. I know there's some big jumps up in Kansas City and they're definitely some rippers up there, but I think you'd be better off on more of a 130-150mm (rear) bike. That's plenty for Arkansas, too.
But if you get an enduro because you want to do some hucks, it can definitely pedal just fine.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011378
Mobile Version of Website