Sram chainring with Shimano 12 speed XT

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Sram chainring with Shimano 12 speed XT
Previous Page |
Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 6:49 Quote
Hi there I am planning on upgrading to Shimano XT 12 speed. I was planning on keeping my Gx eagle crankset to save costs. Has anyone had any problems running their HG12 chain on a Sram chainring? I read that you need to use a SRAM quick link. Is everything fine providing this is used?

Thanks

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 7:55 Quote
Most likely won't work. Shimano 12s chains are slightly different to the previous 11s or SRAM's 11/12s, and could have some pretty hefty chainsuck.

It might work, as some people ran 12spd Shimano chains on a Hope narrow wide chainring, but for example it will not work on a Raceface narrow wide chainring (I've tried it)

Wolftooth components seems to have a chainring that is compatible to your crankset and Shimano 12s chain:
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/direct-mount-chainrings-for-cane-creek-and-sram-cranks-for-shimano-12spd-hyperglide-chain

Limited colour and size, but they might expand the offering later?

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 8:13 Quote
I'm switching to Shimano 12 and I'm running the general Race Face direct mount chainring that says:

Compatible for 9, 10, 11 and 12 speed (Excluding Shimano 12-speed chains)

Do I really have to buy a new chainring after only 5 months on the old one or will I actually not notice any issue?

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 8:27 Quote
You will notice the difference, there was a rumbling sound and I could feel it in the pedals. Basically, the 12s Shimano chain had problems getting in the narrow wide teeth, and getting out of it.

I tried with a 2+ year old RaceFace chainring, didn't change anything. I'm now running the WTC one, but RaceFace has released one that fits the new chains.

Yes, this is absolutely stupid from Shimano ... I still have an almost brand new RaceFace chainring at home, that is actually a bit damaged by the 50-ish km I used it on (first with a Shimano chain, then with a SRAM chain)

You can use a SRAM 12s chain on a Shimano 12s cassette, but the shifting won't be as good. Tried it, the chain definitely plays a part ... (XTR derailleur, SLX cassette, XTR chain, wolf tooth components chainring)

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 8:31 Quote
Well, shit. Thanks for the info.

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 8:40 Quote
Also, definitely use the Shimano way (new way ? I don't know, instructions came with the chain or cassette I think) to determine what chain length you should have, it does play a bigger part than what it used to. I cut mine a bit too short the first time, shifting was a bit shit. Added a few links back, it was waaaay better.

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 14:33 Quote
Thank you for all the information, I ended up going for XT cranks and SLX chainring as it was half the price.

Posted: Jun 16, 2020 at 16:04 Quote
Race face Oval works with shimano 12s btw. Got it and works perfect if someone wants to know.

Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 6:25 Quote
A bit late replying but.... I run a shimano xtr 12 speed setup with SRAM 12 speed cassette and use either a sram chain or cheaper one (which I am trying now to see how it lasts) no issues in over 900 miles, chain lasted 720 miles, need to change my chain ring now, going for a 'decent' 12 speed one, not sure what yet.

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 14:06 Quote
I have a Shimano 12sp XT cranks, sprocket, derailleur, and shifter. I had to go SRAM cassette. Now, what chain do I use? I’d like to stay XT. Any help? Thanks!

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 18:02 Quote
Motoxposer wrote:
I have a Shimano 12sp XT cranks, sprocket, derailleur, and shifter. I had to go SRAM cassette. Now, what chain do I use? I’d like to stay XT. Any help? Thanks!

It's been my experience that a Sram Eagle (NX, GX, X01) chain works better with Shimano gearing than a Shimano XT chain with non-Shimano gearing. It might have to do with the hyperglide technology that Shimano chains use. I recently purchased a new Niner Air 9 RDO that came with a Shimano XT derailleur, cassette, and chain but the cranks and chainring were Race Face Turbine that were specifically made for Shimano 12-speed. The Shimano chain would not engage or release smoothly from the Race Face chainring. It was so loud and rough as to make the bike unridable. My LBS checked everything out and was unable to find the source of the trouble. They suggested riding it for a while to see if it was a break-in issue. After 100 miles it only got worse so I threw on a spare Sram X01 Eagle chain and problem solved. Smooth as butter.
Anyway, that's my 2-cents worth based upon personal experience.

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 18:55 Quote
jimmytang1 wrote:
Motoxposer wrote:

It's been my experience that a Sram Eagle (NX, GX, X01) chain works better with Shimano gearing than a Shimano XT chain with non-Shimano gearing. It might have to do with the hyperglide technology that Shimano chains use. I recently purchased a new Niner Air 9 RDO that came with a Shimano XT derailleur, cassette, and chain but the cranks and chainring were Race Face Turbine that were specifically made for Shimano 12-speed. The Shimano chain would not engage or release smoothly from the Race Face chainring. It was so loud and rough as to make the bike unridable. My LBS checked everything out and was unable to find the source of the trouble. They suggested riding it for a while to see if it was a break-in issue. After 100 miles it only got worse so I threw on a spare Sram X01 Eagle chain and problem solved. Smooth as butter.

You got a bad setup or something. I only use Race Face and XT and it's smooth as silk. Someone put your bike together wrong.

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 19:27 Quote
Explodo wrote:
jimmytang1 wrote:
Motoxposer wrote:

You got a bad setup or something. I only use Race Face and XT and it's smooth as silk. Someone put your bike together wrong.

I wish I could figure it out. The chain doesn't disengage smoothly at the bottom of the chainring. Every narrow link seems to stick and then pop out. There is visible deflection in the chain as it is pulled upward by the narrow chainring teeth before popping loose. I am unable to figure if the tooth is catching on the roller or if the chain is sticking to the tooth side-to-side. Yet the chain rolls smoothly through the derailleur and over the cassette. It's only a problem with the Race Face chainring. I've checked chain length, direction, master link, all derailleur adjustments, lubrication, looked for bent derailleur or hanger, loose chainring, and alignment. Everything looks good. When I replaced the Shimano chain with the X01, the problem disappeared. Baffling. My LBS tells me they've seen the problem before with the same setup on different bike brands. If you have any ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears.

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 7:19 Quote
jimmytang1 wrote:
Explodo wrote:
jimmytang1 wrote:

I wish I could figure it out. The chain doesn't disengage smoothly at the bottom of the chainring. Every narrow link seems to stick and then pop out. There is visible deflection in the chain as it is pulled upward by the narrow chainring teeth before popping loose. I am unable to figure if the tooth is catching on the roller or if the chain is sticking to the tooth side-to-side. Yet the chain rolls smoothly through the derailleur and over the cassette. It's only a problem with the Race Face chainring. I've checked chain length, direction, master link, all derailleur adjustments, lubrication, looked for bent derailleur or hanger, loose chainring, and alignment. Everything looks good. When I replaced the Shimano chain with the X01, the problem disappeared. Baffling. My LBS tells me they've seen the problem before with the same setup on different bike brands. If you have any ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears.

Can you tell if the chainring is the one that is specific to shimano 12 speed? Race Face sells them as a distinct part for shimano 12 speed, though I don't actually know what makes it specific.

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 9:53 Quote
Explodo wrote:
jimmytang1 wrote:
Explodo wrote:

Can you tell if the chainring is the one that is specific to shimano 12 speed? Race Face sells them as a distinct part for shimano 12 speed, though I don't actually know what makes it specific.

The teeth are more narrow on the SH 12sp specific chainrings to accommodate for the Shimano 12 speed chain, which is narrower than a SRAM 12sp chain. Either you got the wrong chainring on your bike, or it’s a manufacturing defect, it sounds like the teeth are too wide for the Shimano chain, which is why the SRAM chain fixed the issue.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006330
Mobile Version of Website