How has biking helped you?

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
How has biking helped you?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 29, 2019 at 10:02 Quote
Admin please delete if you think this is inappropriate.

I live in beautiful Rotorua, New Zealand which has some amazing bike trails.

I was wanting to talk to someone to hear their story about how biking has helped with their wellbeing.

My life had become pretty busy and intense recently and I realised I needed to do something for my own mental health and wellbeing so I have decided to give biking a go.

I also decided to start up a Facebook page (I won’t put the Facebook page name because I’m hoping that way this post won’t get deleted) where people from all over the world can share their stories about what they do for their wellbeing in the hopes that it will inspire and encourage others to give things a go. I have had people from USA, UK, Australia, South Africa, Dubai who have sent in their stories about what they do to help with their wellbeing from rock climbing, baking, running, paddle boarding, painting, photography etc.

Is there any body in this group who would be interested in sharing either by video recording, photos with a written account or Skype interview how biking has helped their mental health and wellbeing?

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 9:40 Quote
Back in 2004 I was told I needed a new knee. Then in 2007 I was told I need a hip replacement as well. During my military career I continued to run with bad knees and hip. Well, the day came when the doctor said "No more running for you. Your knees are shot and all your doing is making them worse." I had remembered how much fun riding my MTB was on trails and to work for exercise. I started riding more than just trails.

Now that I'm retired from the military I use riding as a mental health check. Not only am I keeping myself physically active, I take that time out on the gravel roads to think and relax. Sometimes you don't even think, your body just does and you take in the sights, the smells and the fresh air to unwind. I know if I go too long without a ride I get cranky and AGRO.

Oh and we are Cyclist, bikers ride motorcycles. Wink LoL

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 4:05 Quote
Bikes are the freedom I've always wanted, the zen of wrenching my soul desires, and a wonder of engineering to simply appreciate......

2 wheels just work...... I don't care who ya are. It doesn't have to exist on a level like the TT, with a horrific -yet beautiful history - Bikes are as simple as "Well, do ya like it?"

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 12:09 Quote
Maybe not a popular message on a biking forum, but mountain biking is my off-season conditioning. I'm mainly a snowboarder, and have a tendency to put on weight during the summer.

Having said that, mountain biking scratches a lot of the same itches as snowboarding. And because it's fun, I stick with it a lot more dependably than I do gym workouts or jogging.

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 21:32 Quote
Yeah, it definitely helps to fight against my stress level.

Posted: Nov 22, 2023 at 16:01 Quote
Helps me get from A to B as walking is a slow affair, buses tend to go all over the place
to maximise the pick up fairs, plus taking chainsaw on a bus sometimes causes issues : )
I can beat the bus most times anyway on a bike within the city area, no traffic jams, and its cheaper,
my fuel costs are a packet of Brannigans Ham & Pickle crisps and a frusli bar.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009499
Mobile Version of Website