2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 10:44 Quote
makripper wrote:
I ordered a 2022 s3 comp. Contemplating what to do for suspension. Has anyone ran an ohlins air shock on these bikes?
I just swapped my Super Deluxe Select + for an Ohlins TTX Air after two seasons on the RockShox. The Ohlins is incredible, well worth the upgrade! Feels way more supple, more controlled in all ways, and just as fun and poppy.

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 0:50 Quote
NMK187 wrote:
makripper wrote:
I ordered a 2022 s3 comp. Contemplating what to do for suspension. Has anyone ran an ohlins air shock on these bikes?
I just swapped my Super Deluxe Select + for an Ohlins TTX Air after two seasons on the RockShox. The Ohlins is incredible, well worth the upgrade! Feels way more supple, more controlled in all ways, and just as fun and poppy.

I was a fan of my Ohlins STX22 air on my x wing Enduro. Curious to try the new air on the newer Enduro, although I did pick up a TTX22 this summer to try, it hasn't been fitted permanently as I was trying diff springs then got injured.

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 8:17 Quote
exmouthlocal wrote:
NMK187 wrote:
makripper wrote:

I was a fan of my Ohlins STX22 air on my x wing Enduro. Curious to try the new air on the newer Enduro, although I did pick up a TTX22 this summer to try, it hasn't been fitted permanently as I was trying diff springs then got injured.

Trying springs here too (dvo jade X and smashpot lyrik) but I’m still in the recovery stages. It’s the worst lol

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 9:48 Quote
[Quote="makripper"]
jaydawg69 wrote:
makripper wrote:
yeah? I was thinking of ohlins or super deluxe ultimate vs the select plus and new internals in the zeb select.

Or are you happy with the adjustments that the select plus has?[/Quote

I just set it and forget it.... the MegNeg is a huge improvement and once it's tuned, you don't need to mess with settings other than air pressure. It's easy to want to upgrade but completely unnecessary imo. The Charger 2 for the Zeb would be an improvement for sure but I think they are going to release a Charger 3 fairly soon but who knows for sure.
thanks for the feedback. I'll do what you suggest when the bikes comes in and go from there. Definitely getting the Meg neg. I heard the charger 2.1 is a not very supportive.

I had a Lyrik Ultimate with the charger damper 2.1 and now a Zeb Ultimate. I would say the damper feels different and better on the Zeb. Charger damper 2.0 wasn't as supportive as the 2.1 is but it felt better over square hits IME.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 23:57 Quote
I recently bought a used Enduro S3 and I am loving it so far. Amazing bike and I am smashing every single personal record I set with my old Capra.

The bike is equipped with a Fox 36 Factory and a Fox DPX2 Performance damper. Fork is amazing, but it feels like the rear doesn’t have that much support and somewhat blows through the mid stroke, but small bump compliance is great however.

Has anyone switched from DPX2 to Float X2? What was your experience?

And anyone bought the WPR Mullet Link? I like tinkering and thought about giving is a shot.

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 0:03 Quote
Ok guys, been out of the game for a while, and I’m new to the Shimano brake game. Picked up an new enduro frame and for the life of me I can figure out which brake adapters to use for 203mm front and back. I’m beginning to regret going the Shimano route, rather than sram….can anyone help a brother out?!

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 0:41 Quote
The back end is post mount 180mm so you need a +23mm post to post adapter to run a 203 disc.

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 10:36 Quote
Is the new design alot better than the xwing? What are the benefits?

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 10:48 Quote
The new design is a beast. When you hit backsides it accelerates you. It's like the suspension flics you onward.

Had a bit of a nightmare with mine. Stripping it down for a winter service... I removed the right hand side horst pivot and pop! the little screw that holds the chainstay protector on snapped off (I didn't know it was there because I was working from above and the LHS does not have that screw.

Has this happened to anyone else, and what did you use to replace it? Is it a bottle cage screw size thread?

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 11:02 Quote
I would contact specialized. I'm sure they would send you a replacement.

jaame wrote:
The new design is a beast. When you hit backsides it accelerates you. It's like the suspension flics you onward.

Had a bit of a nightmare with mine. Stripping it down for a winter service... I removed the right hand side horst pivot and pop! the little screw that holds the chainstay protector on snapped off (I didn't know it was there because I was working from above and the LHS does not have that screw.

Has this happened to anyone else, and what did you use to replace it? Is it a bottle cage screw size thread?

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 11:06 Quote
jaame wrote:

I did the exact same thing. I went to my local Specialized dealer and they ordered me a new chain stay protector. It came with that bolt you are looking for.

I actually snapped that bolt twice and the second time around I just gave up on it. Been riding without for a year and a half now.

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 11:25 Quote
Update on the DHX coil:

Switched to a 550lb sls spring since I couldn't find a 525 anywhere. Wanted to stick with an sls spring to keep things as consistent as possible. I'm 180lbs geared up for reference

First ride was ok, the suspension still felt active and bottom out support was now plentiful. But the reduced sag did push me further over the front than I'd like and the bb felt high. I always preferred the high setting with air shocks but I switched it to low and the bike sings now. With the reduced sag the geo feels very similar to the high setting with more sag.

Compared to air I don't feel the bike has lost much of anything in climbing, support, or pop. I do notice a smoother and more consistent feel and the harshness I would occasionally feel with the air shock is greatly reduced.

Perhaps a 525 spring would still be ideal if I wanted to keep running the high setting but the bike handles great now and I like having a bit more in reserves for big hits.

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 12:46 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
Update on the DHX coil:

Switched to a 550lb sls spring since I couldn't find a 525 anywhere. Wanted to stick with an sls spring to keep things as consistent as possible. I'm 180lbs geared up for reference

First ride was ok, the suspension still felt active and bottom out support was now plentiful. But the reduced sag did push me further over the front than I'd like and the bb felt high. I always preferred the high setting with air shocks but I switched it to low and the bike sings now. With the reduced sag the geo feels very similar to the high setting with more sag.

Compared to air I don't feel the bike has lost much of anything in climbing, support, or pop. I do notice a smoother and more consistent feel and the harshness I would occasionally feel with the air shock is greatly reduced.

Perhaps a 525 spring would still be ideal if I wanted to keep running the high setting but the bike handles great now and I like having a bit more in reserves for big hits.

I'd recommend trying out a Sprindex. Been amazed at how much just 10-20 lbs of springrate is noticeable.

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 13:15 Quote
I had the exact same experience. The DPX2 had nothing for me (I'm too heavy @ 95kg).

The Float X2 I got 2nd hand from a Giant Reign, the valving seems much more appropriate, and it has full tokens installed. Feels great off of bigger drops and flat landings.

bload wrote:
I recently bought a used Enduro S3 and I am loving it so far. Amazing bike and I am smashing every single personal record I set with my old Capra.

The bike is equipped with a Fox 36 Factory and a Fox DPX2 Performance damper. Fork is amazing, but it feels like the rear doesn’t have that much support and somewhat blows through the mid stroke, but small bump compliance is great however.

Has anyone switched from DPX2 to Float X2? What was your experience?

And anyone bought the WPR Mullet Link? I like tinkering and thought about giving is a shot.

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 13:20 Quote
jaame wrote:

It comes with a whole new chainstay protector. My shop kindly gave it to me. You can remove the screw from your downtube guard if you can find a replacement screw that is to long for the chainstay.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006302
Mobile Version of Website