2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 10:16 Quote
I'm coming up on 2 years on mine, I ride year round. S5, I'm 215lbs, no cracking, done some good size drops and lots of hard chundery terrain on a regular basis. YMMV

nellyt wrote:
Hi guys
I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a 2021 enduro expert but have noticed a couple of threads on them being prone to cracking. Just wondering what people’s thoughts and experiences are? Is it not as common as if seems or worth avoiding?
Cheers
Neil

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 10:37 Quote
ohio wrote:
ktmrider143 wrote:
Hey guys, I have the new enduro and looking to put a coil shock on. Anyone know the size of stroke for the spring? 2.5 or 2.75? Going with a Cane Creek Kitsuma coil.
60mm = 2.36", so 2.5" spring is your jam. Those of us running 65mm shocks have needed to bump up to the 2.75, but as long as you´re sticking with stock, you´re good.

Not sure about Cane Creak but a 2.4” Fox SLS spring will bind on 205x60 2021 DHX2. Per Fox you need the 2.65 spring.

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 12:37 Quote
Leven wrote:
nerds-on-dirt-mtb wrote:
No a friend made these for me, Stikrd does much fancier printed decals but they can be expensive

Any chance do you have the dimensions and what size your frame is?

Mine is an S4 and the decal itself is 14in X 2in

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 3:07 Quote
nellyt wrote:
Hi guys
I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a 2021 enduro expert but have noticed a couple of threads on them being prone to cracking. Just wondering what people’s thoughts and experiences are? Is it not as common as if seems or worth avoiding?
Cheers
Neil

My 2020 cracked around the seat tube, quite like a few S4's at least. Most of the stories seemed to be about MY20 bikes, haven't read any about MY21, so hopefully the issues have been addressed! As an example, a few of the carbon S-Works drop links also broke, mine were ok but the replacement 21 frame has magnesium (or Al) drop links now.

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 3:53 Quote
JasenK wrote:
nellyt wrote:
Hi guys
Cheers
Neil

My 2020 cracked around the seat tube, quite like a few S4's at least. Most of the stories seemed to be about MY20 bikes, haven't read any about MY21, so hopefully the issues have been addressed! As an example, a few of the carbon S-Works drop links also broke, mine were ok but the replacement 21 frame has magnesium (or Al) drop links now.
t

bigquotes
Thanks for the info. The sworks on your profile looks im booked into demo an s3 at pearce cycles in a couple of weeks. I worry an s4 might be a little on the large side. Im 5:10 but most stuff i ride is tight and techy

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 7:40 Quote
nellyt wrote:
JasenK wrote:
nellyt wrote:
Hi guys
Cheers
Neil

t

bigquotes
Thanks for the info. The sworks on your profile looks im booked into demo an s3 at pearce cycles in a couple of weeks. I worry an s4 might be a little on the large side. Im 5:10 but most stuff i ride is tight and techy

Yeah I'm 5'11 and on an S4, its great at speed but tight slow stuff its a bit much to move around if an S3 was avail I'd gone for that but in these times I was just happy to get a bike.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 8:23 Quote
nellyt wrote:
JasenK wrote:
nellyt wrote:
Hi guys
Cheers
Neil

t

bigquotes

Same size as you and I went with a S3. Even at the smaller size this bike is huge. Compared the geometry to buddies XL turbo levo and the S3 was bigger in pretty much everything.

O+
Posted: Apr 24, 2021 at 6:59 Quote
Curious to get your guys' thoughts on running a 35mm stem vs. 50mm on this bike. I've been on a 50mm for a year now and just swapped for a 35mm. Few things I noticed right away - steep sections much more forgiving, jumps smoother with the wheel feeling "more infront of you", but turning and cornering seem to suffer. I couldn't shake the feeling that the front wheel wants to wash out on the corners and even some berms. Cornering has always been a weak spot in my riding so I'll probably go back to the 50mm.

What do you think? Does a 50mm stem suit the bike better? Or does it come down to individual sizing, riding style, personal preference, etc?

Posted: Apr 24, 2021 at 9:09 Quote
spendtimebehindbars wrote:
Or does it come down to individual sizing, riding style, personal preference, etc?

Everything you said is exactly what would be expected from changing to a shorter stem. Your weight is farther back, which is ideal on steeps, but it's difficult to put enough weight on the front wheel to get traction on flat turns and berms. These are universal issues, not specific to the Enduro.

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2021 at 10:44 Quote
Yup.....Need a 42.5 mm stem for this bike obviously..lol

Posted: Apr 25, 2021 at 13:35 Quote
Hello guys, anyone here runs 12 sp shimano drivetrain with m7100/8100/9120 cranks here with 172mm Q-factor and 52mm chainline? I am building my bike up and my 7100 crankset sits really close to the frame on the non-drive side. Does anyone run this without problems? Or should I get x120 series for larger q-factor and better clearance (however this will change chainline to 55mm)?

Posted: Apr 25, 2021 at 18:18 Quote
Flying,

If it's tight on one side, but not the other, there's probably an issue with the spacer arrangement.

Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 1:49 Quote
XT8100 have 172 mm Q-factor, 8120 have 178 mm Q-factor - this is achieved with longer crank shaft and two 3 mm spacers on crank shaft (page 18/35 https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/storage/pdf/en/dm/MAFC002/DM-MAFC002-08-ENG.pdf).

I run XT8120 with no spacers between BB and frame, and both 3 mm spacers on left side (non-drive side) - to make better chainline (52 mm). This results in a lot of space between crank on left (non-drive side) and not much on the right (drive side). But I have zero problems with this setup. With 3 mm spacer on each side (on cranshaft) space between frame and crank will be perfect on both sides (55 mm chainline).
I have mounted XT8120 because I had it from previous bike, otherwise I would probably run XT8100 (but I haven't tried it so I don't know how close it is to the frame).

Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 4:10 Quote
spendtimebehindbars wrote:
Curious to get your guys' thoughts on running a 35mm stem vs. 50mm on this bike. I've been on a 50mm for a year now and just swapped for a 35mm. Few things I noticed right away - steep sections much more forgiving, jumps smoother with the wheel feeling "more infront of you", but turning and cornering seem to suffer. I couldn't shake the feeling that the front wheel wants to wash out on the corners and even some berms. Cornering has always been a weak spot in my riding so I'll probably go back to the 50mm.

What do you think? Does a 50mm stem suit the bike better? Or does it come down to individual sizing, riding style, personal preference, etc?

Its about getting the weight on that front wheel, as I'm sure you know, but takes a lot more effort / thinking and even a biggish change in body position if you have come from "old school" geo. I had a Mondraker Dune before, so had started to really lean over the front (relatively speaking) for cornering. I'm on an S4 with the full spacer stack height under the standard 50mm stem......fits me well (I'm 1M81), I don't think I will shorten the stembut have thought about playing around and lowering it to get more weight on the front wheel for cornering. The other thing that might make a difference is sag......mine sits back a little when shock is fully open, but quite noticeable when flicking the pedal lever about how much more weight is transferred and stays on the front wheel.

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 7:55 Quote
I've been running a 32mm stem on my S4, at first I had it up a bit too high after lowering it nearly slammed it feels great.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010380
Mobile Version of Website