2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
Posted: Oct 2, 2022 at 11:25 Quote
Blownoutrides wrote:
Really hope they don’t shrink the other sizes if they add an S6. At 6’4” the current S5 510mm reach is absolutely perfect. The new XXL mega (520 reach) turned out to be too big after owning for a hot minute. The XL (495 reach) seemed too small when I test rode it, but I guess if Ben Cathro can ride it maybe I can too.

I'm in the same position, I'm 6'5" and the current S5 Enduro is has near perfect geo for me (tied with XL RM Altitude w/ -1 headset). I've owned an S6 SJ which was too big and S5 SJ Evo which was too small. I've also mostly written off Santa Cruz and Transition since I'm between sizes on the majority of their bikes.

I can get away with a shorter ~500 reach, but not if the bike has the trendy super steep SA. Even with a tall head tube and riser bars, I end up with too much weight on my hands on flats and feel cramped on longer rides.

I'm hoping they keep the reaches a bit longer per size than the Evo just to differentiate the geo a bit and make up for the HA which will probably be a bit slacker. If they do that I could probably make a new S5 work with a slightly longer stem. Otherwise I'll just have a reason not to impulsively buy the new model...

O+
Posted: Oct 2, 2022 at 20:43 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
Blownoutrides wrote:
Really hope they don’t shrink the other sizes if they add an S6. At 6’4” the current S5 510mm reach is absolutely perfect. The new XXL mega (520 reach) turned out to be too big after owning for a hot minute. The XL (495 reach) seemed too small when I test rode it, but I guess if Ben Cathro can ride it maybe I can too.

I'm in the same position, I'm 6'5" and the current S5 Enduro is has near perfect geo for me (tied with XL RM Altitude w/ -1 headset). I've owned an S6 SJ which was too big and S5 SJ Evo which was too small. I've also mostly written off Santa Cruz and Transition since I'm between sizes on the majority of their bikes.

I am smitten with the altitude -1 setup but i can't help wondering about the MT2. reach is 15mm shorter (probably less w/ Angleset) but the stack is 20mm more in low which could help bring them pretty close in feel. Have the possibility to pick up a frame this week but so much money...

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2022 at 11:58 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
Blownoutrides wrote:

I can get away with a shorter ~500 reach, but not if the bike has the trendy super steep SA. Even with a tall head tube and riser bars, I end up with too much weight on my hands on flats and feel cramped on longer rides.

I'm hoping they keep the reaches a bit longer per size than the Evo just to differentiate the geo a bit and make up for the HA which will probably be a bit slacker. If they do that I could probably make a new S5 work with a slightly longer stem. Otherwise I'll just have a reason not to impulsively buy the new model...

I rode an XL Rocky Altitude A50 a few weeks ago. It was in the short chainstay and central Ride 4 position. I wanted to fiddle with all that and configure it as closely to the Enduro as possible for direct comparison. Anyway, in that configuration, it felt entirely different than the Enduro, though they're similarity marketed. The Altitude was way more "trail-bike" feely and sporty. Way less "plow-bike". The short CS was noticeable as I felt about to loop-out whenever the front wheel came up. The simpler GRIP equipped 'performance' 38 was pretty easy to set up and rode pretty nicely. I had to max out the rebound damping though to not get pogo'd for whatever air pressure the rental shop had in there for my 220 lb self. The rental tech looked genuinely offended when I began fiddling with knobs after he'd just set it up for my on-paper preferences.

Posted: Oct 3, 2022 at 14:13 Quote
kurt2 wrote:
I rode an XL Rocky Altitude A50 a few weeks ago. It was in the short chainstay and central Ride 4 position. I wanted to fiddle with all that and configure it as closely to the Enduro as possible for direct comparison. Anyway, in that configuration, it felt entirely different than the Enduro, though they're similarity marketed. The Altitude was way more "trail-bike" feely and sporty. Way less "plow-bike". The short CS was noticeable as I felt about to loop-out whenever the front wheel came up. The simpler GRIP equipped 'performance' 38 was pretty easy to set up and rode pretty nicely. I had to max out the rebound damping though to not get pogo'd for whatever air pressure the rental shop had in there for my 220 lb self. The rental tech looked genuinely offended when I began fiddling with knobs after he'd just set it up for my on-paper preferences.

Yeah in general I'd say the Altitude feels like it's somewhere between the Enduro and something like a SJ Evo or Sentinel, especially in the steep/short setup you were running. I pretty much exclusively ran my XL carbon with the long CS, neutral chip, and -1 angleset. With that setup it's really capable, geo wise it feels slightly more stable than the Enduro (longer WB, longer CS, slacker ha). But the Enduro overall feels more capable as the frame is noticeably stiffer (not always a plus) and the suspension feels deeper/more forgiving. The Altitude is lighter, but isn't really any easier to throw around since the WB and CS is longer and BB lower (with my setup).

Climbing wise I'd say they're similar, the Altitude has a bit better climbing geo (with long CS setting at least) and is lighter. The Enduro feels significantly more efficient/snappy suspension wise which kinda levels it out.

Overall the Altitude was a great bike for me, didn't really have any issues besides the stupid proprietary shock bearing hardware. But I certainly don't regret going back to the Enduro...

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2022 at 18:29 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
Blownoutrides wrote:

I am smitten with the altitude -1 setup but i can't help wondering about the MT2. reach is 15mm shorter (probably less w/ Angleset) but the stack is 20mm more in low which could help bring them pretty close in feel. Have the possibility to pick up a frame this week but so much money...

Absolutely loved the MT2.

Only issue was with sizing and even then only in corners. With all the added reach and stack and slack, the front wheel of the XXL MT2 was 24mm farther out than the S5 Enduro, which made it hard to weight properly and it always seemed to want to slide out in corners. Switching to the high setting helped a lot FWIW. I bet if I’d gone with the XL MT2 I’d be pretty stoked with it.

I guess the takeaway for your situation is that you might compare the front center of the MT2 to the enduro to get a sense for how it’ll feel(?). The added stack on the MT2 really drives the bars back and creates a deceptively small reach number.

Posted: Oct 3, 2022 at 22:01 Quote
newbermuda wrote:

I'm sure you'd fit the XL MT2 just fine, especially since you seemed to get along with the XL banshees. But yeah the pricing sucks especially compared to specialized

O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2022 at 23:03 Quote
kurt2 wrote:
For those who've received S-works warranty frames, have they been holding up at the head-set bearing seats? It was tough to visually see any difference between the new frame, and my outgoing one. Soon I'll pull the fork, clean things, and do a thorough inspection. Just curious what others have experienced.

I had a replacement frame (production date 01/2022) - headset bearing seat still cracked - will get a new one next week (info from local dealer) Frown Frown - I will sell the new frame, because I´m to afraid that it will brake again....

Posted: Oct 5, 2022 at 1:29 Quote
19flo09 wrote:
kurt2 wrote:
For those who've received S-works warranty frames, have they been holding up at the head-set bearing seats? It was tough to visually see any difference between the new frame, and my outgoing one. Soon I'll pull the fork, clean things, and do a thorough inspection. Just curious what others have experienced.

I had a replacement frame (production date 01/2022) - headset bearing seat still cracked - will get a new one next week (info from local dealer) Frown Frown - I will sell the new frame, because I´m to afraid that it will brake again....

Was my same tought, but this bike is so amazing, i will keep it, till i dont know xD

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2022 at 5:32 Quote
Hamburgi wrote:
19flo09 wrote:
kurt2 wrote:

Was my same tought, but this bike is so amazing, i will keep it, till i dont know xD

Absolutely right, but my dealer told me, that the next replacement frame will come in September 2023, so I don´t want to be without a bike next summer...
Currently looking for an alternative bike - Claymore, Madonna,....

Posted: Oct 5, 2022 at 10:58 Quote
19flo09 wrote:

Got a picture of the frame and crack? Not sure of the production date on my purple '22 frame (sticker came off) but I want to see what the layup looks like on yours

Posted: Oct 5, 2022 at 21:53 Quote
19flo09 wrote:
Hamburgi wrote:
19flo09 wrote:

Absolutely right, but my dealer told me, that the next replacement frame will come in September 2023, so I don´t want to be without a bike next summer...

1 year for the replacement frame?

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2022 at 23:14 Quote
gpgalanis wrote:
19flo09 wrote:
Hamburgi wrote:

1 year for the replacement frame?

Thats the info from my dealer...

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2022 at 23:14 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
19flo09 wrote:

Got a picture of the frame and crack? Not sure of the production date on my purple '22 frame (sticker came off) but I want to see what the layup looks like on yours

https://ibb.co/m4zNcXb

Posted: Oct 6, 2022 at 1:39 Quote
Would you ask for a refund to buy another frame? 2 faulty frames and being told to wait for a year for the third doesn't seem reasonable.

Edit: I read it properly this time. You have a third frame but are being told you'd need to wait a year if this one breaks.

O+
Posted: Oct 6, 2022 at 4:25 Quote
Was told 6-8 weeks for a replacement here in Canada

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011417
Mobile Version of Website