Im looking at getting 2 bikes, which types?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Im looking at getting 2 bikes, which types?
Previous Page |
Posted: Jan 11, 2020 at 3:15 Quote
I currently own and use a Santa Cruz Bronson V3. Recently i’ve been demoing some 29’ers and love them. Im 6’2” and just feel more ‘in’ the bike. I ride all different type of terrain, from trail centres and natural long ‘XC’ stuff, to many days in the parks and more downhill style terrain such as stuff at Innerleithen. I also have yearly trips to the Alps. My dilemma is I'm looking at getting 2 bikes, my choice would either be a good quality enduro bike, that I could use for the gnarlier terrain and bike parks, and a hardtail for the XC and trail centre. The other choice would be a quality well rounded trail bike that I could use for most things and a downhill bike for dedicated uplift days.
I live in the East Midlands so I don’t have much local riding, therefore spend every weekend travelling somewhere different which makes this decision even harder.

Posted: Jan 11, 2020 at 6:38 Quote
Based on your description, I would get a long travel 180mm enduro rig to handle all your enduro and downhill/lift days and a long travel xc (ie: Norco Optic) type bike to handle the rest of your riding spectrum.

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 0:22 Quote
In a similar boat but just went with one bike. Got a cotic rocketmax, 29er, 150mm rear 160mm front. It handles everything from South Wales steep gnarly tech to Alps to local xc rides. Yeah it’s a lot of bike to pedal around mellower stuff but it’s by no means a chore. I race it and do uplift days on it. Everyone I read I ride with has a similar bike.
I guess I’m just not interested in maintaining two bikes and am very happy with the one I got so like riding it!

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 3:51 Quote
Good agro 29er ht. And a 160 ish enduro bike all day for me.
Don't need a dh bike unless your hitting the massive stuff. And they don't hold there value in uk. Plus if one of your bikes go down for tech reasons you can still use the other which you can't with a dh bike
I love having 2 different bikes aswell . So much more fun and can ride what your mood feels like

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 11:19 Quote
markg1150 wrote:
Don't need a dh bike unless your hitting the massive stuff. And they don't hold there value in uk. Plus if one of your bikes go down for tech reasons you can still use the other which you can't with a dh bike
I love having 2 different bikes aswell . So much more fun and can ride what your mood feels like

That sounds like what I was leaning towards. Ive got my ‘1 bike that does it all’ and I feel its just not quite right for the type of riding I do. If im going super gnarly its not enough, and for the mellow rides, it’s too much.

Plus demo’d the Stanton Switch9er HT the other week and it was so much fun! Especially at trail centres where there groomed anyway, you dont need much travel

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 16:12 Quote
markg1150 wrote:

This is what I have, perfect mix. Giant XTC 29er HT for XC and multidays and Intense Carbine for bike park and everything inbetween

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 12:08 Quote
Long travel ht and short travel fs
Both 29'rs

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 7:15 Quote
My 2 bikes are Enduro (Altitude) and XC (Element). Contemplating a 3rd bike (Solo) for gravel/road, but the XC bike does that good enough.
2 motorcycles too, Adventure (KTM 790R) and Dual Sport (DRZ400).
Having 2 bikes is always better than only one choice.

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 10:12 Quote
daniel96 wrote:
markg1150 wrote:

That sounds like what I was leaning towards. Ive got my ‘1 bike that does it all’ and I feel its just not quite right for the type of riding I do. If im going super gnarly its not enough, and for the mellow rides, it’s too much.

Plus demo’d the Stanton Switch9er HT the other week and it was so much fun! Especially at trail centres where there groomed anyway, you dont need much travel

Same situation as you and live in the same place. I have a YT Capra and a Cotic BFe. Works pretty well for me. Capra gets ridden in the Alps, the peaks and more DH orientated stuff, BFe for everything else.

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 10:41 Quote
Enduro and XC hardtail for me.

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 12:53 Quote
Could always try a Guerrilla Gravity? (dunno if they ship overseas from the US) but the seatstay kits could offer you 2 different bikes with the same front triangle. I think it would be cheaper than buying 2 separate bikes?

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 15:28 Quote
an enduro bike, and a dirt jumper. no doubt. A DJ to accompany a trail bike, will increase your skills so much. when I started riding my DJ, I got soo much better on my enduro

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 13:18 Quote
traqs wrote:
an enduro bike, and a dirt jumper. no doubt. A DJ to accompany a trail bike, will increase your skills so much. when I started riding my DJ, I got soo much better on my enduro

Thats not a bad idea! Can pick up DJ bikes for next to nothing and I could save for a trail HT in the meantime. Not many place’s to ride a DJ bike near where I live

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 13:18 Quote
Mike-Gambino wrote:
Could always try a Guerrilla Gravity? (dunno if they ship overseas from the US) but the seatstay kits could offer you 2 different bikes with the same front triangle. I think it would be cheaper than buying 2 separate bikes?

Didn't know that, might be worth a look into.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005225
Mobile Version of Website