2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 0:33 Quote
Fastbiker1998 wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a tool to reach and tighten
the bolt on the rear end of the shock?

If you undo the front bolts and let the swing arm move it opens up enough space to get a fairly typical torque wrench at the lower bolt.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 20:54 Quote
dan-clayton wrote:
Hi guys,

I’m really interested in getting one of these bikes but was wondering on the sizing. I’m 6ft 4 and so would be looking at an S5. The recommended sizing from Specialized only goes up to 6ft 4. Any of you taller riders around my height have any comments on the S5?

Cheers in advance!

I’m 6’4 too - S5 is perfect. Tried 35mm and 40mm stems... loved the twitch but eventually settled on 50mm for a bit more room.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 21:00 Quote
Anyone know if the new enduro is dual crown rated?

Manual just says 170mm max, but ATC on a 2021 Fox 40 at 190mm is just 5mm taller than a 170mm 38.

6’4 230lbs and my Fox 38 crown is already creaking after a week. Been down that road before... no thx. Figure a dual crown is only 1.5lbs heavier so worth a think.

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 12:15 Quote
rocko1982 wrote:
Fastbiker1998 wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a tool to reach and tighten
the bolt on the rear end of the shock?

If you undo the front bolts and let the swing arm move it opens up enough space to get a fairly typical torque wrench at the lower bolt.

Ah thanks, good to know Smile

Posted: Jul 15, 2020 at 16:09 Quote
Jicka wrote:
ben8633 wrote:
Hey guys! I'm looking at picking up an enduro while they still have some stock in the UK before the 2021 model comes out. I'm 5ft 9 and not sure whether I should be looking at an s3 or s4. I quite like a long bike, but I don't want to feel too stretched out while climbing, anyone roughly my height running either of those 2 sizes?

I think it depends on if you like a smaller more maneuverable bike or a bigger more stable one.

I rode both sizes around the bike shop parking lot and rented an S4 for the day. I definitely liked the S4 better and I’m the same height. I would be ok with either size but I prefer a more stable bike so I am going to get an S4.

Ladies and gentleman I need help. Advice on bike size, but it may turn into mental help because of how much I’m letting this topic mess with my head.... bottom line is I am LITERALLY in between sizes for S3 and S4. I’m 5’9.5 tall (barefoot) with a 32” inseam and 5’11-6ft wingspan. I like the idea of a longer bike but as we all know the enduro is already considered a long bike so I’m not sure if the S4 would be overkill. I’ve had a chance to ride the S3 but won’t have that same chance to ride the S4 because of COVID related stocking issues. Both are back order available through my local retailer. I already have a aqua blue S3 comp on back order but am getting second thoughts on pulling the trigger on the more nimble bike. I have time to change my decision to an S4 but I clearly don’t know if I should. My riding will be a 50-50 mix of local enduro trails and lift service stuff. I’ll take all the advice I can get. My appreciation in advance ????????

Posted: Jul 15, 2020 at 18:35 Quote
patchezzz wrote:
Jicka wrote:
ben8633 wrote:
Hey guys! I'm looking at picking up an enduro while they still have some stock in the UK before the 2021 model comes out. I'm 5ft 9 and not sure whether I should be looking at an s3 or s4. I quite like a long bike, but I don't want to feel too stretched out while climbing, anyone roughly my height running either of those 2 sizes?

I think it depends on if you like a smaller more maneuverable bike or a bigger more stable one.

I rode both sizes around the bike shop parking lot and rented an S4 for the day. I definitely liked the S4 better and I’m the same height. I would be ok with either size but I prefer a more stable bike so I am going to get an S4.

Ladies and gentleman I need help. Advice on bike size, but it may turn into mental help because of how much I’m letting this topic mess with my head.... bottom line is I am LITERALLY in between sizes for S3 and S4. I’m 5’9.5 tall (barefoot) with a 32” inseam and 5’11-6ft wingspan. I like the idea of a longer bike but as we all know the enduro is already considered a long bike so I’m not sure if the S4 would be overkill. I’ve had a chance to ride the S3 but won’t have that same chance to ride the S4 because of COVID related stocking issues. Both are back order available through my local retailer. I already have a aqua blue S3 comp on back order but am getting second thoughts on pulling the trigger on the more nimble bike. I have time to change my decision to an S4 but I clearly don’t know if I should. My riding will be a 50-50 mix of local enduro trails and lift service stuff. I’ll take all the advice I can get. My appreciation in advance ????????

I am the exact same height and inseam as you, and actually went for the s4 and I love it! I’m not having any problems with manoeuvrability and can happily throw the bike around in tight turns!

Posted: Jul 15, 2020 at 19:03 Quote
ben8633 wrote:
patchezzz wrote:
Jicka wrote:

I am the exact same height and inseam as you, and actually went for the s4 and I love it! I’m not having any problems with manoeuvrability and can happily throw the bike around in tight turns!

Was there a reason why you went with a S4 instead of an S3? Was the only size in stock? Prefer the reach? Super long torso?

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2020 at 21:20 Quote
patchezzz wrote:
Jicka wrote:
ben8633 wrote:

I'm roughly 5'10, and went with the S4. I probably could have even sized up, because I like big bikes, and ride PNW and Whistler style steep stuff. You would probably be best with the S4.

Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 0:11 Quote
Angu58 wrote:
patchezzz wrote:
Jicka wrote:

I'm roughly 5'10, and went with the S4. I probably could have even sized up, because I like big bikes, and ride PNW and Whistler style steep stuff. You would probably be best with the S4.

Hmm idk man :/ I feel like at 5’10 an S5 would be a crazy stretch. I could always get the S4 and get a 32mm stem to bring it back to around 379 reach but even then that’s still a significant reach. I rode a bike today that had a 481 reach and it felt really stretched. I’m living the struggle right now my man Haha

Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 6:40 Quote
howie286 wrote:
bemorestoked wrote:
cjarrett wrote:
Yes, I'm having the exact same problem. I will try what is suggested above as well to see if it helps. I ride in lots of wet/muddy conditions and I hose my bike off usually, so I'm sure its related to getting gunk where it doesn't like to be.

I ride an S5, and when I put the power down it sounds like the bike is about to snap, but its still plenty of fun to fly down a hill on!

I was having this exact same problem/noise. Tried a bunch of stuff, wasn't BB, etc. Then I went to loosen the bolt on the drive side of that lower pivot and there was a huge "pop." Turned out that bolt was waaaay over tightened from the factory. Pulled the little axle thing out, cleaned and greased everything, put it back together at the recommended torque and I'm back to a silent magic carpet.

Thats interesting, i've been dealing with a creaking and rattling bike for about 2 weeks and it is doing my head in, the bike feels like something is loose and over of camber roots and rocks it feels like the suspension isn't quite doing its job anymore, the bike feels like its rattling and deflecting, however first 3 weeks it was insanely, beyond words good. I can't being to describe how good this bike is.

I removed that same bolt you were talking about and it made the gnarliest noise, I was full convinced i'd snapped something. I haven't pulled that complete axle tube out yet but will give that a good going over. I completely get it when people say they don't have faith or confidence if their bike has a distinctive creak or knock, you're torn between riding or pulling over in fear something is getting flogged out.

Thanks for the info!

Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 6:42 Quote
Hey guys.
I have an S5 elite, and I need some help. Its creaking like crazy under power and its driving me crazy. Checked everything else, bb, pedals rear wheel etc. Im guna take the main bolt in front of the crankset out and clean / re-grease it, but Id like advice please. Do you just remove the one side from the drive side, or non drive side ???
Any advice would be great.
Ray

Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 22:36 Quote
ramymcc22 wrote:
Hey guys.
I have an S5 elite, and I need some help. Its creaking like crazy under power and its driving me crazy. Checked everything else, bb, pedals rear wheel etc. Im guna take the main bolt in front of the crankset out and clean / re-grease it, but Id like advice please. Do you just remove the one side from the drive side, or non drive side ???
Ray

I had a similar issue and found a locked bearing in one of the many rear linkage arms. Have a look in your owners manual. It’s pretty comprehensive in telling you what order to assemble & torque things. Pretty sure that it asks you to toque that pivot you’re talking about first and then tighten/torque the rest of the rear triangle in a specific order. Not sure about just loosening and removing/re-installing that main pivot bolt by itself though. Could pay to check all bearings throughout the rear suspension, grease, and re-loctite everything in the correct order. Let us know how you go.

Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 12:41 Quote
Exact same thing and I've fixed it... twice.

I pulled out the main inboard pivot, the titanium axle thing with the capscrew inside of it, takes a 4mm to take the capscrew out, and an 8mm to take the main axle out. Take it out, clean it, thin layer of grease on the surfaces, and clean the inside of the frame and pivot the best you can, and it'll stay quiet for another dozen mucky rides. Will see how long it lasts now that summer is here, I just cleaned it again and in combination with my new DT 350 hub the bike is quieter than ever.

ramymcc22 wrote:
Hey guys.
Ray

Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 13:28 Quote
Thanks guys.
Il try all this tomorow. What a bike also. Im biking a long time and it is by far the best bike I have ever owned.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.043917
Mobile Version of Website