Ibis S35 wheels

• Next Page
O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 20:18 Quote
I've had my 29" carbon s35 wheels with logo hubs for about a year on my Ripmo. They're wonderful. Not too stiff. They've just faded into the background and I never think about them. I used to have a set of Enve 70 thirty HVs on my last bike, which were too stiff.

The only issue I've had was a broken rear spoke. LBS repaired for $35. I have the new microspline driver for XT. 10 degree engagement is adequate.

My question is... Which Cush Core should I run? The + says it's for rims bigger than 32mm. Anyone have any experience with these rims and Cush Core?

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 21:30 Quote
I'm running S35 alloy wheels with Maxxis Minion DHR II 29x2.40WT tires front and rear on a hardtail (Chameleon 7C). Riding at 20 PSI rear and 19 PSI front. Haven't had any issues. Corning isn't as good as my Hightower V2 running 30mm inner width wheels on Maxxis Assegai 29x2.50WT front and Maxxis Minion DHR II 29x2.40WT rear, but that's mostly because the geometry is less slacker on my Chameleon. Still, I've put over 50 miles of trail riding on the S35 wheels and they are doing great. Wish the "logo" hubs had more engagement points, though.

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 16:07 Quote
I ended up doing Stans Sentry rims 32.0mm IW with 2.5WT's and LOVE the cornering grip. Still a bit gun shy on the 35...? On the flip side there are TON's of S35's in the wild and they're obviously not blowing up every 5 seconds because they don't have enough tire mushrooming over to protect the rim?

I was hoping that a carbon version of the sentry would have come out by now. I ran the 2.5WT's on 30IW and you can see the difference in the tire profile. And I never "felt" as confident in the corners with them? But the Sentry's are somewhat heavy, not a deal breaker by any means. I had them built up with CXrays and Alu nipples to try and offset some of the weight. BUT, I'd like to get some carbon hoops next season and it seems like there is the same gap for the most part between 30 and 35.

I'm thinking the crank bros Synthesis wheels would be worth checking out. (expensive though) 31.5 front. Or noble has their older rim design with a 32 IW, or their newer styles where they copied/came up with the same idea as crank bros but just do 30 back and 31 front. So that is a solid option, just that their 32 IW rim doesn't have all the new tech their new rim design has...?

anyway, I've run the 32 IW sentries on a Sentinel and the front wheel on my mullet honzo and sure dig that rim width, especially on the front. Both of those bikes really carve well and it's just that much better with the wider rims/tires...

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 15:24 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
stiingya wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:

Stans does make a 35mm ID wheel, it’s called the Baron CB7

Thanks! Then I guess it's interesting that I haven't seen it as a build option in any of the places I've been looking yet. But maybe just availability??

Thanks again...

Yep they are probably not widely available yet. S35s have been hard to come by, ibis is not even selling them directly to consumers as they have no surplus but you can snag them as hoops to be built or occasionally some big box sites have them.
Keep in mind the Baron cb7 is the same wheel as the s35 but the ibis branded hoop is $100 cheaper.

I'm trying to find an Ibis S35 XD freehub driver right now for a secondhand wheelset I recently bought. Turns out this is a very scarce thing to find right now as Ibis have run out of stock and no second hand sellers either, which is rather frustrating!
However I thought I would post a few findings for anyone also on the hunt for an XD for S35 in the future, I emailed Stans about this potential shared compatibility with the Baron CB7, there response was

'We did work with Ibis on developing our newer asymmetric rims (and helped them with their tubeless designs), but they are different wheels. Our hub parts are only designed to fit our hubs and unfortunately will not work in an Ibis hub.'

Theres also a shimano freehub for S35s on fleabay right now and the seller mentioned cross compatibility with Superstar Components, in an email with them again rejected this as being highly improbable. They said it does resemble their freehub called a V6/V3 but likelihood of a fit is slim.

Have asked Ibis about possible cross compatibility that they know of but no response yet,

The quest continues...almost making me think I should go for the shimano as there is no ETA for more at the moment!

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 17:53 Quote
Knowble wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:
stiingya wrote:

Thanks! Then I guess it's interesting that I haven't seen it as a build option in any of the places I've been looking yet. But maybe just availability??

Thanks again...

Yep they are probably not widely available yet. S35s have been hard to come by, ibis is not even selling them directly to consumers as they have no surplus but you can snag them as hoops to be built or occasionally some big box sites have them.
Keep in mind the Baron cb7 is the same wheel as the s35 but the ibis branded hoop is $100 cheaper.

I'm trying to find an Ibis S35 XD freehub driver right now for a secondhand wheelset I recently bought. Turns out this is a very scarce thing to find right now as Ibis have run out of stock and no second hand sellers either, which is rather frustrating!
However I thought I would post a few findings for anyone also on the hunt for an XD for S35 in the future, I emailed Stans about this potential shared compatibility with the Baron CB7, there response was

'We did work with Ibis on developing our newer asymmetric rims (and helped them with their tubeless designs), but they are different wheels. Our hub parts are only designed to fit our hubs and unfortunately will not work in an Ibis hub.'

Theres also a shimano freehub for S35s on fleabay right now and the seller mentioned cross compatibility with Superstar Components, in an email with them again rejected this as being highly improbable. They said it does resemble their freehub called a V6/V3 but likelihood of a fit is slim.

Have asked Ibis about possible cross compatibility that they know of but no response yet,

The quest continues...almost making me think I should go for the shimano as there is no ETA for more at the moment!

Hmm I might have a freehub laying around. I'll let you know when I get into work tomorrow.

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 17:56 Quote
Knowble wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:
stiingya wrote:

Thanks again...

hmm nvm, just saw your in another country, not sure how bad shipping would be on that.

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 22:05 Quote
Man, I think this is a sign that you need to pursue an upgrade to the i9 hydra rear hub. It's the only rational move. We're in a pandemic and dramatic measures are required to get you back on the trail.

My logo hub failed spectacularly on the trail one day. Replaced it with a hydra. The engagement is bananas.

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 6:51 Quote
50105010 wrote:
Man, I think this is a sign that you need to pursue an upgrade to the i9 hydra rear hub. It's the only rational move. We're in a pandemic and dramatic measures are required to get you back on the trail.

My logo hub failed spectacularly on the trail one day. Replaced it with a hydra. The engagement is bananas.

Hey cheers, yeh Ibis got back to me and found a last XD driver! So all is saved, after a week or twos journey across the Atlantic. I like your thinking though, dramatic times require dramatic action, the plan is to blast the secondhand logo wheels on jumps anyway, so I will try harder to create the apocalyptic conditions suitable for a hub blow out and eventually find the grail like conclusion of an i9 hydra. I do have hope 4 hubs on my 29ers though... which has the best engagement ? I'm now curious!

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 10:54 Quote
50105010 wrote:

I ditched my logo hub for a Hydra before it had the opportunity to explode. Worth it lol

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 18:35 Quote
Knowble wrote:
50105010 wrote:

Hey cheers, yeh Ibis got back to me and found a last XD driver! So all is saved, after a week or twos journey across the Atlantic. I like your thinking though, dramatic times require dramatic action, the plan is to blast the secondhand logo wheels on jumps anyway, so I will try harder to create the apocalyptic conditions suitable for a hub blow out and eventually find the grail like conclusion of an i9 hydra. I do have hope 4 hubs on my 29ers though... which has the best engagement ? I'm now curious!

The Hope pro 4 hub is great. I ordered a custom wheelset with those but never rode them. I had some real first world problems back then.

Being an engineer, I went with the hydra hubs because they are designed to engage poorly at the beginning of power application and will progressively deform to increase points of engagement as you mash harder and harder on them. I think that's a whole lot more functional than something that's perfectly optimized at zero load and then experiences degradation as load increases. This is the manner in which my logo hubs failed. The hydras seemed to be a good antidote

I did run into a weird problem with the rebuild. My builder reused the original spokes because they seemed to be the right length. They also used aluminum nipples instead of brass. This led to a weird problem where the nipples kept shearing off. I lost probably four spokes and nipples before we figured out that the spokes were 1mm too short.

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 19:06 Quote
50105010 wrote:
Being an engineer, I went with the hydra hubs because they are designed to engage poorly at the beginning of power application and will progressively deform to increase points of engagement as you mash harder and harder on them. I think that's a whole lot more functional than something that's perfectly optimized at zero load and then experiences degradation as load increases.

Just to clarify: the situations you described are correct only when some pawls fail to engage. When all pawls engage properly, as is normally the case, both designs are fully and properly engaged and there is no degradation of the interface with increasing pressure.

The ratchet tooth spacing of the Hydra is so close that if one or two pawls fail to engage, the system can bend far enough to engage the next tooth over without disengaging the pawl(s) that initially engaged.

A driver with coarser tooth spacing cannot flex far enough to engage the next tooth, so the engaged pawl is likely to disengage under pressure, usually resulting in damage to the pawl and/or the drive ring.

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 20:40 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Just to clarify: the situations you described are correct only when some pawls fail to engage. When all pawls engage properly, as is normally the case, both designs are fully and properly engaged and there is no degradation of the interface with increasing pressure.

The ratchet tooth spacing of the Hydra is so close that if one or two pawls fail to engage, the system can bend far enough to engage the next tooth over without disengaging the pawl(s) that initially engaged.

A driver with coarser tooth spacing cannot flex far enough to engage the next tooth, so the engaged pawl is likely to disengage under pressure, usually resulting in damage to the pawl and/or the drive ring.

Exactly. When freewheeling a hydra each pawl is clicking at a different time, which is why it sounds so wild. I wonder how they achieved this though? My guess is the pawl holders in the freehub body are all different distances apart. Certainly they wouldn't make pawls different lengths since that doesn't make sense from a servicing standpoint. Pretty slick!

Posted: Mar 9, 2021 at 1:51 Quote
Wait ... I was mistaken about the I9 Hydra design.

I thought the all pawls were intended to engage simultaneously with the Hydra, but if that didn't happen, it would just flex such that others would engage.

Instead, it's designed for only one to initially engage - this would normally be the worst case scenario for other hubs - then flex until others engage. What I thought was the "fail safe mode" is actually the intended mode of operation.

photo

O+
Posted: Nov 28, 2022 at 9:04 Quote
If you are looking to buy these, they are onsite for 300 (discount coupons can be used too) at the pros closet... https://www.theproscloset.com/products/ibis-s35-alloy-27-5-wheelset-xd

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013264
Mobile Version of Website