2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 5:18 Quote
deavoll wrote:
I know this has been covered a lot but i am struggling to decide between s4 and s5.
I am 6'2 and 215lb, i'm currently on a nomad v4 xl. the nomad is very close to the s4 sizing and feels pretty good.
the sizing chart puts me at the limit for s4 and in the middle for s5.
anyone my size size riding a s4? thanks
I’m 6’2 and ride the s4. I have not tried the s5, but I feel like s4 is enough bike for most people. The bike is very composed no matter size, so I don’t see the need for even more stability at the expense of the agility as long as the reach is long enough. If you mostly ride very high speed trails without alot of corners or mostly doing laps in bike parks I would maybe think about s5, but if not the s4 will be more versitale and faster on most trails.

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 20:56 Quote
Prh wrote:
Hey, have a new 2021 Enduro Expert with the Fox X2 performance rear shock and have been experiencing a knocking noise coming from the rear suspension since new over chatter bumps, roots etc as the rear end unweights. Bike is currently at the shop and the mechanic has picked up on it too and is sending the shock in for a service as he thinks it’s most likely coming from that. Has anyone else experienced similar issues with these shocks as it’s hard to find any info on them being the performance version of the X2??

I have a month on the same model and my rear shock is knocking as well. Needs to be warrantied is my guess

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 0:30 Quote
deavoll wrote:
I know this has been covered a lot but i am struggling to decide between s4 and s5.
I am 6'2 and 215lb, i'm currently on a nomad v4 xl. the nomad is very close to the s4 sizing and feels pretty good.

I'm 186 /6'1 and 190lbs, I am on the S5 and love it, came from the 2018 Large Enduro so a big jump in reach, wheelbase and every other measurement, really like the fit, have no issues with the bike not being playful, can get on high lines fine, hop trails obstacles without issue, handle steep and tight switchbacks with no fuss!

Fastbiker1998 wrote:
I’m 6’2 and ride the s4. I have not tried the s5, but I feel like s4 is enough bike for most people. The bike is very composed no matter size, so I don’t see the need for even more stability at the expense of the agility as long as the reach is long enough. If you mostly ride very high speed trails without alot of corners or mostly doing laps in bike parks I would maybe think about s5, but if not the s4 will be more versitale and faster on most trails.

I disagree with this, I ride completely the opposite and love the S5, this is in the UK, over a wet winter and riding natural trails which are tight, twisty, undulating with some steep tech sections.

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 6:04 Quote
deavoll wrote:

Im 6'2, roughly 98kg. I ride an S5. Best bike Iv ever owned. I use it for everything. I also have a 180mm Zeb fork on it and I run DH and DD Maxxis tyres. I also made the move to clip pedals on this bike. I did not try an S4 but the S5 is definitley working for me. I ride mostly tech stuff in UK weather. Cant fault it.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 1:14 Quote
ramymcc22 wrote:
deavoll wrote:

Im 6'2, roughly 98kg. I ride an S5. Best bike Iv ever owned. I use it for everything. I also have a 180mm Zeb fork on it and I run DH and DD Maxxis tyres. I also made the move to clip pedals on this bike. I did not try an S4 but the S5 is definitley working for me. I ride mostly tech stuff in UK weather. Cant fault it.

I'm 6ft on an S4 - I have the bars with all the spacers underneath, fit is great but not super stretched......tighter than my Whyte S150, although the bars were quite low on that. I guess after countless sizing questions on every bike on this forum the key element is that it is each to their own, you'll never get a consistent answer!

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 12:02 Quote
Can anyone confirm Hayes Dominion compatibility with the Enduro? there is a review on Hayes' site that says the rear wouldn't fit.

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 12:35 Quote
I have dominions on my enduro with 200mm rotors and no issues.

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 13:58 Quote
I found the problem, it's a blown hub! Bike is all good and in tact!

Blownoutrides wrote:
Macropod wrote:
I’m in the same exact situation. I’ve had an S Works 2020 for all summer and am dealing with an annoying creak exactly as you described. I spent last weekend taking apart every bearing cleaning and regressing, replaced BB, checked seat post, torque settings in literally every bolt, starting to convince myself the creak is coming from the drive train.

I did learn that whatever grease the factory used to lube the bearings hardens to a paste after a couple of months, it was like removing dried clay. I used an ultrasonic bath filled with wd40 to clean all the bolts. The creak still persists, quietly and disappears after I ride some. It reappears by the end of the ride. I checked front chain ring, super tight.

I do have another short travel Devinci Marshall and learned that a creak I had on it came from the clutch mechanism on my derailleur. Every time the suspension compressed, the chain tension would tighten and the clutch would creak. Check your clutches, I think the creak is more prominent when I apply power on the drive side. If I’m not pedaling, the bike is very quiet. It has something to do with drivetrain, possibly asymmetric linkage. Would
Love to solve this issue. So annoying.

nilb97 wrote:
Hey,
i’ve been riding my new enduro 2020 expert S5 for a month now. first of all i’m really happy with how it rides and handles. As long as you get used to the low bb it’s one of the most rewarding bikes i’ve ridden. It climbs like a champ and decents like DH!
However, i’ve been dealing with an annoying creak/ very loud clicking noise which appears when putting down power. It started after the first couple of rides. I dropped it of at the shop right away, they checked the pedals, re-tourqued everything. Problem not solved.
Second time at the shop, they replaced my BB ( eventhough nothing was wrong with the old one ), checked the chain-ring, the dropperseat the headset, rear-skewer, deraileaur hanger etc. Creaking remains...
Finally we took the frame apart at the bikeshop.
No cracks on the frame.
We noticed they put lot’s of grease on bearings and washers from the linkages. which attracted quite a bit of dirt. Everything got cleaned, slightly re-greased and reassambled properly.
The creaking was gone for 1 ride and then came back !! so frustrating, especially because it’s a brand new bike and pretty much everything that “normally” causes a creak like that got checked.
It distracts me from riding and does not give me any confidence riding the way i want. sometimes i can feel the creak/click through the entire frame which actually feels like significant movement or play.
Has anyone of you experienced something similar with the enduro 2020, or with specialized bike’s in general?

Did the same tear down to find my creak - ended up being the rear hydra hub. I9 replaced the microspline driver under warranty and the creak went away. Maybe try swapping your rear wheel onto your other bike and see if the creak comes with it (that’s how I stumbled on it).

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 14:30 Quote
jason114 wrote:
I have dominions on my enduro with 200mm rotors and no issues.

awesome, thanks

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 2:37 Quote
Macropod wrote:
I found the problem, it's a blown hub! Bike is all good and in tact!

Blownoutrides wrote:
Macropod wrote:
I’m in the same exact situation. I’ve had an S Works 2020 for all summer and am dealing with an annoying creak exactly as you described. I spent last weekend taking apart every bearing cleaning and regressing, replaced BB, checked seat post, torque settings in literally every bolt, starting to convince myself the creak is coming from the drive train.

I did learn that whatever grease the factory used to lube the bearings hardens to a paste after a couple of months, it was like removing dried clay. I used an ultrasonic bath filled with wd40 to clean all the bolts. The creak still persists, quietly and disappears after I ride some. It reappears by the end of the ride. I checked front chain ring, super tight.

I do have another short travel Devinci Marshall and learned that a creak I had on it came from the clutch mechanism on my derailleur. Every time the suspension compressed, the chain tension would tighten and the clutch would creak. Check your clutches, I think the creak is more prominent when I apply power on the drive side. If I’m not pedaling, the bike is very quiet. It has something to do with drivetrain, possibly asymmetric linkage. Would
Love to solve this issue. So annoying.

Did the same tear down to find my creak - ended up being the rear hydra hub. I9 replaced the microspline driver under warranty and the creak went away. Maybe try swapping your rear wheel onto your other bike and see if the creak comes with it (that’s how I stumbled on it).

Haha nice! Good to know it wasn’t the frame

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 14:41 Quote
Has anyone tried out a float x2 on their stumpy Evo yet?

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 15:10 Quote
coop08 wrote:

Think they have said the can doesn’t fit

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 16:15 Quote
coop08 wrote:

This is an Enduro thread...

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 16:54 Quote
jaydawg69 wrote:
coop08 wrote:

This is an Enduro thread...

Haha whoops. Clicked the wrong thread.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021691
Mobile Version of Website