Ditching the Knock Bloc

PB Forum :: Trek
Ditching the Knock Bloc
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 2, 2020 at 18:24 Quote
Anyone tried successfully removing the knock bloc and replacing with a standard headset? Or even better, replacing with an angleset? If so, what level of success did you have? What are the specific bearing sizes (top and bottom)?

I understand the risk but I'm willing to take the chance ... I just want to slacken out my HA and install a 10mm longer fork.

Posted: Jan 3, 2020 at 7:52 Quote
I have a 2019 Fuel ex+ 27.5. I put a cane creek helm fork up from and set the travel at 160mm which is 20mm more than the prior rockshox recon had. Zero issues. This slackened the heat tube angle slightly more than a degree and I measured it at 65.5 and it’s fantastic. Do it.

Posted: Jan 3, 2020 at 9:31 Quote
Bimmer28 wrote:
I have a 2019 Fuel ex+ 27.5. I put a cane creek helm fork up from and set the travel at 160mm which is 20mm more than the prior rockshox recon had. Zero issues. This slackened the heat tube angle slightly more than a degree and I measured it at 65.5 and it’s fantastic. Do it.

That was my plan also, but I don't want to slacken out the seat tube, so was hoping to counteract the longer fork/slacker HA impact on the ST with the angleset.

Posted: Jan 3, 2020 at 9:34 Quote
Well the fork will maybe clear the downtube with angleset. If not I think you can space out the bottom cup to move the crown a little lower.

Just figure out the diameter of your steer tube and get angleset that fits.

Posted: Jan 4, 2020 at 2:32 Quote
shorelocal wrote:
Bimmer28 wrote:

That was my plan also, but I don't want to slacken out the seat tube, so was hoping to counteract the longer fork/slacker HA impact on the ST with the angleset.

Steep seat tube is overrated..just pedal up lol.

Posted: Jan 10, 2020 at 10:38 Quote
shorelocal wrote:
Anyone tried successfully removing the knock bloc and replacing with a standard headset? Or even better, replacing with an angleset? If so, what level of success did you have? What are the specific bearing sizes (top and bottom)?

I understand the risk but I'm willing to take the chance ... I just want to slacken out my HA and install a 10mm longer fork.

Just wanted to jump in here. We don't advise an Angleset HS with the Knock Block HS as the two would not interface. Removing the Knock Block is also not a good idea since you risk the fork crown hitting the frame. If you are just trying to run your own stem, purchase the Knock Block Lockring Spacer (545523) and put it at the bottom of your stack and throw your stem of choice on top.

-Mitch

Posted: Jan 10, 2020 at 10:54 Quote
trek wrote:
shorelocal wrote:

Just wanted to jump in here. We don't advise an Angleset HS with the Knock Block HS as the two would not interface. Removing the Knock Block is also not a good idea since you risk the fork crown hitting the frame. If you are just trying to run your own stem, purchase the Knock Block Lockring Spacer (545523) and put it at the bottom of your stack and throw your stem of choice on top.

-Mitch

You know, Mr Trek-Guy-Mitch, maybe getting rid of the obnoxious Knock Block is actually his goal. I know it prevented me from buying a Trek this last time around.

I do very much appreciate Trek being active on this forum, and that certainly gets back some of the good will lost through the knock block.

Posted: Jan 10, 2020 at 10:58 Quote
Thanks all. Turns out there isn't an adjustable angle headset available for integrated headtubes anyways, regardless of the knock block. Back to the drawing board.

Posted: Jan 10, 2020 at 11:15 Quote
Explodo wrote:
trek wrote:
shorelocal wrote:

-Mitch
Mr Trek-Guy-Mitch.

This nickname works - I'm also Mitch@Trek everywhere else, but for Pinkbike, I'm just Trek.

Happy to help out though!

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 13:18 Quote
Explodo wrote:

that certainly gets back some of the good will lost through the knock block.

Because they made knock block in bad faith right? Lmao

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004932
Mobile Version of Website