Ditching the Knock Bloc

PB Forum :: Trek
Ditching the Knock Bloc
Posted: Mar 3, 2023 at 23:35 Quote
Knock Block Delete

First test this appears to hold stronger than the stem. I will get some real numbers with a torque wrench soon.
These will be anodized black. Still working on finishing the single stack version.
Let me know what you guys think!

Posted: Mar 8, 2023 at 3:07 Quote
Nice!

IP90 wrote:
Knock Block Delete

First test this appears to hold stronger than the stem. I will get some real numbers with a torque wrench soon.
These will be anodized black. Still working on finishing the single stack version.
Let me know what you guys think!

Posted: Mar 10, 2023 at 20:27 Quote
Nice. Probably want a solution that replaces the three 10mm Spacers on my Slash. Or maybe these work with existing trek spacers?

Posted: Mar 15, 2023 at 19:30 Quote
Mrhaboobi wrote:
Nice. Probably want a solution that replaces the three 10mm Spacers on my Slash. Or maybe these work with existing trek spacers?

If you run my 2 bolt system it should eliminate the need for the spacers. However, you can still use the Trek OE spaces if you are still using the original stem that has the notches built into it.

If you want to use a aftermarket stem (Industry Nine is my favorite), you will be able to use any standard (non knock block) spacers if needed at all. As soon as I have these completed from production I will post some better pictures and specs.
Stay tuned and thank you for the interest...

Posted: Mar 18, 2023 at 10:50 Quote
photo

Successful test fit on the Rail! A bunch more rotation holding power than the low grade stock system.
I have the double bolt system at anodizing and single bolt are not far behind.
Thanks for following!

Posted: Mar 23, 2023 at 21:53 Quote
Hey guys,
I just got the 2 bolt units back from anodizing.
Sneak peak photo.
The 2x bolt unit will take up less than 1 inch (.985) of steerer tube.
Working up a torque spec and packaging in next week or so then I will share a link to get yours!
photo

Posted: Apr 1, 2023 at 18:30 Quote
Anyone looking for a locking collar to improve or replace the Trek Knock Block stem/spacers see below link.
These are fresh out of a Made in USA machine shop and test fitted on several Trek bikes.
I was able to get as much strength using the 2 bolt system with my Industry 9 stem as I got with the Trek OE stem.
I created a little install video with link below if you want a closer look. Sorry for terrible music. Microsoft doesn't have a great free selection in their movie maker. LOL

Thank you everyone for following! Hope this helps your build like it did for me. Please let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204292374170
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhDCsP8qRRg&t

#MadeInUSA
#MTB
#BilletAluminum

Posted: Apr 4, 2023 at 14:42 Quote
Looks awesome. Going to grab one to New Zealand Smile . Hoping the spacers are the same outer diameter as the coc block Smile . If not can you make a set the same? I hate it when my spacer dont line up flush Smile

Posted: Apr 4, 2023 at 15:54 Quote
Mrhaboobi wrote:
Looks awesome. Going to grab one to New Zealand Smile . Hoping the spacers are the same outer diameter as the coc block Smile . If not can you make a set the same? I hate it when my spacer dont line up flush Smile

Spacers are such a common marketplace part I haven't made them yet... If these sell well I will add them next run though. Thank you for the feedback! I will post a few photos to show the spacer to COC block alignment.

Posted: Apr 23, 2023 at 19:58 Quote
Just got my knock block coc block locks from huckleberry. ( say that fast 10 times ).

First thing to say is they are top notch quality. I expected a rougher finish but these are an almost perfect match finish wise to the trek knockblock spacers. They feel solid aswell and right away you get the sense that they are going to lock on well.. the original trek spacers fit perfectly aswell into the slots if you need to extend the stem height. If you are super pedantic the trek spacers are maybe a tiny bit glossier but really a very close match.

The included spacer is a different ( smaller ) diameter to the knock block spacers and as I’m anal about a smooth stem line I didn’t use those and reverted to the trek originals. This would be one area I’d improve . Make the spacers the same diameter. But that’s a very minor gripe and doesn’t detract in anyway from what the locking ring is actually designed to do.

So does it work ?? Hell yes. With my old set up I could twist the bars beyond the frame . Not with this beast. I’m using similar torque to the trek locking ring at the moment but I feel you need to adjust that based on your set up. I started low and tightened until it felt good making sure to not really exceed the trek knock lock ring suggested torque.

Both the single and double coc blocks are taller than the equivalent trek spaces. Pics included. This worked for me as my stem was lower profile ( deity ). So I could keep the stem up high with minimal space on top for the stem cap to sit. The double coc block was 25mm. Two trek spacers were 20mm so a 5mm difference there. For the single coc block it was a 2.5mm difference.

So I’m really happy . Quality product. Quick international shipping. And most importantly it works which is more than can be said about the trek equivalent.

Buy this coc block if you want to change your stem and still want the Knock block feature. !!

Awesome job huckleberry!! Primo product .

I’ll try and add some photos too.

Posted: May 23, 2023 at 23:58 Quote
Has anyone ordered one of these from the UK yet?

I'm really keen to buy one on Ebay. But don't want to get stung for taxes, duties etc. Once they bang those charges on the UK couriers put on an additional (exorbitant) fee which would make things uneconomical. I see on Ebay it states 'Price displayed includes VAT' but UK customs tend to be a law unto themselves and are very inconsistent so you never know.

Last time I got stung it was to the point where the items had to go back to the sender. I just don't want to go through that again.

Posted: Jun 2, 2023 at 16:27 Quote
Just wanted another compliment to Huckleberry’s Coc Block. I just received mine a couple of days ago and it’s light years better than Trek’s version. I never experienced any failures in the knock block until I went digging to see if there had been and I was surprised to see how many had failed. So when researching a better solution I found a post to the eBay listing so I gave it a shot and was happy that I did. The single bolt adapter from Trek seemed good enough at 2nm but the double bolted Coc Block at 8nm hold like a rock and doesn’t have that additional little slop the factory spacer has. For anyone on the fence I wouldn’t hesitate to toss one of these on.

As Mrhaboobi mentioned the Coc Block is a little larger than the spacer that sits on top so that would be my only complaint and honestly it’s not even a a legitimate complaint rather than simple aesthetics, so well done lad!!

Posted: Jun 9, 2023 at 8:25 Quote
For anyone interested, I have just posted a full independent review of Huckleberry's COC block here.

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=245732&pagenum=1#commentid7196196

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.031605
Mobile Version of Website