2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 1:08 Quote
That mullet link is interesting, Im planing to do it in offseason, but it will cost me bottle of vodka instead of 270 dollars Big Grin

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 8:51 Quote
Yes - 205x65

Daaanyy wrote:
spendtimebehindbars wrote:
My setup right now... Haven't noticed any difference in pedaling from stock.

cjarrett wrote:
180mm fox 38 + 180 out back might not be bad if it still pedals as well as it currently does

Have you used a shock with longer stroke for 180mm rear?

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 11:01 Quote
Responsiveness is absolutely important, but I imagine a 5% increase in travel would have minimal impact on that, and responsiveness is as much a characteristic of the tune as it is the suspension kinematics (of which I already love on the Enduro)

Stability - same here, I guess what I personally am referring to is the Enduro itself gaining 10mm more the way spendtimebehindbars has done it wouldn't change its characteristics for the majority of riding but with that being said, would I want to jump to another bike with 180mm of rear travel but different characteristics? Might not...

Though the Propain Spindrift looks pretty nice, Megatower with a longer shock and Cascade link would be up there, but I already chose the Enduro over the Mega because of the differences in how the suspension behaves (well, based on how its described in all of the reviews I've read)

R-M-R wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

Would you say pedaling performance the primary criterion by which you determine your optimal travel?

How do you feel about properties such as:

• Responsiveness: More travel requires more time and energy to change direction, hop/pop/unweight, and pump the terrain.
• Attitude stability: More travel produces more brake dive and squat, such as when braking, nosing into a high-g transition, or climbing a steep slope (even if it doesn't bob, there's no way to avoid weight transfer).

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 15:07 Quote
cjarrett wrote:
a 5% increase in travel would have minimal impact on that

The change in responsiveness would be no less than the change in impact management, but people seem pretty keen on getting that 5% more travel!

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 14:25 Quote
Looking at picking up a 2021 comp S3 and stripping it of the NX parts (love the all-black frame), then building up with X01/XX1 drivetrain, carbon bars/wheels, etc. Silly to think that I can get this down to about 31-32lbs?

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 15:26 Quote
cbrady wrote:
Looking at picking up a 2021 comp S3 and stripping it of the NX parts (love the all-black frame), then building up with X01/XX1 drivetrain, carbon bars/wheels, etc. Silly to think that I can get this down to about 31-32lbs?

I don't think they've released 2021 yet btw

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 15:53 Quote
cbrady wrote:

32 lbs should be doable if everything's carbon. Personally, I think priority upgrades on the comp are the brakes and the fork damper. Then wheels and drivetrain.
I noticed a much bigger difference after upgrading the fork damper and brakes than going to carbon wheels and upgrading my drivetrain. Mind you, I went to GX, not XO1/XX1.

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 15:55 Quote
cbrady wrote:

I know they're a UK shop, but have a look at Brink Cycleworks and their 'Ohlins Edition' Enduro, its a tasty bit of kit!

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 16:08 Quote
NMK187 wrote:
cbrady wrote:

32 lbs should be doable if everything's carbon. Personally, I think priority upgrades on the comp are the brakes and the fork damper. Then wheels and drivetrain.
I noticed a much bigger difference after upgrading the fork damper and brakes than going to carbon wheels and upgrading my drivetrain. Mind you, I went to GX, not XO1/XX1.

Yep.

I didn't want to reinforce my reputation as some grumpy guy who always tells people to stop upgrading to sexy carbon and spend money on suspension, so I'm glad someone did it for me!

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 16:30 Quote
Its definitely worth throwing in the 2021DebonAir air spring on the front and a MegNeg in the rear. As far as bang for your buck, these two upgrades are pretty cheap, you can easily install them yourself, and they really do make the suspension more plush at the start of the stroke and more supportive mid stroke...
Pretty hard to get upgrades that really make a noticeable improvement for that little money these days

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 16:45 Quote
Exactly! Return on investment should be the metric for everything - bikes, business, and life in general!

If we compare, for example, a GX crank vs. XX1 crank, what does the XX1 actually do that the GX1 doesn't do? "But it's carbon!" someone, somewhere, is saying. Yes ... and? XX1 saves slightly over 100 g at the least beneficial location for about US$400 (MSRP). $4/g at the least beneficial location. And what does 1/4 lb get you? Less than 0.1 % faster ascending and acceleration - that's well under 2 seconds faster up a half-hour climb for the best part of half a grand. Substitute other components into this comparison and you'll be lucky to get a much higher ROI when cutting weight on the sprung part of the bike.

Wheels offer a little higher ROI due to unsprung mass and, if at the perimeter of the wheel, rotational inertia. Still a lot of money for modest returns, though.

Spring and damper upgrades can offer significant improvements in comfort and control - leading to increases in speed and endurance. Some upgrades are cheap and some aren't, but when we're comparing to overhauling one's bike with carbon bits, even posh suspension upgrades are in the same ballpark.

Another upgrade worth considering is tires, whether better or just fresher. Put that half-dead front tire on the rear and get a fresh one for the front! A fresh front tire makes a lot more difference than a carbon handlebar or oil-slick cassette.

Finally, give some thought to comfort. If you don't absolutely love your saddle, grips, and clothing, treat yourself to something nice. The good news is that cheap, steel-railed saddles can be just as comfortable as $200+ carbon saddles and push-on grips are almost always more comfortable than the lock-on equivalents.

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 16:53 Quote
Right on. Essentially would be swapping parts from my current enduro to this one (2017).

NMK187 wrote:
cbrady wrote:

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 18:13 Quote
cbrady wrote:
Essentially would be swapping parts from my current enduro to this one (2017).

That makes more sense. Might as well swap in the posh, used items and sell the mid-level ones in new condition. Do consider the suspension upgrades, though.

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 19:06 Quote
1. Tires. 2. Coil rear 3. Not a fan of the 6deg upsweep handlebars that came with it. 4.The NX is indeed crunchy but I’ll run that this season. 5. Forks. 6. Saints. In that order imo.
R-M-R wrote:
NMK187 wrote:
cbrady wrote:

Yep.

I didn't want to reinforce my reputation as some grumpy guy who always tells people to stop upgrading to sexy carbon and spend money on suspension, so I'm glad someone did it for me!

Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 15:27 Quote
greenieboygreen wrote:
cbrady wrote:

I don't think they've released 2021 yet btw
21: dark grayish black fanatik has had and then the 21 s works is satin raspberry w/gold.decals

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007291
Mobile Version of Website