QL (quadratus lumborum) spasms.

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
QL (quadratus lumborum) spasms.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 5, 2020 at 10:16 Quote
Does anyone have any experience with releasing tension and/or spasms with your QL muscles.

I get plagued with back ache when sitting in general and especially riding up hill.
I'm fairly confident it's not a bike fit issue as I feel really comfortable until I've been riding a couple of hours. Plus I get it in various other scenarios ie driving, sitting at a table etc. Its worse while cycling and driving though.

I've had it for years and can never get a permanent solution to it.

I've tried all the usual stretches and osteopaths etc but to know avail.

My current theory is that my psoas is short and tight ( through excess sitting/ pedalling) and this is giving me lordosis and creating excess tension in my QL but getting permanent relief seems impossible.

Just putting this out in the hope that others may have found a cure or relief to something similar.

Thanks.

O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 14:03 Quote
Hi Maverick,

I see you posted this earlier this year and no one has responded. Have you found a solution yet? Your narrowing down of possible causation sounds plausible, but let's see if we can take a deeper dive into what might be going on. When I think of QL spasm my initial thought goes to a potential breathing pattern disruption. Especially if you're feeling this a couple hours into a ride. You mentioned trying some of the usual routes, so I'll list a few that are not so common. If you haven't tried this, I'd be curious to hear your experience with them.

1. Prone breathing practice
2. Cat-Cow breathing
3. Tall kneeling pelvic circles and figure of 8s
4. In your climbing position, could you potential be clenching and bracing yourself in a way that is hindering functional/optimal breathing

2 & 3 - could potentially help with the observed shortness hip flexors causing lordosis.

I hope these are thought provoking.

Cheers,
Daniel

Posted: Mar 20, 2020 at 17:16 Quote
Late to the chat but I figured why not, we're all in isolation.

Core stability and glute activation should help with it. Try doing essential core work as well as some dynamic stretching. I deal with low back pain due to a bad hip and it is a game changer when you stabilize your core. If you want a basic routine to follow try this:

Plank bird dog- 2x10

Plank to quadruped- 2x10

Down dog to updog- 2x10

Russian twists- 2x10

Glute bridge march- 2x10

Straight leg raise- 2x10

Supermans- 2x10

Cobra lifts- 2x10

Stretch every day, it's always stretch o'clock. Do those stretches you've been told to do before, they work when you respect the process. If you have any questions I'm happy to chat.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 9:13 Quote
Also late to the chat, and these are all great suggestions (breathing mechanics and core strength), but what can also be helpful to create a better window within which to do these exercises without reverting to your QL pattern (overusing your QL in place of insufficient core, gluts, hip flexors etc.) is to see a physical therapist to see if IMS (dry needling) your QL would be appopriate to relax it first.
IMS uses acupuncture needles to basically shut down and reset an overworking muscle (trigger point).

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010134
Mobile Version of Website