FloatX2 fit on trek fuel EX8? 2019 model

PB Forum :: Trek
FloatX2 fit on trek fuel EX8? 2019 model
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 6:07 Quote
I have a 2019 fuel ex8 and i want to change the stock reactiv 210*55 fox dps. I was wondering if a X2 would fit?

Posted: Jan 10, 2020 at 10:52 Quote
BillyBoy0519 wrote:
I have a 2019 fuel ex8 and i want to change the stock reactiv 210*55 fox dps. I was wondering if a X2 would fit?

With the Fox X2, the body is quite large so there is a chance of it hitting the downtube under full compression. However, the Fox DPX2 would be a better fit and is offered in the same size as your stock length that we designed the bike around, 210x52.5mm. The DPX2 would be a great option if you're looking for more control on the rear end. The X2 is quite favorable for our Slash and Remedy users since it focused for enduro/DH riding.

-Mitch

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 13:51 Quote
trek wrote:
BillyBoy0519 wrote:

I ran one for awhile on my 17 9.9 Ex with issues. Ended up with a dpx2, but like Mitch said the dpx2 a much better option for overall riding.

With the Fox X2, the body is quite large so there is a chance of it hitting the downtube under full compression. However, the Fox DPX2 would be a better fit and is offered in the same size as your stock length that we designed the bike around, 210x52.5mm. The DPX2 would be a great option if you're looking for more control on the rear end. The X2 is quite favorable for our Slash and Remedy users since it focused for enduro/DH riding.

-Mitch

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 7:30 Quote
trek wrote:
BillyBoy0519 wrote:

-Mitch

Thanks so much Mitch. Can always count on Trek Support. You guys reply so fast on all my trek question threads.

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2020 at 9:35 Quote
Reading this now and seeing this for the 2019 with Full Floater. I see you can get the X2 in 210X55 to fit the 2020 Fuel EX with no full floater. I have a buddy who is running one on his now, and am looking at doing the same, as my last two shocks were Cane Creek Double Bair Air CS, and Cane Creek DBInline Air. Looking at the X2 for the fine tuning abilities. I take it this is good for the 2020 Fuel EX as I see it on mu buddies and it clears.

Mitch, have you seen this, or have any recommendations?

Posted: Jan 30, 2020 at 10:15 Quote
DJStrick wrote:
Reading this now and seeing this for the 2019 with Full Floater. I see you can get the X2 in 210X55 to fit the 2020 Fuel EX with no full floater. I have a buddy who is running one on his now, and am looking at doing the same, as my last two shocks were Cane Creek Double Bair Air CS, and Cane Creek DBInline Air. Looking at the X2 for the fine tuning abilities. I take it this is good for the 2020 Fuel EX as I see it on mu buddies and it clears.

The X2 has a much better chance of not contacting the frame on the 2020 FEX over the previous years - and looks like your friend's bike confirms that!

I have actually yet to see or ride the X2 on a 2020 FEX, but I think it comes down to preference where some may like the DPX2 since it fits their style of riding more. I like the X2 on my Remedy and I could see myself using it on a FEX as well since it suits my style more. The adjustment out of X2 and DPX2 are both fine, you can really tune it to your liking.

-Mitch

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2020 at 11:13 Quote
Rad, Thanks Mitch,

He is a bigger dude at 6' 2' and 250 pounds, so he went that route along with a 36 Fork with 150mm of travel. I am running a Pike Ultimate up front with 140mm in order to keep travel the same as it came with the Fox 34.

I helped him put it on and it has little bit of space to clear the down tube behind the can which we let all the air out and compressed it all the way down just to make sure. The piggyback does make contact with the bottom of the water bottle cage, so a B-RAD relocation system from Wolf Tooth was required to Remedy (No pun intended) this.

I like to ride varying different terrain all over Wisconsin here where I live to include the Bike Park near my house, as well as the Enduro races of the Lake Superior Gravity Series in the Michigan UP and MN. I like having the ability to make minor tweaks to my HSC and HSR mainly as these seem to affect me the most with varying terrain types.

Given your experience, and credibility, I just wanted a second opinion to ensure I was making a good choice on a shock that would:
1) Fit/clear in my frame
2) Fit my riding style and terrain
3) Not cause any long term damage down the road
4)Look BA of course too!

Thanks again, and maybe I'll see ya around the Trek Trails (NICA Events, riding with friend employees) or at a LSGS event this summer!

Cheers!

Darrell

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 8:42 Quote
Mitch, are we voiding the warranty on our Treks when changing the rear shock?
Im planning to get an dpx2 on my 2020 9.9 model. Fox though says it will void the Trek warranty and probably mess up the damping??

trek wrote:
DJStrick wrote:

The X2 has a much better chance of not contacting the frame on the 2020 FEX over the previous years - and looks like your friend's bike confirms that!

I have actually yet to see or ride the X2 on a 2020 FEX, but I think it comes down to preference where some may like the DPX2 since it fits their style of riding more. I like the X2 on my Remedy and I could see myself using it on a FEX as well since it suits my style more. The adjustment out of X2 and DPX2 are both fine, you can really tune it to your liking.

-Mitch

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 14:30 Quote
DJStrick wrote:
Rad, Thanks Mitch,

He is a bigger dude at 6' 2' and 250 pounds, so he went that route along with a 36 Fork with 150mm of travel. I am running a Pike Ultimate up front with 140mm in order to keep travel the same as it came with the Fox 34.

I helped him put it on and it has little bit of space to clear the down tube behind the can which we let all the air out and compressed it all the way down just to make sure. The piggyback does make contact with the bottom of the water bottle cage, so a B-RAD relocation system from Wolf Tooth was required to Remedy (No pun intended) this.

I like to ride varying different terrain all over Wisconsin here where I live to include the Bike Park near my house, as well as the Enduro races of the Lake Superior Gravity Series in the Michigan UP and MN. I like having the ability to make minor tweaks to my HSC and HSR mainly as these seem to affect me the most with varying terrain types.

Given your experience, and credibility, I just wanted a second opinion to ensure I was making a good choice on a shock that would:
1) Fit/clear in my frame
2) Fit my riding style and terrain
3) Not cause any long term damage down the road
4)Look BA of course too!

Thanks again, and maybe I'll see ya around the Trek Trails (NICA Events, riding with friend employees) or at a LSGS event this summer!

Cheers!

Darrell

No prob!

I think the X2 would suit your riding best since you seen to ride enduro style events. I would assume your focus is on the downs and less on the ups. The DPX2 is great for pedaling and small bumps that most trail and XC riders like, but the X2 can handle the larger bumps and keep that rear wheel planted when descending.

In short, if you like to huck and jump around, the X2 if your new BFF.

You'll see me at the Farm for sure - maybe at some of the other events including Copper Harbor/Marquette/

-Mitch

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 14:34 Quote
Bikenhiken wrote:
Mitch, are we voiding the warranty on our Treks when changing the rear shock?
Im planning to get an dpx2 on my 2020 9.9 model. Fox though says it will void the Trek warranty and probably mess up the damping??

trek wrote:
DJStrick wrote:

-Mitch

You are not voiding the warranty of your bike. The way we look at warranty is to locate a manufacture defect, but if the shock causes damage, it is outside of that warranty since it isn't a manufacturer defect. Hopefully that makes sense!

When buying a new shock, match the sizing but also take the air out of the shock to see if there is contact at full compression and at full extension too.

-Mitch

O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 19:50 Quote
trek wrote:

-Mitch

Question for ya Mitch, do you have any experience with a coil (specifically the dhx2, but any others aswell) on the remedy? Im debating between the dpx2, x2, and dhx2 for my 2020 remedy 9.9. I prefer a comfy ride and something that soaks up bumps more than being "poppy" due to past injuries so I'm thinking coil, however, looking at suspension diagrams, it seems the full floater was more progressive than the new design (granted the suspension diagrams I found may not be entirely accurate)...

2017 Remedy - Beginning Leverage = 2.97, Ending Leverage = 2.35, Leverage gain = 2.97/2.35 = 1.26
2020 Remedy - Beginning Leverage = 2.92, Ending Leverage = 2.38, Leverage gain = 2.92/2.38 = 1.22

So maybe I should stick to an air shock? Oh the dilemma! If you have any experience or any input at all, I'd really appreciate hearing it!

Thanks,
Nate

Posted: Feb 7, 2020 at 9:59 Quote
schulte1400 wrote:

Question for ya Mitch, do you have any experience with a coil (specifically the dhx2, but any others aswell) on the remedy? Im debating between the dpx2, x2, and dhx2 for my 2020 remedy 9.9. I prefer a comfy ride and something that soaks up bumps more than being "poppy" due to past injuries so I'm thinking coil, however, looking at suspension diagrams, it seems the full floater was more progressive than the new design (granted the suspension diagrams I found may not be entirely accurate)...

2017 Remedy - Beginning Leverage = 2.97, Ending Leverage = 2.35, Leverage gain = 2.97/2.35 = 1.26
2020 Remedy - Beginning Leverage = 2.92, Ending Leverage = 2.38, Leverage gain = 2.92/2.38 = 1.22

So maybe I should stick to an air shock? Oh the dilemma! If you have any experience or any input at all, I'd really appreciate hearing it!

Thanks,
Nate

Hey Nate, I don't personally have experience with a coil on a Remedy, but I have a coworker who loves the DHX2 currently on his Slash. You will definitely have a softer ride moving to a coil shock, but I find with the right adjustments, you can have a soft rear end with the X2 as well. On a trip we took to Copper Harbor, I adjusted the X2 to soften the ride when riding those trails. Back here at HQ for the local trails, I keep it more firm. So adjustment can really come into play.

You might be able to get some better Remedy coil feedback on THIS thread as I have seen some great coil builds there!

-Mitch

Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 10:15 Quote
I have a axs seat post on my trek rail,it slowly drops away as I'm biking,so have to put it up every now and then any ideas?

Posted: Mar 6, 2020 at 8:57 Quote
Dononabike wrote:
I have a axs seat post on my trek rail,it slowly drops away as I'm biking,so have to put it up every now and then any ideas?

You might want to do the Vent Valve reset on pg 10 on their service manual.

Linked here

-Mitch

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2020 at 6:27 Quote
I have posted pictures of my Fox Float X2 mounted on my 2020 Trek Fuel EX 8 (Aluminum Frame). It is the same size eye to eye and stroke (210x55mm) as the stock ReActive Shock. I have let all of the air out and compressed it all the way down with no contact. However, if you run a water bottle cage, the piggyback reservoir will make contact with that, so you have two options:

1. Get rid of it and use a backpack or hip pack with water bladder, or water bottle holsters.
2. Get some kind of bottle cage relocation kit. I use the Wolf tooth Components B-RAD system

I am running this set up along with a buddy who has a 2020 Fuel EX 8. I cannot confirm whether this fits the same with the carbon frames, so if you are looking at this shock with the carbon frame, you will need to check fit yourself. I have several rides on it here at my local trails in Wisconsin and have tuned it to my liking which is very planted yet firm for the climbs. All in All, I am happy with it.

Feel free to go to my profile page and find the picture folder labeled "Fox Factory X2". I have pictures showing the clearance on the seat tube as well as how the B-RAD water bottle cage relocation set up with the bottle in the cage. Hope this helps.

Cheers All!

Darrell

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007795
Mobile Version of Website