2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
Posted: Mar 16, 2020 at 4:03 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
When a linkage rate is not constant - ex. a progressive linkage - the ratio of shock movement to wheel travel is not constant. For example, the first 10 mm of wheel travel could move the shock 2 mm and the last 10 mm of wheel travel could move the shock 5 mm. This is exaggerated, but it gives the correct idea.

I don't think RockShox prints custom markings for their customers, even ones as large as Specialized. Or maybe they do - they certainly didn't offer to do it for anyone I've worked for, but they've all been a lot smaller than Specialized! Anyway, I recommend you measure the sag with a ruler or calipers and use a measurement that's customized for your bike, like what we discussed. 16 mm is about 30% on your Enduro. That's about 27% on the shock's markings, if the markings are not customized for the bike.

It's definitely not a bad thing to use full travel occasionally! Not too often, but you should definitely use full travel when you take a big hit. In motocross, people often recommend twice per lap, so maybe we can say twice per descent - assuming it was an intense descent.

Thank you very much for explaining and interesting info ! I will check if 16 mm on shock corespond with sag markings, will try setup my sag to 16mm, but I think I might be close right know.

I just did some natural steeper ride with some gradual big compresion (most of it soak up fork anyway) few natural gaps with steep landings, in general steep descent and I checked o ring position at the end and for my suprise there was good 5-7 mm left on shock stroke. I think I will do 5 psi less and settle at 155 as my base setting. I will check how much sag I have at that pressure but I think it could be close to that 16mm. I´m worried too much about using full travel I guess haha. Thanks again for info you provided Smile

EDIT: I just measured that 16mm and you were right, 30% mark is around 18mm, so I let 5 psi out and will test it tomorrow how it feels.

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 at 13:53 Quote
Great! It sounds like you're on the right track and things aren't as weird as we thought!

Instead of lowering the pressure, try removing some volume reducers. Or do both. You probably don't need a shock loaded with reducers on a highly progressive bike, as this will make the bike soft for most of the travel, then so firm at the end that you'll never quite get full travel.

Something we didn't discuss before: when riding downhill, your weight naturally shifts forward. This means less force on the rear on steep descents than on flat ground, so it doesn't have to be as firm as you might think.

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 at 4:49 Quote
So I just did ride today and end up dropping pressure to 153 which feels real good, its super planted yet supportive enough to pump it and jump over things. Happy how it rides. I also made some changes to fork, went from 77psi with two tokens to 82 psi and zero tokens, so fork stays nice up in travel.

Posted: Mar 20, 2020 at 8:47 Quote
I got my enduro back at the end of September, S5 Expert. Have had some trouble getting it set up too, but feel like I'm getting closer.

I had different feeling than you, and I suspect its due to not running enough pressure in the back. It climbs better than any bike I've owned in years, I came from a Commencal Meta AM 4.2 and first rides on this bike I could clear sections I never could on my old bike.

Couple bike park days, lots of trail rides in North Vancouver, thing just plows over everything and sucks up all the big hits.

Also felt like pedal strikes were REALLY common, multiple times per ride. Also smashed my chainring good a couple times. Yesterday just re-measured sag and adjusted pressure. Am running 290 PSI (I weigh around 215lbs) now to get the right sag according to 25% from Fox. Will ride later today to test it out.

Never got the front end set up right at first as I didn't cycle the air between the chambers well enough so it was behaving really bizarrely, but seems to be ok now after re-pressurizing it and cycling through the travel.

Posted: Mar 20, 2020 at 10:29 Quote
Dont know about fox recomendation pressures and settings. But rockshox are waaaaay of. So you might setup your suspension acroding to you liking, I would avoid recommended settings and pressure chart and go just by feel.

Posted: Mar 20, 2020 at 16:31 Quote
What are everyones thoughts on sizing? I am 6'1 with a relatively long torso and after demo'ing am torn between the S4 and S5. S5 seems doable, but perhaps the length will be a relative disadvantage in more situations than the lack of length may be with the S4. In other words, while the S5 may be tempting as bikes continue to get longer, the S4 may in fact be enough bike. Curious to hear others experience with this. Thanks.

Posted: Mar 20, 2020 at 17:44 Quote
ehack wrote:
What are everyones thoughts on sizing? I am 6'1 with a relatively long torso and after demo'ing am torn between the S4 and S5. S5 seems doable, but perhaps the length will be a relative disadvantage in more situations than the lack of length may be with the S4. In other words, while the S5 may be tempting as bikes continue to get longer, the S4 may in fact be enough bike. Curious to hear others experience with this. Thanks.

The S5 Enduro is a properly big bike. At your height and with a long torso, it's not unreasonable. Might be at the upper limit of how large you want to go, but it's not crazy. Expect to slam the saddle forward and/or use a very short stem.

With the slack head angle, the front wheel is going to be a long way in front of you. If you want a real bobsled of a bike, this fits the bill.

My own experience with a similar bike, albeit a bit shorter and not quite as slack, is that it changed which trails are fun. I used to be able to enjoy blue rated flow trails if I sprinted and pumped like it was a BMX race. Now these trails are a bit dull: the bike is just too stable for them to be exciting. But what I lost, I gained back several times over as fast and rowdy trails became far more controlled. Trails and speeds that used to be at the upper end of my comfort zone are now controlled and immensely fun. A bit like going from a dune buggy to a trophy truck. The former is fun on every trail and the latter is really fun on many trails.

The difference between the same bike in different sizes won't be as pronounced as going from a traditional bike to a progressive one, so this is just an illustration of what lies at the end of the path you're going down. It depends on your trails, what you're looking to gain, and what you're willing to give up.

Posted: Mar 21, 2020 at 18:03 Quote
I set mine up with a little less sag. Don't get too hung up on it needing to be 30%. 20-25% works great, and still feels plenty plush and extends nicely into those holes. No issues with traction and at that pressure, couldn't bottom it easily. The bike in general does climb like a beast. I came off a Slash and it's night and day a better climber. I also noticed that the air calculator on Speshes website was off by a huge margin. I needed 25psi higher than recommended to hit 30%, or even get close to it. Even at a lower sag setting the initial suppleness is outstanding. I can wait to dig into the setup more.

In the long run, if I find I need to run it at 30% and find it bottoms more than it should. I'll be looking towards the Meg Neg. Since I don't have a compression adjustment other then the Select + lockout.

Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 11:09 Quote
I am 6'3.5" and have a 79" armspan, so long arms. I suspect my legs are long too? I have the S5, and it feels perfect sized. I wouldn't mind upgrading to a 200+mm dropper post from the 170, but aside from that it's great. I also have a Renthal bar with a higher rise than stock and run my stem with 3 of 4 spacers underneath. In case that helps...

ehack wrote:

Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 11:11 Quote
Thanks, what is the megneg?

Rode the bike with 290psi, was good, felt firmer for sure, felt like I was closer to getting bucked on some rollers, so might back off another 5psi or so and try that, but did feel like I was higher off the ground climbing which is nice, way less pedal strikes.

mitchbike wrote:
I set mine up with a little less sag. Don't get too hung up on it needing to be 30%. 20-25% works great, and still feels plenty plush and extends nicely into those holes. No issues with traction and at that pressure, couldn't bottom it easily. The bike in general does climb like a beast. I came off a Slash and it's night and day a better climber. I also noticed that the air calculator on Speshes website was off by a huge margin. I needed 25psi higher than recommended to hit 30%, or even get close to it. Even at a lower sag setting the initial suppleness is outstanding. I can wait to dig into the setup more.

In the long run, if I find I need to run it at 30% and find it bottoms more than it should. I'll be looking towards the Meg Neg. Since I don't have a compression adjustment other then the Select + lockout.

Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 11:16 Quote
cjarrett wrote:

An alternate air spring available for RockShox shocks with a very large negative spring.

Here's a thread discussing it.

Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 18:51 Quote
cjarrett wrote:

Rode the bike with 290psi, was good, felt firmer for sure, felt like I was closer to getting bucked on some rollers, so might back off another 5psi or so and try that, but did feel like I was higher off the ground climbing which is nice, way less pedal strikes.

Rather than lower pressures. Maybe just close the rebound flow slightly to compensate for the added pressure.

Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 10:43 Quote
I'm running rebound at FULL slow, which is where I think I might need a custom tune.

mitchbike wrote:
cjarrett wrote:

Rather than lower pressures. Maybe just close the rebound flow slightly to compensate for the added pressure.

Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 14:11 Quote
cjarrett wrote:
I'm running rebound at FULL slow, which is where I think I might need a custom tune.

mitchbike wrote:
cjarrett wrote:

Right sorry didn't realize the rebound was maxed. Two comments about that, 1 new shocks sometimes aren't assembled properly (read, proper volumes of oil). Could be there's not enough oil, or some air in it. Could be worth servicing it. 2.You're correct and Specialized's custom RX tune is too light for your weight etc.

Active Forum Threads
0 mins ago - Sram brake lever return spring
4 mins ago - Wheelset help -- DT Swiss EX1700 vs Industry Nine Enduro S
6 mins ago - The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
11 mins ago - 100 (or more) days of biking in 2022!
13 mins ago - Steel is Real (Steel Bikes Only Thread).
21 mins ago - Transition Sentinel
25 mins ago - Psychic love spells Beaumont, TX +1 (845) 295 3081 Get Ex-lover Back
28 mins ago - Buy a 2018 Mach 429 in 2022?
28 mins ago - Psychic love spells Sugar Land, TX +1 (845) 295 3081 Get Ex-lover Back
32 mins ago - Show off your Devinci's!
37 mins ago - When to replace sealant?
37 mins ago - ColoRADo DH riders
38 mins ago - Trek session owners club
38 mins ago - Psychic love spells Abilene, TX +1 (845) 295 3081 Get Ex-lover Back
42 mins ago - Psychic love spells Round Rock, TX +1 (845) 295 3081 Get Ex-lover Back
53 mins ago - Carrollton, TX Psychic love spells +1 (845) 295 3081 Get Ex-lover Back
1 hours ago - Denton, TX Psychic love spells (929) 335 6292 Get Ex-lover Back
1 hours ago - Midland, TX Psychic love spells (929) 335 6292 Get Ex-lover Back
1 hours ago - Mondraker Owners Thread
1 hours ago - Mesquite city , TX Psychic love spells (929) 335 6292 Get Ex-lover Back
1 hours ago - Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
2 hours ago - McKinney, TX Psychic love spells (929) 335 6292 Get Ex-lover Back
2 hours ago - Scott Gambler OWNERS
2 hours ago - Sexiest Ebike Thread. Please no posting of your own bikes. Discussion is welcome!
2 hours ago - Psychic Love Spells Grand Prairie, TX (929) 335 6292 Get Ex-Lover Back

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006631
Mobile Version of Website