Town in the Alps to spend a month in summer?

PB Forum :: Europe
Town in the Alps to spend a month in summer?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 1, 2020 at 9:59 Quote
Looking for a recommendation of a good place to bike in the Alps for a month in the summer. Would like a town where we don't need a car and can ride to several trail systems from town (or take public transit). I would prefer trails with no lift access or at least a place with more than just lift access as we prefer more cross country riding as opposed to just DH. I would be coming with my family and would prefer to stay in one place for the whole month. Does something like this exist? Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

O+
Posted: Jan 5, 2020 at 4:50 Quote
Austria, saalbach hinterglem
France, portes du soleil

Posted: Jan 5, 2020 at 8:24 Quote
graduzzi wrote:
Austria, saalbach hinterglem
France, portes du soleil
Thanks! I'll look into these places.

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 6:40 Quote
There a lot more places in The Alps!

FL
Posted: Feb 5, 2020 at 11:02 Quote
Morzine is probably the best mtb season town in the Alps.

Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 5:14 Quote
A lot of those towns are rather small. Might get boring with a family. Something like Finale Ligure would be nice, to have a beach as well. But middle of summer might be to hot! Good for later in season. And depending if you like more or less bikers/action: check the date of the Enduro races there and avoid them or go see them.

There are plenty of shuttle operators, a lot of single trails focussing on DH or enduro, but they can point you to XC rounds as well. Or just bike up yourself.

Posted: Apr 18, 2020 at 14:10 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
A lot of those towns are rather small. Might get boring with a family. Something like Finale Ligure would be nice, to have a beach as well. But middle of summer might be to hot! Good for later in season. And depending if you like more or less bikers/action: check the date of the Enduro races there and avoid them or go see them.

There are plenty of shuttle operators, a lot of single trails focussing on DH or enduro, but they can point you to XC rounds as well. Or just bike up yourself.

Thank you! Because of COVID, looks like our summer plans will change. Instead we're looking at March-May 2021 instead so a warmer place in that timeframe may actually be a better choice.

Posted: Apr 18, 2020 at 15:02 Quote
kirsteninsteamboat wrote:
Grumposaur wrote:

Thank you! Because of COVID, looks like our summer plans will change. Instead we're looking at March-May 2021 instead so a warmer place in that timeframe may actually be a better choice.
That is killing everyone's season.

March is ski season in the Alpes! Normally the first things to have lift access and open for bikers are in April in North Italy. But last year at 12 may I had 2" snow at the first 300m of track in Fai dell Paganella.

Andalo-Molveno-Fai dell Paganella is also quit cool, but small towns, but Molveno has a lake and nice beach/park. not sure about XC routes, but they must be there. I go there for Enduro.

But this March was super in Innsbruck, although we had to stay inside....But previous season there was snow outside the trails till June in Leogang.

Another nice spot is the North side of Lake Garda: The towns Riva of Torbole (or Arco but that isn't lake side). Various XC, enduro and DH routes, with or without shuttle buses. Normally they have the yearly bike festival there in May. Bike fair, races etc.

No clue how you are planning to travel because you said no car. But if you can get there, you don't really need a car: there are various local bus travel agencies where you can book day trips to Venice, Verona etc.
And you can walk along the lake from Torbole to Riva.

Or just go Azores. Smile

Posted: Apr 22, 2020 at 7:42 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
kirsteninsteamboat wrote:
Grumposaur wrote:

That is killing everyone's season.

March is ski season in the Alpes! Normally the first things to have lift access and open for bikers are in April in North Italy. But last year at 12 may I had 2" snow at the first 300m of track in Fai dell Paganella.

Andalo-Molveno-Fai dell Paganella is also quit cool, but small towns, but Molveno has a lake and nice beach/park. not sure about XC routes, but they must be there. I go there for Enduro.

But this March was super in Innsbruck, although we had to stay inside....But previous season there was snow outside the trails till June in Leogang.

Another nice spot is the North side of Lake Garda: The towns Riva of Torbole (or Arco but that isn't lake side). Various XC, enduro and DH routes, with or without shuttle buses. Normally they have the yearly bike festival there in May. Bike fair, races etc.

No clue how you are planning to travel because you said no car. But if you can get there, you don't really need a car: there are various local bus travel agencies where you can book day trips to Venice, Verona etc.
And you can walk along the lake from Torbole to Riva.

Or just go Azores. Smile

I'll check into these other recommendations. However, after you suggested Finale Ligure and I checked it out, I'm in love! I'm not sure I will find a better spot with that much riding especially in March-May. I also like the size of the town. It's really perfect and what I've been looking for. Thanks again!

FL
Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 5:54 Quote
Absolutely Riva del Garda in the Lake Garda area. Hundreds of natural trails around and some bike park (Paganella bike park, Bike park Val di sole, Bike park Canazei). Riva del Garda and Torbole are well-known destinations for bikers. The two villages are only 2 km away and have every service for bikers: shops, hotels, shuttles. But the area is a real paradise for many sportsmen: windsurfing, climbing, canyoning, paragliding. If you have to stay a month this can be the ideal base for different alpine destinations.
In addition, the area has many quiet places for walks by the lake, lovely towns (Malcesine, Lemon, Salò, Sirmione to give an example) so if the family is also made up of children or elderly everyone can enjoy the holiday while tackling the trails.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021002
Mobile Version of Website