2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 19:48 Quote
Hey guys. Need some help or suggestions with some suspension settings for my bike. I would consider myself an aggressive rider who rides proper dh tracks. Don’t care much about climbing performance. I’ve got the 2021 expert build S4 with performance elite 38 fork and float x2 rear shock. I am 6’1 170. Can anyone recommend a base starting point for all of the settings?? Specialized doesn’t yet have a set up guide for this bike yet. Thanks guys!

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 7:48 Quote
Steve at Vorsprung recommends fully closed high-speed rebound then use low speed as a single adjuster (he has a video on YT about it). Compression tuning is pretty personal. Start mid way and bring an Allen key with you on your rides. Adjust to your liking.

tyflymtb wrote:
Hey guys. Need some help or suggestions with some suspension settings for my bike. I would consider myself an aggressive rider who rides proper dh tracks. Don’t care much about climbing performance. I’ve got the 2021 expert build S4 with performance elite 38 fork and float x2 rear shock. I am 6’1 170. Can anyone recommend a base starting point for all of the settings?? Specialized doesn’t yet have a set up guide for this bike yet. Thanks guys!

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 7:09 Quote
Hi all, i have a 2020 enduro expert with the DPX2 shock. Now before everyone says it - yeah I know best idea is to upgrade to X2 and I would, or a coil, but funds aren't there at the moment. Trying to get the best out of a DPX2 for the moment. Can anyone tell me their settings?

I found 280psi with 0.4 volume space wasn't working and might have been bottoming out, 300psi and 0.2 spacer felt ok but I didn't get to try it out in anger on the trails, but better than 0.4/280psi

My details: 220lbs / 100kg ride ready weight, currently have about 280psi with a 0.6 volume spacer (not tried that out yet as broke my wrist skiing)

I ride local trails which do include some chunk and ride in the Swiss Alps on tech/bike park.

Can anyone help me out here? Thanks Cool

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 7:56 Quote
Anyone notice specialized increased their prices over the weekend? Enduro Comp in Canada went up $400.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 8:10 Quote
dvp8 wrote:
Anyone notice specialized increased their prices over the weekend? Enduro Comp in Canada went up $400.

went up a couple of weeks ago... Expert model went up more. I suspect demand and higher shipping costs.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 8:12 Quote
jaydawg69 wrote:
dvp8 wrote:

went up a couple of weeks ago... Expert model went up more. I suspect demand and higher shipping costs.

Wild. I only noticed it over the weekend. Good chance it will go up even more. 6% increase but I imagine the increase will be higher than once summer hits.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 9:02 Quote
Buy a Float X2 Big Grin

Kidding but not kidding. I'm about same size as you.

I ran rebound full slow, 265-270 psi, and 3 spacers and it was ok, but the valve tune just wasn't there for me. If possible, get it re-valved, costs about the same as a shock rebuild and should get you to a good place.

I managed to find a used X2 for about $200 more than my DPX2 was worth (sold that one to a friend) so the upgrade wasn't that costly in the end.

motorstone wrote:
Hi all, i have a 2020 enduro expert with the DPX2 shock. Now before everyone says it - yeah I know best idea is to upgrade to X2 and I would, or a coil, but funds aren't there at the moment. Trying to get the best out of a DPX2 for the moment. Can anyone tell me their settings?

I found 280psi with 0.4 volume space wasn't working and might have been bottoming out, 300psi and 0.2 spacer felt ok but I didn't get to try it out in anger on the trails, but better than 0.4/280psi

My details: 220lbs / 100kg ride ready weight, currently have about 280psi with a 0.6 volume spacer (not tried that out yet as broke my wrist skiing)

I ride local trails which do include some chunk and ride in the Swiss Alps on tech/bike park.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 3:34 Quote
by 3 spacers do you mean 0.6 sized token?
ill try full slow rebound, think i have 2 clicks on there as figured none wasn't a good idea haha

cjarrett wrote:
Buy a Float X2 Big Grin

Kidding but not kidding. I'm about same size as you.

I ran rebound full slow, 265-270 psi, and 3 spacers and it was ok, but the valve tune just wasn't there for me. If possible, get it re-valved, costs about the same as a shock rebuild and should get you to a good place.

I managed to find a used X2 for about $200 more than my DPX2 was worth (sold that one to a friend) so the upgrade wasn't that costly in the end.

motorstone wrote:

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 11:54 Quote
Yeah sorry confusing the X2 for DPX2.

motorstone wrote:
by 3 spacers do you mean 0.6 sized token?
ill try full slow rebound, think i have 2 clicks on there as figured none wasn't a good idea haha

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 18:47 Quote
Another question about suspension setup (you're welcome)
Does anyone use the Specialized suspension calculator? (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/suspension-calculator/app)
Anyone find that the suggested settings seem pretty far off from Fox for the x2 suggested settings? (https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=1036)
To get about ~28% sag I need to run about 210 psi for my weight - this is based on fox instruction.
Specialized is suggesting I run 240psi.

Out of curiosity I plugged my height and weight into Norco's ride setup app and they're suggesting 260psi(!!)

Is less sag the way to go or are these manufacturers being conservative?

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 19:16 Quote
Different bikes have different motion ratios (ratio of shock motion to wheel motion), so it's not possible to compare settings between bikes.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 1:30 Quote
armadavegas wrote:
Another question about suspension setup (you're welcome)
Does anyone use the Specialized suspension calculator? (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/suspension-calculator/app)
Anyone find that the suggested settings seem pretty far off from Fox for the x2 suggested settings? (https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=1036)
To get about ~28% sag I need to run about 210 psi for my weight - this is based on fox instruction.
Specialized is suggesting I run 240psi.

Out of curiosity I plugged my height and weight into Norco's ride setup app and they're suggesting 260psi(!!)

Is less sag the way to go or are these manufacturers being conservative?

Will depend whether you have the 2020 X2 or the newer 2021 X2. The Specialized calculator is only for the 2020 version which is very different from the 2021 as you can see if you look up both on the Fox website.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 8:07 Quote
I will piggyback on this: anyone running a Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil and care to share settings info? I have been working to get mine dialed and it feels pretty good. Always curious to hear the thoughts of others though. Thanks!

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 16:09 Quote
I used the Shock setting calculator and found it was nowhere near right for my riding....then after banging my head against the wall trying to sort out my settings, I figured out that my analog shock pump was off by 30psi!! I then purchased a digital shock pump, and VIOLA!... the suggested pressure turned out to be very close to perfect.
Check your shock pump!.. It might be way off!

Posted: Jan 24, 2021 at 1:51 Quote
p2rida wrote:
Prh wrote:
Hey, have a new 2021 Enduro Expert with the Fox X2 performance rear shock and have been experiencing a knocking noise coming from the rear suspension since new over chatter bumps, roots etc as the rear end unweights. Bike is currently at the shop and the mechanic has picked up on it too and is sending the shock in for a service as he thinks it’s most likely coming from that. Has anyone else experienced similar issues with these shocks as it’s hard to find any info on them being the performance version of the X2??

I have a month on the same model and my rear shock is knocking as well. Needs to be warrantied is my guess

Ok so shock is back and negative air chamber was blocked by grease from factory but still doesn’t feel or sound good in the rear end over chatter/chunk. My thoughts are that the HSR & HSC are both too fast and as there are no adjustments for either on the performance version of the X2 this is what’s making the rear end too lively on bigger hits. I had a super deluxe off a demo bike to use while my shock was being serviced and while the X2 feels better for most situations the super deluxe was more composed over the types of terrain I get the issues with the X2 on.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008721
Mobile Version of Website