2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2023 at 10:29 Quote
hilldescentcontrol wrote:
Leven wrote:
I'm 5'10 and had a trek slash in M/L and had a S3 Enduro. On tight techy stuff is the one weakness of the bike because its just designed to be fast. I think you'll want the S3

Alright! How does the Trek and Specialized compare, which one are more nimble? My biggest issue with the Slash was getting enough weight over the front wheel, I had so many stupid washouts in races due to that.

I'd decibe the enduro as a DH bike that pedals uphill while the slash was more big trail bike. If you want to go as fast possible and have a bike that does it all enduro is the way to go but its such a good bike it makes anything but the roughest track boring. More or less depends what you want from a bike. If I was racing enduro is the way to go, if I only had one bike and choices where slash or enduro I'd take the slash.

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2023 at 11:21 Quote
Anyone know the actual BB heights in either/both high/low settings? I’m seeing mixed geos on the charts out there.

I’m currently running a mullet setup with the WRC yoke (in low setting, as suggested by WRC to maintain geo) but thinking about putting the stock yoke back on as an experiment with a much lower BB. Might even get even shorter cranks (down to 155 from 165) on my S4.

Anyone have any major reasons I shouldn’t do this? Or possibly what to expect?

Posted: Feb 4, 2023 at 11:30 Quote
Whatever you think about trying there will be someone who can tell you why it’s a bad idea. It’s the nature of people.
I say try it and report back.

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2023 at 10:01 Quote
funboi-parisi wrote:
Anyone know the actual BB heights in either/both high/low settings? I’m seeing mixed geos on the charts out there.

I’m currently running a mullet setup with the WRC yoke (in low setting, as suggested by WRC to maintain geo) but thinking about putting the stock yoke back on as an experiment with a much lower BB. Might even get even shorter cranks (down to 155 from 165) on my S4.

I'm curious how much length the WRP mullet yoke adds to compensate for the 27 wheel. Do you have a photo of the wrp link beside the stock one, or a measurement? I was wondering if the same effect could be achieved by running a slightly longer shock? My guess would be that the next increment in shock eye-to-eye would be greater that the yoke length difference.

Posted: Feb 5, 2023 at 10:20 Quote
kurt2 wrote:
funboi-parisi wrote:

I'm curious how much length the WRP mullet yoke adds to compensate for the 27 wheel. Do you have a photo of the wrp link beside the stock one, or a measurement? I was wondering if the same effect could be achieved by running a slightly longer shock? My guess would be that the next increment in shock eye-to-eye would be greater that the yoke length difference.
The next shock size would be 225x70/75. That would wildly affect the geometry.

I’d be curious about the WRP link in low compared to the standard link in the high setting.

Edit: the loam wolf has a side by side picture.
photo

Posted: Feb 5, 2023 at 10:55 Quote
Can the mullet link be run in both low and high settings?

Posted: Feb 5, 2023 at 11:24 Quote
Love a good mullet chat.

I've been running a 27.5 rear coming up a year now, here's my musings. Though now Ive finally got hold of a mullet link to lengthen everything up back to 'normal' and fitting it tonight which is very exciting.

I've been in great want of a link to return it to stock geo for the whole time, as it's very slack and and got to be quite cautious of pedals when in super techy terrain either up or down. With 165mm cranks havent tried shorter. Measured HA at around 62.5 degrees, thats only with a phone bubble level app though. BB i remember was the same as a new Demo i think when I last checked. Mostly fine and great fun though I've had to soften forks quite a lot to balance it out with the rear, which feels incredible. I can't help but think though although it's still rideable and still hitting everything on it and doing flat cross country rides on it also i reckon the frame designers would be laughing at my raked out front end and suspension balancing efforts. Loving the 27.5 rear though which is a whole other topic.

I've been running it in flip chip high to compensate slightly, and although haven't changed eye to eye length I longstroked my Ttx22m to 65mm in another attempt to aid it to sit up a little (whether that's a thing or not I don't know, but it also gives me more travel :-))
This may have also contributed to the need to balance with the front fork efforts as it's defo softer off the top than at 60mm stroke I think.

Anyway, this all kept me busy tinkering but now looking forward to handing myself back to the experts and trusting in some glorious stock geometry (albeit slightly modded still with a 27.5 rear and differwnt yoke!) May even go back to 60mm stroke at next service perhaps.
In short though it's fine and works.

Do what you want, your bike won't explode. 155mm cranks would be a good shout though to try.

@jaame The WRP link can be used in flip chip high from my previous research but as it's heaps longer may sit everything up so high that this may shove the lower links onto the chain stay bridge (the entrance to the Aladdins cave of wonders, where all sorts of things gather and refuse to be cleaned out)
So they advise running it in low.

Ben

Posted: Feb 5, 2023 at 11:39 Quote
Ben, raising your stroke to 65mm didn't change the geo of the bike, you'll have to change the eye2eye measurements to affect geo. Stock is 205mm, if you got a 210mm and put a 3mm offset bushings, you'd likely be close to what what you're looking to achieve. The problems that arise with long stroking (making eye2eye longer) is you physically change the geometry of the bike, the overall displaced position of the rocker link, which would cause clearance issues, progression changes, etc.

Posted: Feb 5, 2023 at 12:01 Quote
I hear what you're saying about offset bushings from a 210mm eye to eye to achieve the same effect, though this is trunnion on the top end and already got an offset bushing (flip chip through shock eye) at the lower end, so offset bushings don't work for this.

The long stroke was a small effort during a shock service, whilst I new the WRP link was out of reach for a while, I know it's not a replacement to changing the overall eye to eye length. However I do think it changes the leverage/progression which I thought may help even ever so slightly with just slotting a 27.5 rear in and hoping for the best; was the train of thought.

Don't follow you on the other part dude sorry, are you saying a long stroke does change the geo of the bike or it doesn't change the geo of the bike?

Posted: Feb 5, 2023 at 12:46 Quote
My initial musing about the mullet link was that I couldn't see how it could work in high, as the chainstay is already almost touching the cave of wonders as you say.
And if it only.works in low, what's the point? One could save the money and hassle and just run it 27.5 in high. On a side note, one could do that with the 2020 Capra I had - high with 27.5 was the same as low with 29. Very convenient.

Posted: Feb 5, 2023 at 14:13 Quote
@jaame
Yeah it would be too close/not even get there with the shock eye in high.
Running the flip chip in high with a 27.5 wheel isnt the same as running a longer extension link im afraid, on the Enduro anyway. The flip chip is basically just an offset bushing buying you like 2/3mm difference.
I guess on the Capra the flip chip may make a larger change, I dont know what set up that is but yeah a year after lobbing the smaller wheel in the back there has been barely any difference with running it in high, it just minimises the massive change from a 29 wheel slightly. But barely.

Just fitted the longer extension link and it looks noticeably less crazy slack with the bike just stationary, bar position looks better and my phone app is saying HA at 63.6degrees now, much more managable!

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2023 at 15:18 Quote
Anyone else looking for ways to get a lower BB, though?

Posted: Feb 5, 2023 at 17:09 Quote
I have a brand new WRP mullet link in the limited black color I just received with the neutral bushings from him also so you can run it between the high/low setting that I'll be selling since I had to warranty the frame. Also I listed for sale the S-Works carbon links and stays if anyone cracked theirs.

Posted: Feb 6, 2023 at 8:40 Quote
Eviljarv wrote:
I have a brand new WRP mullet link in the limited black color I just received with the neutral bushings from him also so you can run it between the high/low setting that I'll be selling since I had to warranty the frame. Also I listed for sale the S-Works carbon links and stays if anyone cracked theirs.

Ah nice mate didn't realise that was an option, could you put up a couple pics or link to the sale listing? Are the bushings where the lower link axle goes or the bolt for the shock eye? Sounds like a great middle of the road solution

Posted: Feb 6, 2023 at 9:26 Quote
benjiancillotti wrote:
Eviljarv wrote:

Ah nice mate didn't realise that was an option, could you put up a couple pics or link to the sale listing? Are the bushings where the lower link axle goes or the bolt for the shock eye? Sounds like a great middle of the road solution

Here is a picture of the bushings he makes.
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.163574
Mobile Version of Website