2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 10:14 Quote
dvp8 wrote:
I got the comp S5, Im 6'2. Reach feels totally fine. Wheelbase is long but really not bad.

Couple things from my first 3 rides on it:

Pros:
Handles the big hits and mistakes really well.
Brakes, x-fusion dropper and lyrick are great right now. Will likely look at switching to a coil in the new year.
SWAT box is super nice to have, still need to figure out how to get everything in there without rattling.

Cons:
NX derailleur doesn't have a clutch system, flapping around like crazy. Riding Whistler bike park was almost unbearable, will be looking to switch to GX
Head-set spring tool broke after 3 rides, going to look at making my own contraption with a small spring instead
Soft rims - already dented the rear rim with the tires filled up to 28. Didn't flat but can't imagine they will last long
Tires - Butcher tires are good in the dry conditions but don't have the same grip as Maxxis Maxgrip tires
Specialized handlebar has a strange shape and roll to it. Not a fan of it.

All in all, a pretty amazing bike. Happy with the purchase but will need to upgrade those parts.

I'm on my third ride and I still can't like the tires. I mean, I think they would do well in soft or loamy condition. Side knobs are huge. Bigger compared to any Maxxis. The gap between the knobs is bigger compared with a DHR2 and Assegai. For me they don't work good in loose over hard. I think the compound should be softer. I can feel the tires loosing traction a little bit riding at the same speed I used to do. Not the most confident for me.

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 10:34 Quote
PabloMoll wrote:
dvp8 wrote:
I got the comp S5, Im 6'2. Reach feels totally fine. Wheelbase is long but really not bad.

Pros:
Brakes, x-fusion dropper and lyrick are great right now. Will likely look at switching to a coil in the new year.
SWAT box is super nice to have, still need to figure out how to get everything in there without rattling.

Cons:
NX derailleur doesn't have a clutch system, flapping around like crazy. Riding Whistler bike park was almost unbearable, will be looking to switch to GX
Head-set spring tool broke after 3 rides, going to look at making my own contraption with a small spring instead
Soft rims - already dented the rear rim with the tires filled up to 28. Didn't flat but can't imagine they will last long
Tires - Butcher tires are good in the dry conditions but don't have the same grip as Maxxis Maxgrip tires

All in all, a pretty amazing bike. Happy with the purchase but will need to upgrade those parts.

I'm on my third ride and I still can't like the tires. I mean, I think they would do well in soft or loamy condition. Side knobs are huge. Bigger compared to any Maxxis. The gap between the knobs is bigger compared with a DHR2 and Assegai. For me they don't work good in loose over hard. I think the compound should be softer. I can feel the tires loosing traction a little bit riding at the same speed I used to do. Not the most confident for me.

I agree, I felt the same, it's a hard compound. On the positive side it will last longer.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 10:46 Quote
Hello y'all.
The Specialized Enduro has made its way onto my list of frames for the bike build I'm planning but I'm a bit confused on sizing. At 5'10, I fall right in the middle of the S3 and S4 sizes. However, my current bike, which is a size large, has a reach of 445. With reaches of 464 and 487 respectively for S3 and S4, both would be considerably larger than my current frame. Anyone have any experience on the S3s or S4s that can provide some insight to how these things really fit? I'm a pretty aggressive rider but I don't want to feel super stretched out with a long top-tube.
Cheers

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 10:58 Quote
dvp8 wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

I made upgrade NX to GX, changed Butchers for Minions DHF/DHR 2,6 maxterra, CODEs for Magura MT5, handlebar for Renthal fatbar, grips.
Next on a list is rear shock and rear hub after that ill buy 2022 S-work version :-).
Its pretty much never ending spending...????????????????????

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 11:54 Quote
5'11 here and I'm on s3 (just perfect for me). Demo'd an s4 and it felt gigantic...

jmartinbiking wrote:
Hello y'all.
The Specialized Enduro has made its way onto my list of frames for the bike build I'm planning but I'm a bit confused on sizing. At 5'10, I fall right in the middle of the S3 and S4 sizes. However, my current bike, which is a size large, has a reach of 445. With reaches of 464 and 487 respectively for S3 and S4, both would be considerably larger than my current frame. Anyone have any experience on the S3s or S4s that can provide some insight to how these things really fit? I'm a pretty aggressive rider but I don't want to feel super stretched out with a long top-tube.
Cheers

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 12:24 Quote
spendtimebehindbars wrote:
5'11 here and I'm on s3 (just perfect for me). Demo'd an s4 and it felt gigantic...

jmartinbiking wrote:
Hello y'all.
Cheers

I'm 6'0 and have the S4. I wouldn't ever go back to a smaller bike.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 12:27 Quote
UncleSpec wrote:
dvp8 wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

I made upgrade NX to GX, changed Butchers for Minions DHF/DHR 2,6 maxterra, CODEs for Magura MT5, handlebar for Renthal fatbar, grips.
Next on a list is rear shock and rear hub after that ill buy 2022 S-work version :-).
Its pretty much never ending spending...????????????????????

How is the ride with the DHF maxxterra? I also ordered one just because they didn't have the Assegai...

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 12:28 Quote

jmartinbiking wrote:
Hello y'all.
Cheers

How long of a stem + wide of bars are you running?
Cheers

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 13:15 Quote
NMK187 wrote:

jmartinbiking wrote:
Hello y'all.
Cheers

I’m 5-10 and the S4 is perfect for me. I have been riding the longer reach bikes for the last couple years and prefer them over a shorter reach, which I would say is in the 450-460 range.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 13:20 Quote
endoguru wrote:
NMK187 wrote:

I’m 5-10 and the S4 is perfect for me. I have been riding the longer reach bikes for the last couple years and prefer them over a shorter reach, which I would say is in the 450-460 range.

cheers bro, i'm leaning towards the S4 and I think i'll go for that. easier to throw a short stem to bring it in closer and not mess up the balance than to put a long stem and feel weirdly stretched out on an S3
thanks

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 13:38 Quote
50mm stem, 780mm bars

jmartinbiking wrote:

jmartinbiking wrote:
Hello y'all.
Cheers

Cheers

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 17:45 Quote
50mm stem, 780mm bars

jmartinbiking wrote:

Cheers

I've switched to a 35mm stem, 800mm bars on my S4 Comp. I like how it handles with the shorter stem. I found it floppy before switching.

Upgrades include:
Charger 2 damper
WAO Union Wheels
Rimpact Pro inserts
Assegai front, DHRII/Minion SS/Wild Enduro rear
XT 4-piston brakes (203mm Ice Tech F/R rotors)
One Up 180mm Dropper
One Up oval switch ring
GX derailleur and cassette
X01 chain
Nukeproof Neutron 35mm stem
RF Atlas bars 800mm
Ride Wrapped the frame

When I first bought it, it felt outrageously large and heavy while pushing it around the garage, but as soon as I got it on the trails, it felt perfect. I came from a 2015 Norco Range with a 435mm reach so this was a huge jump up in size. I love it.
Have been mostly riding it in the high setting for trail riding, and low setting for park days and shuttles. Thinking of getting a coil shock for park, shuttle, and DH days next year (or should I get the MegNeg?)
The SWAT box is incredible. I fit a Tubolito tube, pump, tire lever, tire boot, a few first aid supplies, tire plugs, quick link, zip ties, tape, energy bars, my full-face's cheek pads while I climb, and still have tons of room for extra stuff. All SWAT box users should get the Tubolito tube. It saves SOOO much space and a huge amount of weight. Worth the money 100%.
I love how it climbs on technical single track climbs, but it does feel a bit sluggish on fire roads, though the carbon wheels helped a bunch with that. Have been dealing with the creaking noise that seems to plague most of us, and even after cleaning, greasing and re-torqueing the main pivot hasn't completely gotten rid of it. I notice the longer wheelbase and 29 inch wheels going over drops, but it handles high speed corners, fast and rough stuff, and anything steep or loose, like a demon.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 18:40 Quote
NMK187 wrote:
50mm stem, 780mm bars

jmartinbiking wrote:

Cheers

I've switched to a 35mm stem, 800mm bars on my S4 Comp. I like how it handles with the shorter stem. I found it floppy before switching.

Upgrades include:
Charger 2 damper
WAO Union Wheels
Rimpact Pro inserts
One Up 180mm Dropper
One Up oval switch ring
X01 chain
RF Atlas bars 800mm
Ride Wrapped the frame

When I first bought it, it felt outrageously large and heavy while pushing it around the garage, but as soon as I got it on the trails, it felt perfect. I came from a 2015 Norco Range with a 435mm reach so this was a huge jump up in size. I love it.
Have been mostly riding it in the high setting for trail riding, and low setting for park days and shuttles. Thinking of getting a coil shock for park, shuttle, and DH days next year (or should I get the MegNeg?)
The SWAT box is incredible. I fit a Tubolito tube, pump, tire lever, tire boot, a few first aid supplies, tire plugs, quick link, zip ties, tape, energy bars, my full-face's cheek pads while I climb, and still have tons of room for extra stuff. All SWAT box users should get the Tubolito tube. It saves SOOO much space and a huge amount of weight. Worth the money 100%.
I love how it climbs on technical single track climbs, but it does feel a bit sluggish on fire roads, though the carbon wheels helped a bunch with that. Have been dealing with the creaking noise that seems to plague most of us, and even after cleaning, greasing and re-torqueing the main pivot hasn't completely gotten rid of it. I notice the longer wheelbase and 29 inch wheels going over drops, but it handles high speed corners, fast and rough stuff, and anything steep or loose, like a demon.
Thanks for all the input. Definitely helped solidify my choice for the S4. I'm planning on getting some LightBicycle wheels for the build so that should keep the weight down a bit. Cheers

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 20:44 Quote
jmartinbiking wrote:
NMK187 wrote:
50mm stem, 780mm bars

Upgrades include:
Charger 2 damper
WAO Union Wheels
Rimpact Pro inserts
One Up 180mm Dropper
One Up oval switch ring
X01 chain
RF Atlas bars 800mm
Ride Wrapped the frame

Thanks for all the input. Definitely helped solidify my choice for the S4. I'm planning on getting some LightBicycle wheels for the build so that should keep the weight down a bit. Cheers
Nice, I found my carbon wheels felt much harsher than alu hoops. The inserts that dampen that are a must imo.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 20:48 Quote
Look at the evolution of carbon rims - aluminum, too, for that matter - and you'll see a trend toward lower cross-sectional height. The Bouwmeester Tammar and Zipp 3Zero Moto designs are the most extreme, but they're all headed that direction to reduce harshness. Try to avoid old-school, "tall" profiles.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011566
Mobile Version of Website