2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 22:27 Quote
PabloMoll wrote:
Hey guys...I just got an Enduro Elite 2020. I haven't removed the lowers yet...does any of you know if it comes with the new new debon air...I wouldn't think so since the fork looses some mm on itself...

2020 model comes with "old" debonair, you have to buy seal head and nut for 20$ if you want new new debonair.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 18:48 Quote
spendtimebehindbars wrote:
Anyone know the max recommended width for rear tire? Got a nice gash in my 2.3" Eliminator and looking at a 2.6" Eliminator blck dmnd casing... I realize I can try out the front 2.6" Butcher on the back myself but not sure if it's a good idea as there could be higher risk of rocks and stuff that briefly sticks to the tire hitting the frame. Cheers

My bike has 2.6 butchers front and rear, i love it.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 20:03 Quote
moppop999 wrote:
Anyone know the max recommended width for rear tire? Got a nice gash in my 2.3" Eliminator and looking at a 2.6" Eliminator blck dmnd casing... I realize I can try out the front 2.6" Butcher on the back myself but not sure if it's a good idea as there could be higher risk of rocks and stuff that briefly sticks to the tire hitting the frame. Cheers

My bike has 2.6 butchers front and rear, i love it.

Butchers are decent tires. the Assegai/DHR II combo is better though IMO. From my experience the DHR II is the best tire for braking esp on the steeps.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 23:17 Quote
cjarrett wrote:
100%.

To jump on the train, I'm 6'3" but with long limbs, the S5 is the first bike that felt big enough for me. I swapped the dropper for a 210mm OneUp and its perfect now, I have it cinched about 3" out of the seat tube on the S5.

I absolutely needed to change up my riding style as well, was washing out the front-end in the first couple of days, got the suspension better dialed in, put an Assegai on the front, run around 22psi, and I don't need to lean nearly as far back as I used to on my 650b bike or 26"ers before that. The sweet spot front to rear is much longer so I can ride way rowdier terrain without ever feeling like I'm going otb.

I'd definitely err on the bigger side of bikes for where I ride, North Shore, Squamish, Whistler, and have never felt I can't throw it around or manhandle it if needd.

dvp8 wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback. Seems it's partly a discussion on changing riding style to be more centered on a bike rather than off the back. Not really sure what is better.

Couldn't agree more! 6'3" with long arms and the S5 feels amazing for me. To the earlier points of it feeling like a geo adjustment, I can definitely relate having been on an Evil Insurgent (crazy short reach by comparison) prior to the Enduro. Clipping in has definitely helped with my ability to ride with more weight forward than I was used to with the Evil/older DH bikes and still feel like I have the power in knees/hips to toss it around on trails.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 7:40 Quote
dvp8 wrote:
SIzing question: I'm 6'2 and between an S4 and S5. I'm not able to demo them but I've ridden both around a parking lot. I've never had a bike as big as an S5 but it feels like I can sit very centered on it. The S4 feels super nimble like you can whip it around and dive into turns.

Anyone owners with similar sizing have any input?

I’m the same height with 6,4” wing span and after the parking lot test I thought I wanted the S5. Ended up taking both out on demo to a local trail I love (steep, chunky, fast turns).

I hated the S5. It was just to long for me and I couldn’t maneuver it. Tried it in both geometry settings, ended up shortening the ride as it was just not fun.

S4 was instantly confidence inspiring, tied my PR on the trail second run. It now lives in my garage.I came from a 470mm reach bike and the 490mm feels plenty roomy.
YMMV

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 7:41 Quote
Looks like Claudio likes the new Enduro as well ????

https://www.facebook.com/293390774161835/posts/1657066644460901/?vh=e&extid=Fx7p0ZvqyklmE8sc

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 12:05 Quote
So I got to ride the Enduro Elite yesterday...man...what a bike...it was faster at most of the trail compared to the Slash 2019 I used to own. Although it feels heavier, it's way better climber for sure, specially out of the sadle. Things I don't like: wheels and hubs (i had the 108T Bontrager hub which I think it is a great hub), tires (I was running assegai/dhr2 combo) and brakes (Magura MT5 with short levers and individual brake pads). I'm not really sure about the damper (I had the RC2 but HSC was most of the time fully open). Brakes I miss the most though. Probably the Code R still need to bed in but I feel they have half the power of the Magura. Things I miss from the Slash: B-Rad Mount ( I used it to attached my googles to the frame) and also that for some reason I feel the Slash picked up speed faster. Might be that I'm not feeling it since the bike is longer and has a smoother ride. Other than that, really happy. S4 and 6.01".

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 19:21 Quote
Nice Pablo! The stock tires were the first to go on my bike too, didn't care for them compared to the combo I run like you.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 20:37 Quote
First thing I noticed about the Enduro... Heavy pig lol , especially the comp... Ramming the swat storage with supplies doesn't help either. Mines just under 38lbs Madder

PabloMoll wrote:
So I got to ride the Enduro Elite yesterday...man...what a bike...it was faster at most of the trail compared to the Slash 2019 I used to own. Although it feels heavier, it's way better climber for sure, specially out of the sadle. Things I don't like: wheels and hubs (i had the 108T Bontrager hub which I think it is a great hub), tires (I was running assegai/dhr2 combo) and brakes (Magura MT5 with short levers and individual brake pads). I'm not really sure about the damper (I had the RC2 but HSC was most of the time fully open). Brakes I miss the most though. Probably the Code R still need to bed in but I feel they have half the power of the Magura. Things I miss from the Slash: B-Rad Mount ( I used it to attached my googles to the frame) and also that for some reason I feel the Slash picked up speed faster. Might be that I'm not feeling it since the bike is longer and has a smoother ride. Other than that, really happy. S4 and 6.01".

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 8:10 Quote
What are people who switched to coil shocks using for spring weights? I'm 215lbs and am thinking switching to a Marz coil shock.

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 9:55 Quote
NMK187 wrote:
What are people who switched to coil shocks using for spring weights? I'm 215lbs and am thinking switching to a Marz coil shock.
im 185. 500lb spring.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 0:57 Quote
Anyone tried the mullet wheels?

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 9:22 Quote
Yeah not the lightest, my Elite S5 is 34lbs with nothing in the SWAT or the multi-tool.

First thing I noticed about the Enduro... Heavy pig lol , especially the comp... Ramming the swat storage with supplies doesn't help either. Mines just under 38lbs Madder

PabloMoll wrote:

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 9:52 Quote
I got the comp S5, Im 6'2. Reach feels totally fine. Wheelbase is long but really not bad.

Couple things from my first 3 rides on it:

Pros:
Handles the big hits and mistakes really well.
Brakes, x-fusion dropper and lyrick are great right now. Will likely look at switching to a coil in the new year.
SWAT box is super nice to have, still need to figure out how to get everything in there without rattling.

Cons:
NX derailleur doesn't have a clutch system, flapping around like crazy. Riding Whistler bike park was almost unbearable, will be looking to switch to GX
Head-set spring tool broke after 3 rides, going to look at making my own contraption with a small spring instead
Soft rims - already dented the rear rim with the tires filled up to 28. Didn't flat but can't imagine they will last long
Tires - Butcher tires are good in the dry conditions but don't have the same grip as Maxxis Maxgrip tires
Specialized handlebar has a strange shape and roll to it. Not a fan of it.

All in all, a pretty amazing bike. Happy with the purchase but will need to upgrade those parts.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007015
Mobile Version of Website