Disc rotor cleaning

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Disc rotor cleaning
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 3, 2020 at 17:53 Quote
My disc rotor is in need of a clean and I don’t have any special cleaner, is simple green safe to use to clean it? What are the best cleaning methods for disc rotors?

Posted: Jan 3, 2020 at 20:47 Quote
i use brake cleaner from the department store. works well

Posted: Jan 3, 2020 at 21:04 Quote
I use isopropyl alcohol to clean rotors, leaves no residue.

Posted: Jan 3, 2020 at 21:05 Quote
i us3ed to use that

Posted: Jan 4, 2020 at 1:00 Quote
Wishiwasbiking wrote:
I use isopropyl alcohol to clean rotors, leaves no residue.

^^^ This, or Acetone.

Posted: Jan 4, 2020 at 7:34 Quote
yeah, pair that with some sandpaper to get that disc fresh, you'll be good

FL
Posted: Jan 4, 2020 at 10:40 Quote
Brakleen or carb cleaner

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 14:51 Quote
I use muc off brake cleaner for discs and pads! Works great!

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 14:37 Quote
Have a look at Jared graves instagram, he's doing a pro tip Tuesday thing, today's one is on cleaning rotors. Sounds like he's a fan of dish washing detergent https://www.instagram.com/p/B7AZmpijCPi/?igshid=uc0n4jtfvjyq

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 15:11 Quote
All disc cleaners fall into one of the following categories:

• Solvent: acetone
• Solvent: volatile organic
• Solvent: alcohol
• Detergent

Acetone is the most effective and less toxic than volatile organics - especially halogenated hydrocarbons. If you don't feel like picking up some acetone from a hardware store, nail polish remover works fine. Stop buying the same thing in a fancy spray can for several times the price.

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 18:08 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
All disc cleaners fall into one of the following categories:

• Solvent: acetone
• Solvent: volatile organic
• Solvent: alcohol
• Detergent

Acetone is the most effective and less toxic than volatile organics - especially halogenated hydrocarbons. If you don't feel like picking up some acetone from a hardware store, nail polish remover works fine. Stop buying the same thing in a fancy spray can for several times the price.

SMART MAN !!! I just steel my wife's rubbing alcohol Smile

Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 1:55 Quote
So do people routinely clean their rotors?
I only clean them if say, something gets dragged in to the caliper like a green leaf or maybe tyre sealant etc.
Other than that, I never touch them.

Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 2:22 Quote
Regular cleaning is not needed. I wouldn't worry about that leaf, but contact with sealant or any oils warrants a cleaning.

Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 3:52 Quote
Maverick-dm wrote:
So do people routinely clean their rotors?
I only clean them if say, something gets dragged in to the caliper like a green leaf or maybe tyre sealant etc.
Other than that, I never touch them.
I clean them only when changing pads to be sure that they are grease free. Otherwise if they work, why bother cleaning them? Big Grin

FL
Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 8:18 Quote
It's definitely worth cleaning the rotors if you change pad compound. I've suffered with horrendous howling brakes for the last few months in wet and dry conditions and finally got round to changing the pads and cleaning the rotors last week.
I used normal car brake cleaning spray and a very rough piece of sandpaper and now have no problems.
I think it could have been because I'd used resin pads and changed to sintered and not cleaned them properly.

Lesson learned!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009141
Mobile Version of Website