The Quiting Riding Conundrum

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
The Quiting Riding Conundrum
| Next Page
Posted: Dec 27, 2019 at 9:59 Quote
onyxss wrote:
AdamHamzah wrote:
OK I'm just after peoples thoughts on my situation.

Ok so a little back story; I've been riding dh stuff since mid 2015, I live in the mountain bike capital of New Zealand, I consider myself a very capable rider and own a super nice enduro bike.

Basically this year I've lost all interest in riding dh anymore, I'm just scared.. I've seen so many mates and others have serious injuries and this has caused me to not ride in 2 months all because I don't want to have a similar injury. Don't get me wrong, I love riding, just not dh; I'm spending more time on my tracklocross bike and enjoy it just as much of not more (yes I know.. I've gone to the darkside) half tempted to sell my Enduro bike and go to doing cx, tracklocross and other hobbies.

TLDR: I've seen too many serious injuries due to mountain biking and I'm too scared to ride dh stuff anymore. Do I go to the darkside called cx and tracklocross full time??

Can be quite common situation with DH older riders - for now just follow this darkside path and remember - after some time everyone comes back to bright side Big Grin

Also there is tons of variety on the bright side too - from XC to DH there is tons of everything between (trail, AM, enduro to name most poular ones).

From what is seen, it is super common for us dh orientated riders, mind you when I say dh.. We're riding it on Enduro bikes. Off to the darkside for a wee bit.

Posted: Dec 27, 2019 at 19:54 Quote
AdamHamzah wrote:
onyxss wrote:
AdamHamzah wrote:
OK I'm just after peoples thoughts on my situation.

Ok so a little back story; I've been riding dh stuff since mid 2015, I live in the mountain bike capital of New Zealand, I consider myself a very capable rider and own a super nice enduro bike.

Basically this year I've lost all interest in riding dh anymore, I'm just scared.. I've seen so many mates and others have serious injuries and this has caused me to not ride in 2 months all because I don't want to have a similar injury. Don't get me wrong, I love riding, just not dh; I'm spending more time on my tracklocross bike and enjoy it just as much of not more (yes I know.. I've gone to the darkside) half tempted to sell my Enduro bike and go to doing cx, tracklocross and other hobbies.

TLDR: I've seen too many serious injuries due to mountain biking and I'm too scared to ride dh stuff anymore. Do I go to the darkside called cx and tracklocross full time??

Can be quite common situation with DH older riders - for now just follow this darkside path and remember - after some time everyone comes back to bright side Big Grin

Also there is tons of variety on the bright side too - from XC to DH there is tons of everything between (trail, AM, enduro to name most poular ones).

From what is seen, it is super common for us dh orientated riders, mind you when I say dh.. We're riding it on Enduro bikes. Off to the darkside for a wee bit.
Nearely all people I know are on Enduro bikes now instead of DH bikes.
Exploring new trails- especially techy stuff- is way more fun than going stupid in the park.

For example the Hackelberg and Bergstadltrail in Saalbach- way, way more fun with a trail bike (Saalbach in gereral).

Do what you want to do- I sold all my other bikes- I only have my 29er Stumpjumper left and wont need another bike (okay maybe an E-Bike for commuting and for my mom)

Posted: Dec 28, 2019 at 3:14 Quote
I feel the same way sometimes. I’ve never raced but Strava times between mates. It gets to the point that someone (has a few times already) will crash badly.

I turned 40 this year and although I love the “on edge” feeling, pushing yourself to the limit is eventually going to go bad and most likely very bad in DH.

I’m dialing things back and trying to enjoy it more rather than scaring myself to death.

Posted: Dec 28, 2019 at 6:22 Quote
I used to love racing against the strava population, riding on the edge of grip and setting the top downhill times of the day until.....a big wreck.

Now I ride about 90%, and I have to say, I still love it. I have even begun to enjoy the climbs!

Posted: Dec 28, 2019 at 12:39 Quote
Stick the bike at the back of the garage and leave it till the day
you decide to use it again, or
sell up and try something new if its to much to think on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFEvlc9QdQ8

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 16:06 Quote
JNZ wrote:
I feel the same way sometimes. I’ve never raced but Strava times between mates. It gets to the point that someone (has a few times already) will crash badly.

I turned 40 this year and although I love the “on edge” feeling, pushing yourself to the limit is eventually going to go bad and most likely very bad in DH.

I’m dialing things back and trying to enjoy it more rather than scaring myself to death.

Famous last words, hucked a 4ft drop to flat, pogo'd myself OTB and almost broke my wrist and a couple of ribs.

Will be riding within myself in the future Frown

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 22:42 Quote
AdamHamzah wrote:
traqs wrote:
we all ride for fun, most of us anyways, so do what you want, ride if you want, don't ride if you dont want to. simple as that in my opinion

I rode for fun too. Around my area it's hard to find someone who isn't competitive, everyone is trying to have the fastest strava time and will do anything for if.

#1 quit strava

#2 you probably either need to ride on your own or find some different riding mates. Nothing against your old ones but they probably don't share your outlook and will not be fun for you to ride with as a result.

#3 don't ride anything you feel you need a full facemask or armour for. The odd crash is inevitable but that goes the same for CX, TX or even road riding. If you are using your brain and common sense to guide you and lose the false sense of security protection provides, you will end up riding pretty sensibly.

#4 I would also recommend a hard core hardtail. It forces you to keep your speed in check and brings back a lot of the fun you are probably looking for.

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 21:58 Quote
So true about the hardtail. They have this built-in safety switch called "rigid rear end". When it kicks you in the butt it's time to slow down.

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 22:47 Quote
JNZ wrote:
JNZ wrote:

Famous last words, hucked a 4ft drop to flat, pogo'd myself OTB and almost broke my wrist and a couple of ribs.

Will be riding within myself in the future Frown

Oh bugger, what track was this on?

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 22:51 Quote
rahrider wrote:
AdamHamzah wrote:
traqs wrote:
we all ride for fun, most of us anyways, so do what you want, ride if you want, don't ride if you dont want to. simple as that in my opinion

I rode for fun too. Around my area it's hard to find someone who isn't competitive, everyone is trying to have the fastest strava time and will do anything for if.

#1 quit strava

#2 you probably either need to ride on your own or find some different riding mates. Nothing against your old ones but they probably don't share your outlook and will not be fun for you to ride with as a result.

#3 don't ride anything you feel you need a full facemask or armour for. The odd crash is inevitable but that goes the same for CX, TX or even road riding. If you are using your brain and common sense to guide you and lose the false sense of security protection provides, you will end up riding pretty sensibly.

#4 I would also recommend a hard core hardtail. It forces you to keep your speed in check and brings back a lot of the fun you are probably looking for.

I quit turning on grindr when riding a long time ago.. My current riding mates are good, they know where my limits are and won't force me into anything they wouldn't do. All the riding around my area would be considered full face helmet territory, the hard part is the climbing, there's shit load of climbing to do and no one wants to do this in a full face. I would consider myself a sensible riding anyways.
I've been considering a hard tail just because of their versatility, they're much more easy to pedal compared to a big all mountain rig which is like riding a pig.

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 23:48 Quote
Can you ride DH slower and safer? Or is that not enough "fun"? Try plus tyres (2.8" is amazingly stable).

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 1:05 Quote
chickenrunz wrote:
Can you ride DH slower and safer? Or is that not enough "fun"? Try plus tyres (2.8" is amazingly stable).

The issue with the trails around my area is if you don't ride with enough speed you'll hang up of rocks or get caught up and crash, I can ride all of my local tracks in control and at moderate speed. I've always found dicking around and jobbing funner than fast high risk riding, that's just my preference though. I'm half considering building up a nukeproof scout 290 with 27.5+ it's definitely a consideration.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 1:43 Quote
29+ DH exists? Sounds like it would suit your trails.

Anyway yeah I'm a total hopeless when trying to shred a straight line, a pebble would shake me off line (2.25). Bought an enduro bike with 2.35, another then 2.4, and my ability to hold a line improved slightly but still going zig zag instead of straight, still getting thrown about by gnarly features. Then discovered magic mary 2.8 addix soft front and rear. Bike now goes straight and no wobbles. These all on 27.5. Oh and I'm 40.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 22:06 Quote
AdamHamzah wrote:

Oh bugger, what track was this on?

Airtearoa at chch adventure park.

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 23:40 Quote
AdamHamzah wrote:
rahrider wrote:
AdamHamzah wrote:

#1 quit strava

I quit turning on grindr when riding a long time ago.. My current riding mates are good, they know where my limits are and won't force me into anything they wouldn't do. All the riding around my area would be considered full face helmet territory, the hard part is the climbing, there's shit load of climbing to do and no one wants to do this in a full face. I would consider myself a sensible riding anyways.
I've been considering a hard tail just because of their versatility, they're much more easy to pedal compared to a big all mountain rig which is like riding a pig.

I can totally appreciate where you are coming from with regards to being scared while riding. When you take care of a couple of MTB related c spine injuries or severe traumas in the ICU as I have, it makes you think twice about the risks you yourself are taking.

The reason I suggested ditching your mates is because they will probably want to keep ridiing the same trails the same way. If you live in the mtb capital of NZ they must have an array of trails. I ride in BC on the north shore, in squamish and whistler and although all spots have some of the hardest trails in the world, you can also find some easier ones.

As for ditching the armour and full FM helmet - it has actually been shown in a study that commuters who ride with helmets ride less safely than those without helmets. I extrapolate the same to different types of protection when riding MTB. Having a hardtail and a lack of protection encourages the rider to contemplate risk differently.

If you are a sensible rider, why are you scared? I guess that is the question to answer.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005660
Mobile Version of Website