The downhillers 29'er Enduro choice - Help me pick my 2020 bike (Frame only)

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
The downhillers 29'er Enduro choice - Help me pick my 2020 bike (Frame only)
| Next Page
Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 16:19 Quote
Brasher wrote:

I can get a new xl carbine for $2k sans shock.

Can also get a meta AM 29 without shock for same price. So these 2 are in the lead. A mate has a push 11-6 in 230x60 I can get for a moderate deal too hence these two very much peaking my interest.

How do you like the rear suspension on the intense? I’ve never ridden one, from my reading the rear suspension has a good pedal platform then comes regressive then to progressive? That’s a lot going on and I’m sort of tentative about going to a bike with a rear and like that.

The commencal is built like a tank, smooth progressive kinematic and a bit of a magic carpet ride which is what I’m after. The price brand new with warranty is very good and the Aus distributor is 45 mins away. It’s the logical choice at the moment but the intense really has peaked my interest.

As for the clash and torque, I have a lot of very good 29er parts. I do love a mullet bike (I converted my Ebike) food for thought.

I demo'd a Meta 29, (didn't do a full suspension setup) didn't like it at all, too heavy, didn't jump well and the geo didn't fill me with confidence.

The Carbine VPP rear is great, I upgraded to a super deluxe and struggle to bottom it out even on 6-8 foot drops to flat (progressive end as per design) If your going to use a Push 11 coil it will suit the Carbine down to the ground. I'm 100kg too btw

The Carbine is nearly a kg lighter too

Good NZ based review here...
https://nzmountainbiker.com/products-reviews/2018/2/27/review-intense-carbine

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 21:28 Quote
The Nukeproof Mega 290 is also viable.

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 3:46 Quote
Pole Evolink 158? I've only tried out the Evolink 140 but it wasn't that far from the Stamina 180 I've demoed. Both are way more dh-ish than other long-travel 29ers I've tried (Pivot Firebird, Megatower, Spartan, Slash).

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 0:36 Quote
Well for those wondering.

Today I bought a 2020 meta am frameset in the cool “world championship” paint scheme. Was the only frameset in Aus in large so I thought that was cool.

I’ve paired it up with a fox dhx2 and will order a MRP Progressive spring for it.

I test rode the meta and it was super nimble but most importantly the rear suspension was so nice. Supple but still had fantastic bottom out support. (Had a very basic dpx2)

I’m very excited to build it up. Still need a dropper post.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 9:30 Quote
agrr
richulr wrote:
Brand x

agreed

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 11:28 Quote
Nice choice. Hope the build goes smoothly.

+1 on the brand x post.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 14:47 Quote
I had a brand x on my stumpy and it was awesome. However I think I’ll try the one up 180mm. Seems to be a good compromise in value, height and a low insertion length for a big drop. The meta doesn’t have the longest seat tube.

Posted: Jan 10, 2020 at 6:27 Quote
Currently own a Stumpjumper Evo, but getting that I was an inch away from buying a Meta AM 29 at Commencal's showroom store in Andorra. In the end the less progressive geometry got me at bay, as did the press fit BB.

Would love to hear a VS from you once you get more miles on the Meta

Posted: Jan 10, 2020 at 6:59 Quote
Brasher wrote:
I had a brand x on my stumpy and it was awesome. However I think I’ll try the one up 180mm. Seems to be a good compromise in value, height and a low insertion length for a big drop. The meta doesn’t have the longest seat tube.

I'm going to buying a 180mm oneup v2 next month. Let me know how you get on with it!

Posted: Jan 10, 2020 at 16:05 Quote
Arierep wrote:
Currently own a Stumpjumper Evo, but getting that I was an inch away from buying a Meta AM 29 at Commencal's showroom store in Andorra. In the end the less progressive geometry got me at bay, as did the press fit BB.

Would love to hear a VS from you once you get more miles on the Meta

On paper the stumpy evo is the best thing since sliced bread. I bought it because of the Geometry alone. I come from a downhill background, all these trail bikes feel skittish and small to me but the stumpy on paper looked to be my magic bullet.

Things I appreciated about it:

The wheelbase - once you get to the bike park and hit some flowing berms at 50kph it's amazing, a feeling like skiing or surfing almost.

The look - I think it's the most unreal looking frame in years, looks like a prototype mule

Sizing - S3 at 475mm was pretty much perfect, 468mm on the meta will feel very similar once I set bar height and stem length.

Long Chainstay - this was a love/hate for me, the faster the track the more I appreciated the rear center, but back home on the tighter tracks it was hard to get the 443mm chain stay to play ball.

Things I disliked:

Head angle - 63.5 sounds perfect on paper, but with 150mm of fork to play with at 25% sag it's more raked out than a DH bike. You really need to be aggressive on the bike to get the front to grip or it has to be very steep. I thought I would love that slack H/A on a trail bike but It led to a lot of wash out's. Once it got very steep it made sense. Australia isn't known for it's steep hills, when I rode in NZ the Geo was a LOT better. Dare I say it, but close to 65deg probably the best compromise between stability in the steeps and front end traction on flat corners.

The rear suspension - I owned an Enduro before this, so I should have come into this bike knowing the rear end would be sub par compared to my other bikes I've owned. Something about FSR that doesn't work with me. This is the issue of buying a bike through a Geometry sheet. I am extremely surprised Spec but a Coil on the carbon frames.

I don't regret owning by any means, a lot of trails I PB'd and was faster than my DH bike but it didn't instill me in confidence in some areas like gnarly rock gardens or hucking to flat. See what the META holds, Hopefully it's a great bike and I can enjoy my first Commencal experience. Smile

Posted: Jan 10, 2020 at 16:07 Quote
tom666 wrote:
Brasher wrote:

I'm going to buying a 180mm oneup v2 next month. Let me know how you get on with it!

Will do mate, Will build this up at end of month when the DHX2 arrives.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 13:46 Quote
Have a look at a canyon torque cf

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 13:56 Quote
Adamanddan wrote:
Have a look at a canyon torque cf

He already got a Meta

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005294
Mobile Version of Website