Full Suspension vs. Hardtail vs. Rigid (read first post)

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Full Suspension vs. Hardtail vs. Rigid (read first post)
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 30, 2019 at 21:40 Quote
I know that this is a hot topic, and sorta controversial, but I'm gonna try to do this. I have no super strong prefrences, on what suspension (if any) on my bikes, but I'm sure you guys do. I wanna hear what you guys think! Also, nobody likes getting put down so, please keep the comments kind. P.S. all of you rigid people, I especaly want to hear what you guys think.

Posted: Dec 30, 2019 at 22:14 Quote
hardtails are so fun if you have the right one that suits your style riding and sometimes can take a little more handling skill than a fs bike. a nice nukeproof scout would be badass on the enduro/single trails. full suspension bikes are really fun at bike parks and stuff like that but imo are not needed at 95% of peoples local trails. i personally ride a FS bike and love it but i do find myself missing my hardtail Big Grin

Posted: Dec 30, 2019 at 22:20 Quote
i rode a full sus for 3 years, and it started feeling harsh on a full sus. then I got a Dj hardtail, with a super stiff fork, which is not very forgiving, whenever i get on my full sus, I can't feel a thing. a hardtail made me such a better rider

Posted: Dec 31, 2019 at 10:59 Quote
I would rather too much suspension than not enough. My RM Altitude (160mm front/150mm rear) is like riding a magic carpet over bumps. The Fox Kashima shocks climb great, in fact, the forks are almost locked out in Climb mode but very plush in Decent mode. At 55 years old, I get sore wrists and lower back riding hard on my older Element (80/90mm travel) but not on the Altitude.

Same for my motorcycles, 2005 DRZ400 because it had the best suspension for a street legal dirt bike back then. Recently bought a KTM 790R (for suspension, engine, and electronics).

My vote: get the best full suspension you can afford. You can always lock the shocks if you want to “feel” the bumps.

Posted: Dec 31, 2019 at 13:46 Quote
Hardtail for local trails here in the uk, and for winter riding. Got to be steel or titanium though to get the best frame feel, and for my 40 year old bones to cope with it.

Summertime I'll ride a trail fs bike or my nomad depending on where i go. All my bikes are set up similar. Flat pedals, long fork and big aggressive tyres.

Never considered rigid for mountainbiking.

Posted: Dec 31, 2019 at 13:57 Quote
my dad rides a rigid, somehow. it is retro tho

Posted: Dec 31, 2019 at 14:04 Quote
It is a thing, however I am puzzled on how people would want that over a hardtail. Maybe we could get a rigider to speak in this thread?

Posted: Dec 31, 2019 at 14:17 Quote
I just looked at this Jenson USA article: https://blog.jensonusa.com/5-reasons-to-ride-a-rigid-bike/
Maybe it isn’t such a bad idea after all. I like the idea as a training bike fork, but once you get into racing, I think you are better off with suspension. This got me thinking: are there full suspension bikes with rigid forks. I don’t know why I thought of that, but it turns out there is! Crazy huh? If you google: “rigid full suspension bike” The first thing that pops up, is a full suspension specialized epic, with a niner rigid fork! Now I’m curious about this whole trend.

Posted: Dec 31, 2019 at 14:37 Quote
based off my experience, a hrsher bike is great training for when you get on a more forgiving bike

Posted: Dec 31, 2019 at 15:08 Quote
Yeah I agree, however, I would assume, that a rigid bike would be very different compared to a full suspension bike in ways other than the suspension. When a bike with suspension goes up and down, to absorb shock, it will (slightly for hardtail, or more extreme for full suspension) change the bikes geometry. This can greatly effect how the bike functions, from my experience. There is a new feature on some rear shocks now, were you can choose the sag, and have it lock out at that sag, for longer travel full suspension bikes, if you take a bit of air out, get on, and then lock out, you’re riding a Harley Davidson, while if you set the sag to 0% and lock out, you’re riding a full suspension OTB machine.

Posted: Dec 31, 2019 at 15:51 Quote
yeah agreed, if you take a front hit, the nose will go down, making the back less high in camparison, and so on

Posted: Dec 31, 2019 at 16:03 Quote
there should be some sort of "future technology" bike thats geomtry is not atered by suspnsion flex. in DH specifically, it would be very helpful.

Posted: Dec 31, 2019 at 17:46 Quote
im going to look into rigid forks now

Posted: Dec 31, 2019 at 22:43 Quote
what about a DH rigid fork, with a locked out rear shock on a specialized demo race 29. (for training of course) now thats crazy!

Posted: Jan 1, 2020 at 12:33 Quote
I'm not a fan of the disconnected feel that mid/long travel fs gives you. I'm fine up to 100/120mm of rear suspension, but both my rides are ht's. Rigid... maybe as a 3rd or 4th bike to add some variety. I actually know of a place with slow tech that might be fun on a rigid ss.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010211
Mobile Version of Website