2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 20:47 Quote
tyflymtb wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
tyflymtb,

Can you please give more information about the lack of support you're feeling? What sorts of situations and what does this lack of support feel like? This could help determine whether you need more pressure, a different spring compression ratio, and/or different damping.
It just feels a bit harsh on big impacts like flat landings and drops and breaking bumps seem harsh. Is the psi I have a good starting point? I can’t seem to find any info on specialized website on the bike

I’m late the party, but I’ve been learning how to tune my 38 and wanted to share. I’ve got an S4 with a DHX2 coil and a factory 38.

I wasn’t getting full travel on my local Tahoe trails and didn’t have that plush feeling I wanted in the first 50%, so I reduced compression and air pressure but I found that the fork ended up sitting in the mid range and felt really harsh on chunky terrain and braking bumps when I did this. I went the opposite direction and set it to 110 psi (I’m 195lbs), took out all volume spacers and set it to factory clicker settings. MUCH better. Now I’m getting better use of travel without bottoming on jumps or drops and my hands don’t hurt in the braking bumps. I’d say it is perfectly matched to the coil rear end now without losing support or pop.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 0:14 Quote
This is something I have done on every fork I’ve had since the Marzocchi 55 CR. I have experimented a lot with volume spacers on subsequent forks but never managed to get near that linear smooth feel I had on the 55 with spacers. My experience is as you describe, with mid stroke wallow and harsh later part of travel.
Right now I have a Zeb select with no volume spacers, and quite quick rebound. The Zeb Select is a funny fork though. The compression adjuster makes no discernible difference and the rebound seems very temperature sensitive. I’m seeing three clicks difference to get the same feel from 20 degrees to 30 degree external temperature.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 1:48 Quote
I have had the same experience with two pairs Lyriks since the debonair shaft came along, less tokens and more air gets the fork feeling really good.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 4:59 Quote
jaame wrote:
This is something I have done on every fork I’ve had since the Marzocchi 55 CR. I have experimented a lot with volume spacers on subsequent forks but never managed to get near that linear smooth feel I had on the 55 with spacers. My experience is as you describe, with mid stroke wallow and harsh later part of travel.
Right now I have a Zeb select with no volume spacers, and quite quick rebound. The Zeb Select is a funny fork though. The compression adjuster makes no discernible difference and the rebound seems very temperature sensitive. I’m seeing three clicks difference to get the same feel from 20 degrees to 30 degree external temperature.

The RC2 damper is an insane upgrade to the select forks, if you have the means, I highly suggest doing it.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 5:28 Quote
Is the RC2 the Ultimate damper?
I can afford it if I want to, but I’m dubious over whether it will actually make me any faster. It’s always what I weigh up when buying anything. Would I be better spending that money on better food, gym memberships, etc?

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 6:48 Quote
jaame wrote:
I can afford it if I want to, but I’m dubious over whether it will actually make me any faster. It’s always what I weigh up when buying anything. Would I be better spending that money on better food, gym memberships, etc?

Yes, it essentially makes the select an ultimate if you install it. Will it make you faster? That's pretty hard to quantify. My experience was a night and day difference. did it make me faster? probably not. I'm more confident diving in to rock gardens knowing that I would not lose front end traction skipping over the chunder. I could find a set of adjustments that worked well for pumping berms and sending jumps that also didn't fatigue my arms in the rough stuff. Of all the RS forks I've had in the past few years none have impressed me this much since the Pike update of 2013.

The select is a good fork, if your riding style matches the damper tune. However I found the adjustments do almost nothing unless you are at the extreme ends. The tuning possibilities are non existent. They even call it a "charger" when it's almost nothing like the design of the charger damper as we know it. It's some sly marketing BS.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 7:42 Quote
Hi everyone, just picked up a 2nd hand but hardly used Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil shock to try out. I've tried out the spring calculators and it seems I can run anything from 500 coil for 33% sag to 650 coil for 25% sag. Well i'm getting a 650 and a 500 thrown in so see where i ends up.

I've never had a coil shock and I realise it's not the popular DHX2 (2x the price for us Europeans and anyway can't find one to fit at the moment) however could anyone give me any setup tips for rebound and compression?

I'm 99kg ride ready with backpack (218lbs) and ride a lot of steep tech including some bike park. Oh also have a 180mm Zeb up front not the stock Fox 36 170mm

Thanks!

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 8:16 Quote

Didn't know Claudio was riding a Specialized now.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 8:31 Quote
RMWB wrote:

Didn't know Claudio was riding a Specialized now.

Sexy bike too!

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 11:12 Quote
RMWB wrote:
jaame wrote:

Yes, it essentially makes the select an ultimate if you install it. Will it make you faster? That's pretty hard to quantify. My experience was a night and day difference. did it make me faster? probably not. I'm more confident diving in to rock gardens knowing that I would not lose front end traction skipping over the chunder. I could find a set of adjustments that worked well for pumping berms and sending jumps that also didn't fatigue my arms in the rough stuff. Of all the RS forks I've had in the past few years none have impressed me this much since the Pike update of 2013.

The select is a good fork, if your riding style matches the damper tune. However I found the adjustments do almost nothing unless you are at the extreme ends. The tuning possibilities are non existent. They even call it a "charger" when it's almost nothing like the design of the charger damper as we know it. It's some sly marketing BS.

It will make you ride faster for sure. Way more tunability. From supple to firm. No more fork dive while weighting the front of the bike. Extremely recommended.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 9:40 Quote
Anyone know the tune ID for the 2021 factory X2 that comes on the S-works?

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 12:22 Quote
Hey guys
I just cracked my comp frame on the seattube, i will receive an s Works frame but i have to pay 500€. To be honest thats not the customer service i was looking for when i bought this bike…..

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 18:08 Quote
@ sebse11 ....was the crack your fault ??? Did you crash ??
My frame cracked at the seat tube aswell. Im waiting on a warranty replacement, but I would'nt be very happy if I have to pay extra for a new frame. My crack was a frame failure and not my fault.

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 9:12 Quote
Did Specialized bill you this directly or was it the shop? Some shops charge a warranty replacement fee for processing the warranty and rebuilding the bike with the new frame, especially if you didn't buy the bike through them. 500 seems excessive though.

sebse11 wrote:
Hey guys
I just cracked my comp frame on the seattube, i will receive an s Works frame but i have to pay 500€. To be honest thats not the customer service i was looking for when i bought this bike…..

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 12:12 Quote
spendtimebehindbars wrote:
Did Specialized bill you this directly or was it the shop? Some shops charge a warranty replacement fee for processing the warranty and rebuilding the bike with the new frame, especially if you didn't buy the bike through them. 500 seems excessive though.

sebse11 wrote:
Hey guys

A fee for “processing” the warranty sounds like some BS. I imagine if anyone at Spec. knew that a shop was doing that they wouldn’t be a spec shop for very long.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006912
Mobile Version of Website