2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 16:12 Quote
Do you mind me asking what dropper post you chose to go with?

endoguru wrote:
NMK187 wrote:
spendtimebehindbars wrote:
5'11 here and I'm on s3 (just perfect for me). Demo'd an s4 and it felt gigantic...

I'm 6'0 and have the S4. I wouldn't ever go back to a smaller bike.

I’m 5-10 and the S4 is perfect for me. I have been riding the longer reach bikes for the last couple years and prefer them over a shorter reach, which I would say is in the 450-460 range.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 16:57 Quote
Funny, I came back from Seattle during labor day weekend and picked an S4 frame after a lot of research. I'm 5'11 (slightly longer arms). I'm going with a 35mm and cutting the bars to 180. I'm waiting for my components. I hope I chose the right dropper: Fox 175. I can't tell if fully extended will be too high.

jmartinbiking wrote:
NMK187 wrote:
spendtimebehindbars wrote:
50mm stem, 780mm bars

I've switched to a 35mm stem, 800mm bars on my S4 Comp. I like how it handles with the shorter stem. I found it floppy before switching.

Upgrades include:
Charger 2 damper
WAO Union Wheels
Rimpact Pro inserts
Assegai front, DHRII/Minion SS/Wild Enduro rear
XT 4-piston brakes (203mm Ice Tech F/R rotors)
One Up 180mm Dropper
One Up oval switch ring
GX derailleur and cassette
X01 chain
Nukeproof Neutron 35mm stem
RF Atlas bars 800mm
Ride Wrapped the frame

When I first bought it, it felt outrageously large and heavy while pushing it around the garage, but as soon as I got it on the trails, it felt perfect. I came from a 2015 Norco Range with a 435mm reach so this was a huge jump up in size. I love it.
Have been mostly riding it in the high setting for trail riding, and low setting for park days and shuttles. Thinking of getting a coil shock for park, shuttle, and DH days next year (or should I get the MegNeg?)
The SWAT box is incredible. I fit a Tubolito tube, pump, tire lever, tire boot, a few first aid supplies, tire plugs, quick link, zip ties, tape, energy bars, my full-face's cheek pads while I climb, and still have tons of room for extra stuff. All SWAT box users should get the Tubolito tube. It saves SOOO much space and a huge amount of weight. Worth the money 100%.
I love how it climbs on technical single track climbs, but it does feel a bit sluggish on fire roads, though the carbon wheels helped a bunch with that. Have been dealing with the creaking noise that seems to plague most of us, and even after cleaning, greasing and re-torqueing the main pivot hasn't completely gotten rid of it. I notice the longer wheelbase and 29 inch wheels going over drops, but it handles high speed corners, fast and rough stuff, and anything steep or loose, like a demon.
Thanks for all the input. Definitely helped solidify my choice for the S4. I'm planning on getting some LightBicycle wheels for the build so that should keep the weight down a bit. Cheers

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 10:44 Quote
Ive got an s4 in order from fanatik.
Been wondering if this bike is rated for a triple(dh fork)? Almost doesnt make sense to buy a Long travel bike that isnt now days...capra/wrecker and others...
Im coming from a 19 jeffsy.
I imagine ill eventually want another bike in the 120-140 range as the enduro will be a bit much for xc stuff too.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 11:01 Quote
It is certified to accept a DH fork.

jrocksdh wrote:
Been wondering if this bike is rated for a triple(dh fork)? Almost doesnt make sense to buy a Long travel bike that isnt now days...capra/wrecker and others...
I imagine ill eventually want another bike in the 120-140 range as the enduro will be a bit much for xc stuff too.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 12:30 Quote
I did the math for the prices of the bike whole vs. adding up the individual components cost's.
Why is the expert 2021 1000$ over priced?

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 13:35 Quote
mjlee2003 wrote:
I did the math for the prices of the bike whole vs. adding up the individual components cost's.

Ya ive seen that discussed before.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 13:52 Quote
mjlee2003 wrote:

Your spreadsheet has restricted access.

Does the Expert get the high-spec carbon lay-up and carbon links, or are those only for the S-Works? Specialized charges a huge premium for these changes.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 16:17 Quote
ghostcat wrote:
This pivot is definitely the source of any creaking I have experienced on this bike.. Can creak even if it is lubed , but needs more lube to stop creek.. I end up pulling it apart about once every two months in dry conditions. Time will tell if I will have to increase that interval in the winter
Once you have that small wedge bolt out, the other side should un thread. You may need to give it a bit of a push by threading the wedge bolt back in a bit and pushing it, or it may need a tap with a soft hammer.. Should just pop right out

I tried threading the 4mm in a bit and hitting it from the other side with a small Allen hey pushed up against the 4mm but no luck. Is this what you mean ? I can’t get the damn thing free at all it’s completely wedged into the main axle[/Quote]

Weird.. is the big nut on the non-drive side removed? You need to undo that too, Then the pivot shaft should push out toward the non-drive side

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 16:27 Quote
Weird.. is the big nut on the non-drive side removed? You need to undo that too, Then the pivot shaft should push out toward the non-drive side[/Quote]

I ended up getting it out with a tiny allen key and popped it out on the drive side.
regreased the pivots and main pivot axle and that creaking/cracking sound magically disappeared. the bike feels a lot smoother too, i reread some of the older posts and it seems like others have had this same problem with the main axle getting a cracking sound under load.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 16:34 Quote
ghostcat wrote:
Weird.. is the big nut on the non-drive side removed? You need to undo that too, Then the pivot shaft should push out toward the non-drive side

I ended up getting it out with a tiny allen key and popped it out on the drive side.
regreased the pivots and main pivot axle and that creaking/cracking sound magically disappeared. the bike feels a lot smoother too, i reread some of the older posts and it seems like others have had this same problem with the main axle getting a cracking sound under load.[/Quote]

Yup, that sucker pops and creaks like crazy!! Luckily now it will start with a bit of noise when you stand up to pedal, and you will know its time to pull it out and grease it. Should be much easier now that you broke it loose

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 20:30 Quote
Yup, that sucker pops and creaks like crazy!! Luckily now it will start with a bit of noise when you stand up to pedal, and you will know its time to pull it out and grease it. Should be much easier now that you broke it loose[/Quote]

Yeah exactly I put a good amount of grease on that little wedge protector so I’m thinking it’ll pop out easier next time or even stick to that 4mm bolt.

I was pullin off my bb, cranks, and greasing all the other pivots to realize it’s that damn main axle causing all the creaks.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 0:19 Quote
carlostrancex2 wrote:

jrocksdh wrote:

Where did you find that info? I’m dying to put a dual crown on mine but can’t find any official info on the subject from spec.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 0:34 Quote
Anyone here using the Fox X2 rear shock? I have a couple of questions

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 5:48 Quote
Blownoutrides wrote:
carlostrancex2 wrote:

jrocksdh wrote:

Where did you find that info? I’m dying to put a dual crown on mine but can’t find any official info on the subject from spec.

Manual says max travel fork 170mm. Just in case you are willing to try something different.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 6:01 Quote
I apologize, I was mistaken. The reference was about the 180 fork...

Blownoutrides wrote:
carlostrancex2 wrote:

jrocksdh wrote:

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009536
Mobile Version of Website